PDA

View Full Version : Why is AERO not listed under Themes?

Pixelsmack
07-11-07, 02:58 PM
I am running Vista Business Edition 64 which supports it. Yet it is not available in the pull down for themes or appearance.

I have the latest NVIDIA driver installed for the 8800GTS card.

Any ideas?

SYSTEM:
Quad Core
Vista 64 Business Edition
6GB DDR2
8800GTS (640mb)
250GB SATAII HD

TierMann
07-11-07, 03:10 PM
The theme is called Windows Vista.
From the "Personalize" menu, click "Window Color and Appearance", then choose Windows Aero.
Once you click OK the "Window Color and Appearance" will bring up the Aero color changer the next time you use it.

Pixelsmack
07-11-07, 03:55 PM
"Windows Aero" is missing from there. I only have these....

http://www.pixelsmack.com/incoming/thm.jpg

Bman212121
07-11-07, 04:17 PM
It's in there, but it is in a jacked up spot. If you can hit the windows key + tab and it turns the screens into a 3d effect, you have aero already running. You need to have multiple windows open for this to work.

If you right click on the desktop, and then choose the color and apperence, it should show a bunch of different colors. You need to click choose more colors (Something like that) and then you'll see aero in the list.

Pixelsmack
07-11-07, 04:28 PM
I have Aero running on my home machine just fine. I know what to look for.

I guess the confusion with my work machine is that Aero seems to be missing completely. As my image in my last reply shows. Also, WINDOWS+TAB just flips the windows old school style.

TierMann
07-11-07, 06:36 PM
Look in Windows\Resources\Themes
Sounds like someone removed Aero from your work machine.

Pixelsmack
07-11-07, 07:44 PM
It's there and when I double click..."Your admin has disabled changing visual...blah blah"

I have my answer.

Thanks everyone.

TierMann
07-11-07, 09:04 PM
Those bastards!

Now you know why atleast, hehe.

FastRedPonyCar
07-12-07, 02:07 PM
I've got a better question. I've got a licensed version of ultimate and I've got the same problem. It's not on my list.

Alt tabbing or going to appearnce settings to the color scheme brings up vista basic, standard, classic, etc. no Aero. :(

Aero is in the resources\themes folder and when I double click the aero theme file, it takes me to the theme settings and the theme listed is windows vista but no aero.

What gives?

Edit: does it require you to have a video card in use to even display it as an option to use? I'm using one of our IBM R52 thinkpads at our office.

lduguay
07-12-07, 03:11 PM
It's there and when I double click..."Your admin has disabled changing visual...blah blah"

I have my answer.

Thanks everyone.
Stupid admins, just reinstall Vista from scratch, and never connect to their domain! (lee63) :p

lduguay
07-12-07, 03:12 PM
I've got a better question. I've got a licensed version of ultimate and I've got the same problem. It's not on my list.

Alt tabbing or going to appearnce settings to the color scheme brings up vista basic, standard, classic, etc. no Aero. :(

Aero is in the resources\themes folder and when I double click the aero theme file, it takes me to the theme settings and the theme listed is windows vista but no aero.

What gives?

Edit: does it require you to have a video card in use to even display it as an option to use? I'm using one of our IBM R52 thinkpads at our office.
What is your Vista performance index on that R52?

FastRedPonyCar
07-12-07, 03:15 PM
Processor - 3.8
Memory - 4.4
Graphics - 1.9
Gaming graphics - 1
Hard drive - 4.3

It's a beater, I know. It's just for testing our office applications though.

JasonPC
07-12-07, 03:25 PM
I think you need a base rating of 2 for graphics to enable Aero. Is it an integrated graphics chip or is it an older graphic card (say GeForce 4 or Radeon 9200 and below)?

FastRedPonyCar
07-12-07, 11:11 PM
Some generic ATI chip. It's built into the laptop's mobo. I thought there was a way to force it to show up?

evox
07-13-07, 12:59 AM
Some generic ATI chip. It's built into the laptop's mobo. I thought there was a way to force it to show up?

Aero Needs 128MB DX9 Card to work (Atleast FX5200) Aero didn't work on my ATI Radeon 9200SE either :p

FastRedPonyCar
07-19-07, 06:34 PM
Yup. I installed it on my PC at home and Aero was automatically turned on. Hooray