PDA

View Full Version : Which computer?

Pages : [1] 2

shyam
07-15-07, 05:05 PM
I've recently sold my Alienware laptop for 1100 and am looking for a desktop replacement. Something fairly powerful, it'll mainly be used for general use and watching a lot of movies and playing music, but also the odd game or two!

I did want to pay by PayPal, and I've narrowed my choice down on eBay to these three:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/E6600-CORE-2-DUO-4GB-22-TFT-LCD-320GB-8500GT-1333-FSB_W0QQitemZ200127474850QQihZ010QQcategoryZ179QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
That is full package with LCD and all.. Thing is I'm pretty sure the LCD they provide will be a crappy cheap one, and I had my heart set on a stylish Dell 20", for about 150... I was wondering though, the stuff that appears on the screen - is that dependant on the graphics card or the actual monitor.. because it could be a cheap one but still look good with graphics..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/E6600-CORE-2-DUO-4GB-400GB-nVidia-Geforce-8500GT-SLI-PC_W0QQitemZ200128871920QQihZ010QQcategoryZ179QQss PageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
This one is just the tower.. The description is slightly different.. I wasn't sure if it was exactly the same as the first apart from the bigger hard drive.. I'd need to buy an LCD in addition as well as a keyboard/mouse..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160136551016
This is the most expensive and looks the most powerful...

I really wasn't sure which one to go for.. I definitely didn't want to go above 1100, but I'd like to keep it as low as possible really..

I wasn't sure whether going for the Quad Core PC rather than the Core 2 Duo ones would make much difference for an additional 80 or so... If it is worth it then fair enough.

Also in addition I would have to buy the OS, I'd go for Vista Ultimate so that's another odd 125..

What I really would appreciate is a rundown on the 3 PCs mentioned, which one's better to go for and why etc.. I'd really appreciate it Like I said it is mainly for watching movies and stuff, and the odd game, but I do want graphics to be good.. and it would be nice if it was futureproof for a while..

Thanks in advance!

Allso... I think they are all 64bit computers, but some people said 32bit Vista is better.. Is it possible to run 32bit Vista on 64bit computers?

Also will I be able to make full use of the 4GB RAM on these computers?

Thanks.

Revs
07-15-07, 05:29 PM
Sorry dude but all I get is 'Page Not Responding'

Vista x86 (32bit) won't see much more than 3Gb of RAM depending on how much other hardware u have in ya PC. Vista x64 (64bit) can see up to 32Gb (i think) of RAM but can cause some 32bit programs not to run. And yes, u can install either on 64bit hardware.

stncttr908
07-15-07, 05:34 PM
Yeah you've apparently copied the truncated URLs from another forum post. You need to edit this page with the full URLs. ;)

crainger
07-15-07, 06:22 PM
Yeah you've apparently copied the truncated URLs from another forum post. You need to edit this page with the full URLs. ;)

:wonder:

CaptNKILL
07-15-07, 09:06 PM
:wonder:
*fap*

shyam
07-16-07, 05:14 AM
Links have been corrected.... Sorry about that. The main things I wanted to know:

1. What is the difference between 1st and 2nd link.. I couldn't tell any, but someone else said to me that the graphics card is Intel or something in the first and is really bad.. and that the 2nd link had the best card.. not sure if that's right though.
2. I was also told if I install Vista 32bit (which I should as 64bit is bad..) on these computers (which are all 64bit) I won't be able to use all 4GB RAM, and only 3GB will be available.. Is that correct?
3. Is there a big difference between using Core 2 Duo and Quad Core.. Is it worth paying extra?
4. Which computer would you recommend I go for and why?

Also.. whichever computer you recommed.. can you tell me how good it is, e.g. amazing graphics and very fast....

Also... I was wondering whether it makes a difference if I use a cheap LCD provided by the company, or is it better to pay out and buy a more expensive branded one such as a Dell?

Thanks.

XDanger
07-16-07, 06:04 PM
No , All rubbish

945 chipset, or basic orange type motherboards , lame graphics cards , bleargh.
Theyve just put a decent (but already outdated) cpu in with a bunch of cheap parts , Kingston Value Ram for cryin out loud!!!!!

Avoid this junk ,if anything look at ebuyer, they take paypal
Get a barebones from there and add your parts if you cant install a motherboard.

those ebay guys charge 75 for vista , its about 60 from ebuyer.

Dont get ripped off.

