PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia 6800GS Overheating Problem

SlAyErPaTh
07-13-07, 01:11 PM
Ok my video card which is a Nvidia 6800GS keeps on overheating up to 125 degrees Celsius. And this happens when I'm playing a game and when it does overheat, the game starts to go 1 framerate every 10 seconds. This problem has been driving me crazy and I was wonder if there is any way to fix it.

ONER
07-13-07, 01:52 PM
Is the fan on your card working? If not, then I would suggest you RMA the card. If that is not an option, then a new card. Correct me if I'm wrong. Good luck.

SlAyErPaTh
07-13-07, 05:02 PM
Just the video card (I think) and I might sound like a newbie for asking. But what's RMA? Or do you mean RAM?

shilk
07-13-07, 06:36 PM
RMA = Return Merchandise Authorization.

It basically means if it's broken and still under factory warranty, then return it to them to get a replacement. Sometimes, they do send you a better videocard than the one you have. Wosrt case scenario is they'll send you the same one.

Go to the website for your video card manufacturer and see if they have anything on RMA or returning defective stuff.

Have you tried cleaning out your PC? Canned air is a must. Especially now since it's summer. :headexplode:

SlAyErPaTh
07-13-07, 11:38 PM
Well it's been a year or so since I cleaned my PC. I'll try that once I get canned air from Wal-Mart. Do you think it might be the problem? And also I bought the video card off of Newegg.com and it was like 2 years ago so wouldn't be out of RMA dates?

shilk
07-14-07, 04:22 AM
Are you freaking serious?! :eek:

If it's been a year since the last time you cleaned your PC, then don't expect it to last very long. I hope for the sake of your hardware that you're running it in a sterile enviornment, lol. :D It's like buying a car and never changing the oil. Also, you need good airflow in your PC case. That should help keep it cool as well. But that's another beast all together.

You should regulary clean your components. There's right ways and wrong ways, so make sure you read up on it so you don't short it out. A good burst of canned air should do the trick. Just take it outside and get it clean. Remember, one bad static discharge and it's over for you.

If it's been two years, then you're out of luck. Most places RMA for up to a year or so - more if you register the product. For example, EVGA warranties up to 3 years if you register the serial number for the video card.

If it's the worst case scenario, then get another 6800 GS if you're that tight on money. You can get one for about 60 US dollars now, lol. That's two days of work with minimum wage. With the prices of video cards becoming more affordable for the summer, it's not that expensive.

So yeah. Make a habit of cleaning your PC. :spank:

ynnek
07-16-07, 12:07 PM
yea get a can, open your computer up and start blasting it with air.

keep the can upright. you might want to do a test shot of air beforehand..s ometimes cans of air not used for a while will expell liquid if it hasn't been used for a while, or is held upsidedown.

if you have the heatsink, with the single big fan in it, you can carefully try removing the top plate. (held in by tiny screws, unless you have another type of cooler) you'd be surprised even with regular cleaning how gunked up it could be. I'm not sure about the two fan design. I had a post and pictures on here a while ago... After 1.5 years of use, and monthly cleanings, dust still got trapped and hidden under the toppplate of my 6800GT.

Don't forget about the vents and stuff around your case.

Its not a bad idea to blast out your computer about every month or two.. takes like 2 mins.

Warranty and RMA's depend on brand.. what brand of card do you have? did you register it?

Computers and high end electronics these days draw lots of power and generate lots of heat.... So they have draw in lots of airflow to cool it all down.. which draws in tons of dust... which impede cooling..

thekyro
11-25-07, 05:27 PM
Very important to check if the GPU fan is spinning properly, 6800 chipset runs HOT.