PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Failing, SeaTools Work?

|MaguS|
07-15-07, 01:00 PM
My Maxtor drive is failing, most of the time Windows does not detect it anylonger and if it does it clicks alot and denies me access to the drive.

It's still under warrenty but if I send it back to Seagate I will lose all my data which is well 250Gb, far more then I would want to lose...

Has anyone used the SeaTools? Can it fix the drive like they claim on the website?

nekrosoft13
07-15-07, 01:25 PM
call them, tell them model number and serial. They will ask what kind of RMA you want.

There is option that allows to cross ship the hard drive. They will send you a replacement at that time you can copy over what ever you need to and send the defective back to them.

For that to work they will ask your CC number. If you don't ship the old one back within 14 days they will charge you full price of the new drive.

stncttr908
07-15-07, 01:32 PM
If you can't get the drive to spin up I don't think you're going to be able to pull anything off of it. It's worth a shot to try and use Seatools just to see what it can do. If not, try throwing it into the freezer in an antistatic bag for an hour or so and see if you can get it to spin up and access just long enough to grab what you need from it.

CaptNKILL
07-15-07, 08:08 PM
If you can't get the drive to spin up I don't think you're going to be able to pull anything off of it. It's worth a shot to try and use Seatools just to see what it can do. If not, try throwing it into the freezer in an antistatic bag for an hour or so and see if you can get it to spin up and access just long enough to grab what you need from it.
The freezer trick does work. I've done it. :)

Bman212121
07-15-07, 10:22 PM
The freezer trick does work. I've done it. :)

How long have you left it in for? I've never gotten it to fully work. Once I was able to get a clicking HD to start to boot, but then it crapped out in the middle of booting. A little over a week ago we had a pc at work crap out and naturally it had all kinds of important stuff on it (I don't have anything to do with that pc) so I tried doing the freezer trick on it cause the HD was quite hot and clicking, but I left it in there for about 15 - 20 mins and it didn't seem to make a difference. I also tried tapping it with a screwdriver, and that didn't work either.