PDA

View Full Version : 2 gb or 4gb ???

Pages : [1] 2

badsubby
07-14-07, 07:31 PM
Hi, I am a huge battlefield 2 fanatic and that is why I am upgrading my current pc (see sig.) to:

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6600
Nvidia 8800gts 640mb
Nvidia 680i motherboard
Windows Vista

I was wondering if I should put in 2gb or 4gb for Battlefield 2?

Does it even benefits from 4gb?

Any of you had 2gb and then upgraded and can see the difference?

Should I use windows vista ready boost feature instead where you plug as USB as a memory?

Kinda lost, help would be really appreciated over here. Thank you.

Mr Bigman
07-14-07, 08:40 PM
2 is good for now. I would give another year and 4 will be the in amount.

I run 8 gigs of ram cuz im a startup freak. I love the quick launch icons.

And games run insanily good too. You can run highend games on 8 gigs of ram with a crappy GPU cuz of the 8 gigs being the power. I see someone run Quake 4 on a Rage128 on his Dell Poweredge server with 16 gigs of ram and it ran just fine medium detail but he had quad Zeons too.

$n][pErMan
07-14-07, 08:49 PM
I noticed a difference with 2gigs to 4gigs in Vista Business 32bit. Not really in games but more in load and close times along with Alt-Tabbing out of games being flawlessly smooth. Not really a noticable difference in FPS though. Ram is so cheep right now though... why not go 4? :)

SemperFi
07-14-07, 08:52 PM
Any of you had 2gb and then upgraded and can see the difference?

Yes of course. The difference is like night and day in Vista.

Should I use windows vista ready boost feature instead where you plug as USB as a memory?

This feature will boost your Virtual Memory (page file) not System Memory (ram).

Kinda lost, help would be really appreciated over here. Thank you.

No Problem.

badsubby
07-15-07, 12:06 AM
Yes of course. The difference is like night and day in Vista.

This feature will boost your Virtual Memory (page file) not System Memory (ram).

No Problem.

Thx a lot for just a detailed answer. SemperFi

XDanger
07-16-07, 04:07 PM
Why not 3GB? Isn't Vista 32 limited to 3GB anyway? 3 for system, and the remaining 1 towards system hardware(640 for card alone)...tailored specifically for the problem I'm talking about.

Ask the folks with 4GB and Vista 32 how much ram it shows...I bet it is 4096 minus video card(256-768) and a some extra taken out. With 3GB you'll wind up with roughly the same amount, you just don't waste the last gig due to memory address extension limitations.

HUH??????? o thats lame

JasonPC
07-16-07, 04:17 PM
32-bit windows won't see the full 4 Gb. It will only see about 3 Gb. When you have more than 3 Gb, things like the video card and other devices in the computer will use up that extra 1 Gb and maybe even over. So if you have 3 Gb in the computer, you should see approximately all of it. But if you have more than 3, you could potentially see less than 3 Gb, maybe 2.8 Gb at the very lowest. 64-bit windows will see all 4 Gb though.

It's very rare that I've seen all of my 2 Gb of ram get used up in Vista. I'd imagine things may run a little bit faster with 4 Gb because there is more room for superfetch to load things. But most games probably won't be any different. The money could probably go to other things to make a bigger change in performance. But ram is pretty cheap, so I guess you can't go wrong as long as you have a 64-bit OS.

XDanger
07-16-07, 04:21 PM
how well does PAE work with 32bit OS?

Camp0rz
07-16-07, 04:31 PM
2 is good for now. I would give another year and 4 will be the in amount.

I run 8 gigs of ram cuz im a startup freak. I love the quick launch icons.

And games run insanily good too. You can run highend games on 8 gigs of ram with a crappy GPU cuz of the 8 gigs being the power. I see someone run Quake 4 on a Rage128 on his Dell Poweredge server with 16 gigs of ram and it ran just fine medium detail but he had quad Zeons too.

that's what I'm saying. it's all about the 8gb now.

stncttr908
07-16-07, 05:42 PM
I have 4GB, but 2GB is more than enough. I like to run a ton of content creation apps (Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, basically all of Creative Suite) at once and sometimes run quite a few RAM hungry virtual machines. If you just want a nice gaming box you'll be fine with 2GB.

DarkJedi664
07-16-07, 08:38 PM
Try telling BF2142 that! That thing eats RAM like Brittney Spears eats cheeseburgers! Even with everything shut down, and my mem before the game is close to 30%, 2142 uses about 89% of my system memory! I can't imagine what Crysis uses. For that reason, I went with 4gigs in my new build.

walterman
07-16-07, 08:56 PM
Just something to add about win32:

32-bit Windows has a 2GB limit per process.

The most significant bit of the virtual address vector is used to distinguish kernel/user addresses.

I did read that it could be changed, to let your applications use more than 2GB per process, but, prolly it will drive to problems with the drivers.

Therefore, if your application uses more than 2GB per process, prolly you will need to recompile it to use 64-bit addresses.

shyam
07-17-07, 07:37 AM
Okay I'm having a new computer built soon too, and was planning to go for 4GB RAM. I was going to run Vista 32bit Ultimate (as apparantly 64bit Vista is bad)..

My question is, if the computer is 64bit compatible, but you still run 32bit, will only 3GB of RAM still show, or all 4GB?

