PDA

View Full Version : REQ: 163.11 Benchmarks with Lost Planet - Dx9 Vs. Dx10

bugmeplz
07-13-07, 02:57 PM
Can someone please benchmarks with Lost Planet with a new Vista driver of the Dx9 version vs. the Dx10 version. (Is it possible to benchmark in the full version?) All demo reviews from May said the Dx9 version was faster. I am having trouble deciding which version to run. What are the difference in visual quality (beside high quality shadows which are useless due to perf hit). I think that "First Dx10 Game" B.S. was just a marketing ploy, although I think the game itself kicks ass.

AthlonXP1800
07-13-07, 07:16 PM
I downloaded both Lost Planet DX9 and DX10 demos to compared the fps in same places. With Forceware 163.11 driver, I noticed DX10 fps are faster than DX9 fps.

I find DX10 version much better than DX9 version.

henrybravo
07-13-07, 09:36 PM
Can someone please benchmarks with Lost Planet with a new Vista driver of the Dx9 version vs. the Dx10 version. (Is it possible to benchmark in the full version?) All demo reviews from May said the Dx9 version was faster. I am having trouble deciding which version to run. What are the difference in visual quality (beside high quality shadows which are useless due to perf hit). I think that "First Dx10 Game" B.S. was just a marketing ploy, although I think the game itself kicks ass.
Since you own the game, why don't you do the testing yourself, and let us know.

HB

BlueSteel
07-15-07, 03:59 PM
I did a quick comparison; since the full version lacks a built-in benchmark I just started the game at my current location (beginning of mission 3) and checked the fps while standing still. All ingame-settings were set to high, except shadowmap size and shadow quality, which were left at medium.
Fps values are averages, since the framerate would jump around +/-2fps due to enemy activity in the area.

Other common settings: 1680x1050, 4x FSAA, 16xAF (set via ingame menu)

WinXP SP2, DX9, 162.18: 52fps

Vista, DX9, 163.11: 52fps

Vista, DX10, 163.11: 47fps

This is by no means representative for the whole game, since there might be certain effects or situations that might benefit from DX10.

But considering that Lost Planet utilizes DX10 not for additional effects, but purely for performance reasons, these results are very poor indeed. Based on these results, the current renderer of choice would be DX9, even when running Vista. I seriously hope this is just due to immature drivers or inefficient use of DX10 features...

Revs
07-15-07, 04:02 PM
Since you own the game, why don't you do the testing yourself, and let us know.

HB

There's no benchmark in the full version :(

EDIT: Oh sorry BlueSteel just said. The new drivers added a good few frames for me. About 10% more. DX10 is definatley faster and as seen as it looks better too, i'd say DX10 deffo.

Graphically I don't see alot of difference between the two exept sharper, more detailed textures. Oh and there's the option for high HDR and shadows, though they totally kill the fps, and do very little for the graphics.

Revs
07-15-07, 04:16 PM
It also seems I can put AA on at C8xQ with very little effect on the fps.

At 1680 x 1050 I set everything to full exept HDR & Shaddow Quality and manage 40 - 90 fps, averaging 60 ish.

It's a pretty good game. Looks alot better than the 360 version. I wonder if it uses Shader Model 4? That'd explane it.

fivefeet8
07-16-07, 05:49 PM
Oh and there's the option for high HDR and shadows, though they totally kill the fps, and do very little for the graphics.

High Shadows is what kills performance. High HDR takes a small hit. About a 1-2 fps hit.

High HDR uses FP16 filtering/blending while Medium HDR uses Int10 Filtering. Int10 HDR is what is used in the 360 port.

I wonder if it uses Shader Model 4? That'd explane it.

Shader Model 4 is the only 3d api for Dx10. If the game is dx10, it's using SM4 path.

Revs
07-18-07, 03:46 AM
Shader Model 4 is the only 3d api for Dx10. If the game is dx10, it's using SM4 path.

U sure. I may well be wrong but I thought you could have a DX10 game with SM3.0.

fivefeet8
07-18-07, 11:34 AM
U sure. I may well be wrong but I thought you could have a DX10 game with SM3.0.

SM3 is on the Dx9L path. If the game is using the Dx10 path, then it should be using SM4. You have to remember that in Vista and Dx10, backwards compatibility with previous shader models was broken to some degree because of the way Vista/Dx10 was designed. That is the reason they included Dx9L in Vista for SM3 and below.

Arioch
07-18-07, 01:01 PM
This game runs rather well for me with the latest Vista driver so I am content to finish it in DX10.

Revs
07-18-07, 05:29 PM
SM3 is on the Dx9L path. If the game is using the Dx10 path, then it should be using SM4. You have to remember that in Vista and Dx10, backwards compatibility with previous shader models was broken to some degree because of the way Vista/Dx10 was designed. That is the reason they included Dx9L in Vista for SM3 and below.

I might have been thinkin of the xBox360, which is unified but with SM3.0