PDA

View Full Version : Vista games? Really that bad?

Eltigre88
07-13-07, 09:21 AM
So all you Halo 2 guys how is this game running with DX10 And Vista? I have heard that gaming on a Vista system is way too buggy and you take a performance hit going over to the dark side. Is any of this true? I know when CRYSIS comes out I will be buying Vista, but when I get the Demo/beta I will see how it looks with DX9C. I'll let you know how it goes onec Fileplanet releases the demo. Please post your experiences with DX10 and Vista so we all know what to expect. Thanks Guys!!

nekrosoft13
07-13-07, 09:31 AM
So all you Halo 2 guys how is this game running with DX10 And Vista? I have heard that gaming on a Vista system is way too buggy and you take a performance hit going over to the dark side. Is any of this true? I know when CRYSIS comes out I will be buying Vista, but when I get the Demo/beta I will see how it looks with DX9C. I'll let you know how it goes onec Fileplanet releases the demo. Please post your experiences with DX10 and Vista so we all know what to expect. Thanks Guys!!

:POKE:

WOW

where to start.

1) halo2 is not DX10

2) halo2 is one very bad port

3) gaming on vista now with the latest drivers is great

4) in most cases same performance as xp, in few cases higher performance. in rare case lower peformance (but still very playable.

TierMann
07-13-07, 09:52 AM
What he said ^

Halo 2 is DX9, and could have been ported a lot better. Not like they didn't take their time on it :p.

Eltigre88
07-13-07, 10:51 AM
Good point on Halo 2 for taking sooo looong on it.

Athena
07-13-07, 03:16 PM
who did the port on Halo2? Did bungie keep this one in-house or send it out like they did with the 1st Halo for PC?

Digital_Trans
07-13-07, 03:23 PM
Well, for me gaming has sucked on Windows Vista X64

1.) Resident Evil 4 won't play

2.) S.T.A.L.K.E.R. won't play

3.) Counter Strike Source won't play it crashes

heatlesssun
07-13-07, 03:27 PM
I too pretty much agree with nekrosoft13 as far as Vista gaming goes, at least 32bit Vista. I'm not going to deal with 64bit Vista until end of the year/Q1 2008. Vista has gotten a bad wrap for a couple reasons, and a lot of that had to do with drivers. Quite frankly they just weren't ready at Vista's release. What a difference six months has made!

Vista is pretty good to go now, even in gaming. In fact, I'd rather game in Vista now. It's a bit more solid than XP, not that XP wasn't pretty stable with good drivers, but I think Vista is a little better. Just my subjective view.

As far as Halo 2 for Windows goes, its actually a faithful port, just doesn't add anything new for the PC, espcially considering that its three years old and could have gotten a good make over for the PC. But Halo 3 is coming. Might actually get an Xbox 360 for this game. I just don't do consoles.

The PC, with the right hardware well configured, is just a much better gaming platform IMHO. Actually, I just can't stand game pads! The keyboard and mouse just work much better for me.

nekrosoft13
07-13-07, 03:35 PM

all 3 work, and what excatly won't play mean? Thats like going to your mechanic and saying yo, my car doesn't drive.

jcrox
07-13-07, 03:44 PM
I have yet to find a game that doesn't work perfectly fine in Vista, I am running the 32bit version though, haven't tried the 64bit version...afraid to right now after all the difficulties I had with XP 64bit for a while there.

Far Cry, Oblivion, Stalker, Lost Planet, CS:S, HL2, Fear, Doom 3, Quake 4, Company of Heros, NWN2, Spell Force 2, CoD, GRAW heck even my kids Bionicle Heros game works great.

walterman
07-13-07, 03:44 PM
Just something to add:

You need more RAM under Vista to do the same.

If you've 4GB, prolly, performance will be as good as with XP & 2GB.

Personally, i prefer to turn off swap file, but if you can live with disk swapping ...

jcrox
07-13-07, 03:46 PM

Try taking that physics card out and removing the drivers. It probably wont help you any but I did hear of a whole 1 person that had that help him with Vista or so he claimed.

jcrox
07-13-07, 03:49 PM
Just something to add:

You need more RAM under Vista to do the same.

If you've 4GB, prolly, performance will be as good as with XP & 2GB.

Personally, i prefer to turn off swap file, but if you can live with disk swapping ...

I get very little if any performance drop when comparing to XP and in some cases actually better performance. I tried an extra 2 gigs (granted 32bit doesn't address all of it) and it didn't make any difference for me, although some people claim it has helped them.

Uberpwnage
07-13-07, 03:57 PM
64 bit has been fine for me, all my games work, maybe a slight drop in performance from 32 bit, but overall its been good. I haven't noticed the need for 4GB yet, although I do plan on upgrading soon for Crysis etc. The drivers keep getting better, 163.11 added nice performance increases, especially in DX10. Who knows, maybe by the end of the year DX10 will be pretty close to DX9 performance.

Slammin
07-14-07, 08:13 AM
I'm a gamer and I run Vista64 exclusively. The only driver I had to wait for was for my Thrustmaster Cougar, and I'm running a beta driver for it right now and it works perfectly.

Vista64 with new hardware runs games as good, and sometimes even better than XP. I did try Vista64 on my old system - Opteron 170@3.0Ghz, Sli 7800GTX, 2GB ram, and it gamed a LOT slower than it did with XP, but at that time, the Vista video drivers did suck. I haven't tried it with newer Vista video drivers, but still back then, comparing Vista performance on that box to this box, I can say that newer hardware makes a huge difference and Vista really does benefit the most from it.

Eltigre88
07-14-07, 10:47 AM
I figured there would be mixed feelings.

WeReWoLf
07-14-07, 12:55 PM
Only games that don't work for me are Scarface (works, but textures are fubar) and Dark Messiah (plays, but crashes all the time)

Everything else works sweet.