PDA

View Full Version : Which One To Buy; XPS 410 Or Inspiron 531?

Tim_Olaguna
07-15-07, 12:25 PM
I need a new PC. Should I buy a:

1. XPS 410 Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6600 (4MB L2 Cache,2.4GHz,1066 FSB)

or a

2. Inspiron 531 with AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ ?

Both currently cost about the same. Which one is "better" in terms of

A. Speed. For doing such things as

-- Word-processing, website development, spreadsheets, etc.
-- Dictation, like Dragon NaturallySpeaking (now built into Vista)
-- Watching the occasional movie
-- Non-intensive game playing like Civilization IV, Diablo II, a casual once-in-a-while by-myself shootem up (no hot and heavy multi-player action)?

B. A system which will need to last 4-5 years with some ability for upgrading components?

My funds are limited so I am focused on only those two choices. Please do not advise me to build my own. I am physically handicapped with cerebral palsy and unable to do that.

|MaguS|
07-15-07, 12:28 PM
Build it yourself, cheaper and better warrenty aswell as you can easily upgrade everything in the system with ease.

a12ctic
07-15-07, 12:29 PM
Do you over clock or not? If so go with the C2D if not either will probably be about equal in most tasks, in that case I'd suggest going with AMD because they're probably the more fair, ethical company. Also, yeah I agree with MaguS.

Mr_LoL
07-15-07, 12:31 PM
Yep. AMD are a fair an ethical company. Intel are not. *cough*

nV`andrew
07-15-07, 12:50 PM
those are laptops arent they? if thats a desktop, learn from here how to build one, so much cheaper. but if its a laptop go with the core 2 duo

Tim_Olaguna
07-15-07, 01:23 PM
Did nobody read this part of my note?

Please do not advise me to build my own. I am physically handicapped with cerebral palsy and unable to do that.

And, yes, those are both desktops.

silverstonec2d
07-15-07, 01:30 PM
I'd go for the XPS with the E6600. It's a good bit faster than the X2 5000 at most everything you throw at it.

Tim_Olaguna
07-15-07, 01:54 PM
I'd go for the XPS with the E6600. It's a good bit faster than the X2 5000 at most everything you throw at it.

Thanks a bunch, Silverstonec2d. That was my hunch.

The only thing I saw possibly favoring the Inspiron was: isn't this an issue between 32 bit vs. 64 bit technology? Isn't the Inspiron 64 bit while the XPS is 32 bit? Down the road won't 32 bit based machines and apps fade out in favor of 64 bit based machines and apps? Since I need my new machine to last 4-5 years, wouldn't that be an overwhelming argument in favor of the slower (but possibly more adaptable) Inspiron?

silverstonec2d
07-15-07, 02:49 PM
Are you saying that the Inspiron comes with 64-bit Windows?? I'm asking because both the X2 5000 and the E6600 are 64-bit processors. I'm using Vista x64 myself. I'm guessing both come with the 32-bit version of Windows, but I could be wrong. You can use a 64-bit cpu(both dell's have one) with either 32-bit windows or 64-bit Windows. The only real advantage of 64-bit windows today is if you use more than 2GB ram, or use an application(rendering, encoding, ect) that is natively 64-bit. The problem with 64 bit now is getting drivers for hardware and software to take full advantage of the 64-bit cpu. Even if the computer you order only comes with 32-bit windows, down the road if you wanted it, you could get 64-bit Windows(it may come with the computer, my retail copy of vista came with both 32 and 64-bit). Hope this helps a bit.

XDanger
07-15-07, 03:01 PM
Dont you know any nerds who will knock up a pc for you?
you would save a bunch of money and get a better pc that way.

Tim_Olaguna
07-15-07, 03:30 PM
Are you saying that the Inspiron comes with 64-bit Windows?? I'm asking because both the X2 5000 and the E6600 are 64-bit processors. I'm using Vista x64 myself. I'm guessing both come with the 32-bit version of Windows, but I could be wrong. You can use a 64-bit cpu(both dell's have one) with either 32-bit windows or 64-bit Windows. The only real advantage of 64-bit windows today is if you use more than 2GB ram, or use an application(rendering, encoding, ect) that is natively 64-bit. The problem with 64 bit now is getting drivers for hardware and software to take full advantage of the 64-bit cpu. Even if the computer you order only comes with 32-bit windows, down the road if you wanted it, you could get 64-bit Windows(it may come with the computer, my retail copy of vista came with both 32 and 64-bit). Hope this helps a bit.

See. The nature of my questions just shows you how much about these two machines I DON'T know. Your comments have taught me much. I didn't realize they were both 64-bit processors. Duh ...

I need to use Dragon NaturallySpeaking to help me write. Particularly longer articles. The Dragon folks say you pretty much need 4 GB RAM if you are going to use Dragon with Vista. Vista now comes with Dragon (actually a better version than Dragon itself!), so I will be needing to use more than 2 GB RAM. I'm planning to initially buy 4.

It looks like I'll be getting the XPS 410. Probably next month. A good thing because every time I visit the Dell site they have either dropped the price on the setups I'm considering or added more features for the amount I've budgeted to spend. (I'm also keeping an eye on their outlet site. There was a really nice scratch or dent system there yesterday at a really nice price that got away before I could convince my wife we should buy this month instead of next. Oh, well. Next month will be fine.)

CaptNKILL
07-15-07, 08:11 PM
Definitely get the Core 2 system.

silverstonec2d
07-16-07, 04:22 AM
I'm glad to see your going with the XPS 410, Tim. I think you'll be happy with it. Anyways, just to let you know, if you do go with 4GB ram with the XPS and it has Vista-32 bit installed, windows will only see around 3GB available due to the nature of 32-bit and memory reservations for other hardware, ect. You would need Vista 64-bit to use the full 4GB.

Tim_Olaguna
07-17-07, 02:07 PM
I'm glad to see your going with the XPS 410, Tim. I think you'll be happy with it. Anyways, just to let you know, if you do go with 4GB ram with the XPS and it has Vista-32 bit installed, windows will only see around 3GB available due to the nature of 32-bit and memory reservations for other hardware, ect. You would need Vista 64-bit to use the full 4GB.

Thanks for the tip. Will do.

Madpistol
07-17-07, 03:47 PM
Do you over clock or not? If so go with the C2D if not either will probably be about equal in most tasks, in that case I'd suggest going with AMD because they're probably the more fair, ethical company. Also, yeah I agree with MaguS.

How can he overclock? Those are dell systems. :headexplode:

The XPS 410 is definately the way to go. No doubt about it. It will be fairly powerful compared to the laptop.

vert305
07-17-07, 10:39 PM
Did nobody read this part of my note?

And, yes, those are both desktops.

You are asking the wrong group of people!...

but i think the XPS is pretty cool looking (but they are $$$) you would save so much more if you build it