PDA

View Full Version : 4 beeps of death!

Eltigre88
07-11-07, 08:57 AM
I recently bought the 8800GTX and since then I have had issues with 4 beeps twice and nothing to the screen. Also on BF2142 it will lock up and then go to black screen and I have to reboot. Also I have got the overclock failure thing a couple times and I'm not overclocking. I'm really leaning toward power supply issues. With my 7800GTX I was having the same issues but fewer and further in between. Please give me your input. Thanks.

TierMann
07-11-07, 09:08 AM
Have you tried moving the modular connectors around on the PSU's end? There are 2 12v rails on that Ultra X2 and maybe there are just too many devices connected to the same rail as your 2 GTX connections.

Eltigre88
07-11-07, 09:28 AM
Do you know what rails operate what components?

According to ultraproduct.com one rail is dedicated to the CPU.

TierMann
07-11-07, 10:01 AM
I didn't notice that one was dedicated to the CPU, which leaves you with either 17a or 18a on the usable 12v rail for your 2 SATA drives in raid and GTX connections.

Anyone else think that seems low?

Eltigre88
07-11-07, 11:50 AM
I didn't notice that one was dedicated to the CPU, which leaves you with either 17a or 18a on the usable 12v rail for your 2 SATA drives in raid and GTX connections.

Anyone else think that seems low?

According to EVGA the card req's 28A and 450W PSU. So I think this is my issue. Is it possible to hook up another PSU to just the graphics card? Would the PSU turn on if it was just hooked to the graphics card?

licker
07-11-07, 11:57 AM
According to EVGA the card req's 28A and 450W PSU. So I think this is my issue. Is it possible to hook up another PSU to just the graphics card? Would the PSU turn on if it was just hooked to the graphics card?

I have been using the Thermaltake 250W Bay powersupply that's only running one of my cards. Before getting the second powersupply I had a ton of problems with my SLI setup (e.x BSOD, Power Loss, etc etc). I think I paid about 70 bucks for mine but ever since I put mine in I havent had a single problem too date. And yes It will turn on only when the computer is turned on. :afro:

Eltigre88
07-11-07, 12:25 PM
I have been using the Thermaltake 250W Bay powersupply that's only running one of my cards. Before getting the second powersupply I had a ton of problems with my SLI setup (e.x BSOD, Power Loss, etc etc). I think I paid about 70 bucks for mine but ever since I put mine in I havent had a single problem too date. And yes It will turn on only when the computer is turned on. :afro:

Thanks that is great news to here. Some people are frowning on this GPU PSU.

lduguay
07-11-07, 12:47 PM
If you are talking about an ATX PSU, you would need to connect Pin 11 - PSON# of your second PSU to Pin 11 -PSON# on the PSU that is connected to the MB. So when you press the Power ON button both PSU will power up.

Where would you put your other PSU? It would be better just to get a more powerful PSU. A good PSU can last at least 2 builds.

Eltigre88
07-11-07, 03:02 PM
If you are talking about an ATX PSU, you would need to connect Pin 11 - PSON# of your second PSU to Pin 11 -PSON# on the PSU that is connected to the MB. So when you press the Power ON button both PSU will power up.

Where would you put your other PSU? It would be better just to get a more powerful PSU. A good PSU can last at least 2 builds.

I decided to get the GPU PSU and will let everyone know how it goes.