PDA

View Full Version : 2 faulty 8800GTX in a row, please help!

Armed_Baboon
07-12-07, 07:08 PM
Hi all,
About 6 months ago I purchased an Albatron 8800GTX card here in Australia. It worked great for about 5 months until one day when I was loading a game I got a blue screen. after rebooting the pc would post and load windows but when the login screen should have appeared, the monitor reported "no signal" and turned off. The only way I could get the windows desktop to display was to load into safe mode, which reduced the GTX to a standard VGA adapter. So after trying alot of different things, I took the card back to where I got it and 3 days later they supplied me with a brand new card. that was about 3 weeks ago, and now this new card has done the same thing.

now my complete specs are:

Asus A8N Sli Premium motherboard
AMD 3800+ X2 CPU
4x 512MB Corsair DDR1 RAM
Antec True Power 550Watt PSU

my cpu is heavily overclocked to 2.6GHZ, up from 2GHZ stock. But I am careful to not increase the PCIE bus speed, I have it locked at 33.3

So my question is, do you think it is possible that I just got two dud cards in a row, or is there something in my system that is causing this failure? I figure that the vendor will replace this second faulty card but if it happens again then they might refuse to replace it, because 3 faulty cards in a row would be too much of a coincidence. My power supply is fairly high quality, and I am supplying power to the card via the two power connectors that plug into the cards PCB and I have supplied power to the PCIE power socket on the MOBO.

The strange thing is that both times, the fault occured after a windows automatic update, though no new video drivers were installed in the update.

any help would be appreciated.

SLippe
07-12-07, 07:20 PM
I doubt it's your card. PCI-e Bus Speed @ 33.3? You sure that's right? And what do you mean you're supplying power to the PCI-e slot? Of course you are, it's part of your motherboad. :) Could be your PSU, however. Doesn't really sound like a driver issue to me. Hopefully someone else will have some insight.

ynnek
07-12-07, 08:26 PM
The odds are against you that you would get two faulty cards.

Also, the symptoms really sound like a unstable system, rather than a faulty vid card, and I wasn't surprised to see that you were OC'd.

When Overclocked, all bets are off.. Return back to stock settings and then try. Hopefully no damage was done to your other system components, that still lingers around.

Armed_Baboon
07-13-07, 02:16 AM
I should have mentioned that when I added the new card, and changed nothing else, the computer worked fine again. The fact that Albatron replaced the card indicates that it was faulty (unless they really don't care).

jcrox
07-13-07, 02:45 AM
Albatron...eek. Would never buy that brand myself.