PDA

View Full Version : Need help with hardware failure on orthos

kam03
07-13-07, 08:44 PM
My system suddenly started to act weird so I restarted the system and from now on it keeps on going to windows then restarting.

After a few restarts the system has gone worse, it goes to windows loading screen for 3 secs then a blue screen appears and restarts the machine.

After this I set all my bios settings to default but still I get the same problem.

I had another HDD with xp installed so I connected that HDD and it loads windows fine, so I run orthos but it keeps on failing. I have tested orthos before for 8 hours without a fault.

Since it fails orthos I thought it could be the cpu or memory so I got my friends cpu and memory to test but it still fails orthos.

Since its not cpu or memory what could it be?

Thanks

ynnek
07-13-07, 09:08 PM
well, if I had to guess, it would then be the next major component.. the motherboard.. perhaps the northbridge was damaged from OC.

kam03
07-13-07, 09:21 PM
well, if I had to guess, it would then be the next major component.. the motherboard.. perhaps the northbridge was damaged from OC.

Yp, i didnt want to hear that but im 99% sure it is the motherboard. I have nothing to test it with, are there any programs that i can test motherboard or other components like PSU?

Thanks

bobskisr
07-15-07, 10:17 AM
My system suddenly started to act weird so I restarted the system and from now on it keeps on going to windows then restarting.

After a few restarts the system has gone worse, it goes to windows loading screen for 3 secs then a blue screen appears and restarts the machine.

After this I set all my bios settings to default but still I get the same problem.

I had another HDD with xp installed so I connected that HDD and it loads windows fine, so I run orthos but it keeps on failing. I have tested orthos before for 8 hours without a fault.

Since it fails orthos I thought it could be the cpu or memory so I got my friends cpu and memory to test but it still fails orthos.

Since its not cpu or memory what could it be?

Thanks

Just noticed that you did reset the BIOS. Are you still running at 3.45Ghz?

It looks like you Over-clocked your rig. Before you go out and get another MOBO have you tried to take it back a little? I ask this because I had my rig running at 3.3Ghz and it ran fine for awhile then it went south. (Started to do the weird thing) After running a few test I set the FSB back to 1425 @ 9X that gave the current 3.2Ghz and it’s been fine.
Also just for Ha-Ha’s run prefetch Go to Run, enter prefetch, click OK when the list comes up go to edit, select all, right click on the list and delete everything. Don’t worry about deleting it’s a list that the system loads when you run a job. It’s like a fast start menu. All that stuff is just sitting taking up room. I do it all the time as part of my house keeping.

Please let me know how you make out.

Bob Ski

kam03
07-16-07, 01:10 AM
Just noticed that you did reset the BIOS. Are you still running at 3.45Ghz?

It looks like you Over-clocked your rig. Before you go out and get another MOBO have you tried to take it back a little? I ask this because I had my rig running at 3.3Ghz and it ran fine for awhile then it went south. (Started to do the weird thing) After running a few test I set the FSB back to 1425 @ 9X that gave the current 3.2Ghz and itís been fine.
Also just for Ha-Haís run prefetch Go to Run, enter prefetch, click OK when the list comes up go to edit, select all, right click on the list and delete everything. Donít worry about deleting itís a list that the system loads when you run a job. Itís like a fast start menu. All that stuff is just sitting taking up room. I do it all the time as part of my house keeping.

Please let me know how you make out.

Bob Ski

I even installed fresh copy of XP on a new HDD but i still get the same sudden restarts and BSOD.

I have ordered a new motherboard for testing before i send this motherboard for RMA. I'll get back with the results.