What kind of differences would you notice from running 2GB RAM and 4GB in Vista Ultimate?

CaptNKILL
07-17-07, 08:17 AM
:rofl

bigman, I really hope youre joking here. :p

evox
07-17-07, 08:51 AM
Try telling BF2142 that! That thing eats RAM like Brittney Spears eats cheeseburgers! .

ugh come on! I think you could've said that Without Referencing BS:captnkill:

Okay I'm having a new computer built soon too, and was planning to go for 4GB RAM. I was going to run Vista 32bit Ultimate (as apparantly 64bit Vista is bad)..

My question is, if the computer is 64bit compatible, but you still run 32bit, will only 3GB of RAM still show, or all 4GB?

What kind of differences would you notice from running 2GB RAM and 4GB in Vista Ultimate?

3.5GB will show up in x86 Environment. Performance Difference.... Well, The More Ram you have, the better your Computer will perform, that's the general rule of the thumb. Anything Over 2GB is recommend, especially since you plan to run Vista. With games like SupCom, 3GB Would be nice:)

JasonPC
07-17-07, 12:06 PM
I only find my ram usage to be around 70% when running BF2142. I really don't think adding more ram would change how fast it runs. Maybe how fast it loads though, not sure. I've seen some benchmarks of quite a few demanding games, and the difference between 2 and 4 GB seems to be less pronounced than 1 to 2. I think where it really helps you out is in Editors, Photoshop, and other programs where there basically is no limit to the amount of things you can load.

Ywap
07-17-07, 12:34 PM
I plan on going 4gb with my next pc aswell. Most likely itīll be a q6600 on a P35 mobo. The question: Is it still preferable to go with 2x2gb instead of 4x1gb?

Regarding Vista, 32-bit is the choice for gamers right?

evox
07-17-07, 01:02 PM
I plan on going 4gb with my next pc aswell. Most likely itīll be a q6600 on a P35 mobo. The question: Is it still preferable to go with 2x2gb instead of 4x1gb?

Regarding Vista, 32-bit is the choice for gamers right?

2x2GB. that way, you can run them in Dual Channel :) If you're going for 4GB then it makes a bit more sense to go for Vista 64-Bit, I've not used Vista 64-bit so i don't really know how much compatible it is with games. you should ask jakUp since he runs a Vista x64 System.

stncttr908
07-17-07, 01:25 PM
Uh, 4x1GB still is dual channel.

maddbomber83
07-17-07, 01:55 PM
Uh, 4x1GB still is dual channel.

When I first read that I thought he was talking about 1 4gb stick vs 2 2gb sticks.

I have the same question though,

What are people's thoughts on 2gb + 2gb vs 1gb + 1gb + 1gb + 1gb?

The 1gb route is cheaper by about $30 depending on what memory you get, but at same time going the 2gb x 2gb route gives you room to add another 4gb later.

I'm on a 32 bit os, so right now that won't help, but at some point I will go to 64bit once it makes more sense. So I guess the bigger question is, will 64bit OS make sense in the next 2-3 years (about the lifetime for a MB for me).

Ywap
07-17-07, 03:18 PM
Does all yet to be released games work with vista 64-bit?

Amuro
07-17-07, 10:17 PM
When I first read that I thought he was talking about 1 4gb stick vs 2 2gb sticks.

I have the same question though,

What are people's thoughts on 2gb + 2gb vs 1gb + 1gb + 1gb + 1gb?

The 1gb route is cheaper by about $30 depending on what memory you get, but at same time going the 2gb x 2gb route gives you room to add another 4gb later.

I'm on a 32 bit os, so right now that won't help, but at some point I will go to 64bit once it makes more sense. So I guess the bigger question is, will 64bit OS make sense in the next 2-3 years (about the lifetime for a MB for me).
As far as DDR2 is concerned, 4x1GB allows 8-way interleaving whereas 2x2GB only allows 4-way, and therefore 4x1GB is faster at the same speed and timings than 2x2GB.

maddbomber83
07-18-07, 03:23 PM
As far as DDR2 is concerned, 4x1GB allows 8-way interleaving whereas 2x2GB only allows 4-way, and therefore 4x1GB is faster at the same speed and timings than 2x2GB.

I have never even heard of this interleaving, just dual channel. . . What is it?

Amuro
07-18-07, 10:38 PM
I have never even heard of this interleaving, just dual channel. . . What is it?
There's bank (internal banks within the memory chip) interleaving and rank(physical banks of memory, 2 per DIMM slot) interleaving. Bank interleaving allows banks of SDRAM to alternate their refresh and access cycles, so that one bank will undergo its refresh cycle while another is being accessed. This improves memory performance by masking the refresh cycles of each memory bank. Rank interleaving is the equivalent to bank interleaving but on the level of physical banks, which are now called ranks.

Now, back to 2x2GB vs 4x1GB. Both 1GB and 2GB dimms have two ranks per dimm, so 4x1GB gives you a total of 8 ranks while 2x2GB only gives you 4 ranks, and therefore 4x1GB offers better performance.

hokeyplyr48
07-18-07, 10:50 PM
ahh thanks for the explanation.

so does anyone know if vista 64 can run most games/ones to be released? because thats the whole factor behind buying it so i can use 4gb's. if not, then it's useless....