PDA

View Full Version : Problems with display properties in anything over det 40

meglamanaic
04-02-03, 09:19 AM
I've been trying to install some reasonably up to date drivers.
I can't use any of the non-WHQL certified ones because of the well advertised total ****up nvidia have made out of macrovision which prevents me from playing DVDs.

I have tried them anyway, and the latest WHQL certified ones, and the same thing allways happens.
Whenever it was that nVidia moved from thier 3 tab system in advanced display properties to the single tab with the silly pull out menu they messed something up. ANY drivers which use that pull out menu system cause the Display Properties box to crash out when you click the "nVidia GeForce 3" tab on my system (i've seen it working on a mates machine which is why I know what it's meant to look like".
The error is "rundll32.exe caused an exception calling <some windows call I can't remember>, c:\windows\system32\desk.cpl".

I've now gone back to 30.82.
I gotta tell you, since it looks like I won't be able to use ANY DX9 complient drivers it's looking increasing likely my DX9 card will be a 9700 Pro.
Oh yes, there's also the minor points that the drivers for a 9700 will let me play DVDs whereas nVidia's wont, and that a 9700 doesn't sound like a small jet aircraft (it can actually be run without a fan).
I don't know at what point nVidia decided that quantity of driver releases of quality of drivers was the way to go, but this is seriously starting to piss me off.

Does anyone have a fix for, or know of a fix for, this stupid situation?

:mad:

Numpsy
04-02-03, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by meglamanaic
I've been trying to install some reasonably up to date drivers.
I can't use any of the non-WHQL certified ones because of the well advertised total ****up nvidia have made out of macrovision which prevents me from playing DVDs.

My DVD playback was broken with all drivers from 40.72 up, but it seems to be working again with the 43.45's (though h/w accel causes glitches in powerdvd).
This is with a geforce3 ti200.

I have tried them anyway, and the latest WHQL certified ones, and the same thing allways happens.
Whenever it was that nVidia moved from thier 3 tab system in advanced display properties to the single tab with the silly pull out menu they messed something up. ANY drivers which use that pull out menu system cause the Display Properties box to crash out when you click the "nVidia GeForce 3" tab on my system (i've seen it working on a mates machine which is why I know what it's meant to look like".
The error is "rundll32.exe caused an exception calling <some windows call I can't remember>, c:\windows\system32\desk.cpl".

I had the same problem, but i ran jester2k's 30.xx to 40.xx fixer app and it's been fine since...

meglamanaic
04-02-03, 03:09 PM
That utility fixed the crash but I've still got the DVD problem.
Having looked around further it seems it might be something to do with the specific TV encoder on my card so it looks like I'm stuck with it until I upgrade.
At least I can run 40.72 now though.

Numpsy
04-02-03, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by meglamanaic
Having looked around further it seems it might be something to do with the specific TV encoder on my card so it looks like I'm stuck with it until I upgrade.

Yeah, i read the stuff about the encoder chip - i have an MSI card which apparently has the non-macrovision chip.
Like i said, i was getting macrovision errors with all the drivers later than 40.72 but v43.45 seems to have fixed it again, soi was just wonderinbg if anyone else had the same success with them.

meglamanaic
04-02-03, 04:11 PM
Sounds like you have the same card as me.
I have an MSI GeForce3 Ti200 64Mb, and TVTool reports the encoder as a BT869.

Oh well, I'll just put up with 40.72.
You wouldn't happen to know if they have DX9 support would you?