Vista 64 is fine , people who say otherwise are liars or foolish.

shyam
07-17-07, 06:10 AM
No , All rubbish

945 chipset, or basic orange type motherboards , lame graphics cards , bleargh.
Theyve just put a decent (but already outdated) cpu in with a bunch of cheap parts , Kingston Value Ram for cryin out loud!!!!!

Avoid this junk ,if anything look at ebuyer, they take paypal
Get a barebones from there and add your parts if you cant install a motherboard.

those ebay guys charge 75 for vista , its about 60 from ebuyer.

Dont get ripped off.

Vista 64 is fine , people who say otherwise are liars or foolish.
What changes would you make to make it a better computers... How'd you know it's Kingston Value Ram!

Revs
07-17-07, 07:02 AM
The only difference between the 1st and the 2nd one is one includes a monitor. The 3rd is a smelly pile of poo (the others aint great).

I take it your unsure on how to build your own, but do you have any mates that could help u as this is always the best way.

Are u in the UK?? If so I would happily price up a system for you from my local supplier, who are pretty cheap, using good components.

Just let us know what u r wanting to do and how much u wanna spend. What games u play (are u wanting a DX10 capable system).

U can build a pretty good gaming system for 1000 ish. Also do u have any bits at all, ie, monitor, keyboard, mouse etc.

shyam
07-17-07, 07:09 AM
Well I do want something futureproof for a few years.. And I mainly wanted to pay by PayPal so that's why I was going through eBay..

I have another eBay retailer spec up a PC for me, so if I post the specs here maybe you can tell me what parts to get rid of and which to upgrade.. According to him it is a top spec gaming PC and great for movies but we'll see.. I'm just waiting for him to email me a full quotation.

I had a budget of 1000, including a 20" monitor which would be about 200, and Vista Ultimate OEM. And I was going to go for a Dinovo keyboard which is another 120 ish..

So on the system itself didn't want to spend more than 700.

As I said I'll post the specs as soon as I get them.

Revs
07-17-07, 08:14 AM
Even for 1000 u aint gonna get a 'future proof' PC, for 700 u aint even gonna get a high-end current PC, and as seen as you're determined to use ebay, some of that 700 is gonna go to building it. So you're gonna get a good mid-range gaming system. I should aim for a 8800GTS 320mb graphics card and a Intel Core 2 Duo with 4mb L2 cache. If the motherboard has SLI u could upgrade to SLI at a late date. In this price range the P965 chipset is probably the best to go for. It's things like RAM and power supply that are gonna be a bit poor on a machine at this price. An expencive keyboard is the last thing u should be looking at as this money could be spent on far more important components. BTW a 'top spec' gaming PC costs 2000 - 3000.

Are you wanting to do more than gaming, if not I should think about a XBox 360 or PS3.

shyam
07-17-07, 08:32 AM
Even for 1000 u aint gonna get a 'future proof' PC, for 700 u aint even gonna get a high-end current PC, and as seen as you're determined to use ebay, some of that 700 is gonna go to building it. So you're gonna get a good mid-range gaming system. I should aim for a 8800GTS 320mb graphics card and a Intel Core 2 Duo with 4mb L2 cache. If the motherboard has SLI u could upgrade to SLI at a late date. In this price range the P965 chipset is probably the best to go for. It's things like RAM and power supply that are gonna be a bit poor on a machine at this price. An expencive keyboard is the last thing u should be looking at as this money could be spent on far more important components. BTW a 'top spec' gaming PC costs 2000 - 3000.

Are you wanting to do more than gaming, if not I should think about a XBox 360 or PS3.
It's not gaming that's important to me.. It's more general use and movies.. I'm not a HUGE gamer.. But I do want my movies to look good..

And I do want a fairly fast PC, and something that will last a few years.

I'll get the qoutation in the next couple of hours and post it with full parts he's said, then hopefully you can advise me on what to upgrade/get rid off..

Revs
07-17-07, 09:00 AM
It's not gaming that's important to me.. It's more general use and movies.. I'm not a HUGE gamer.. But I do want my movies to look good..

And I do want a fairly fast PC, and something that will last a few years.

I'll get the qoutation in the next couple of hours and post it with full parts he's said, then hopefully you can advise me on what to upgrade/get rid off..

Ah, well for movies, almost any 7 or 8 series card has the nVidia Pure Video technology, which is good for movies. Have a read on the nVidia site for more info. As seen as you're not too bothered about gaming I guess you'd be very happy with a 700 system. We'll have a look at this system when u post it.

shyam
07-17-07, 04:44 PM
Okay this is the quotation I've been given, bit confusing but here it goes:

Base system: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/E6600-CORE-2-DUO-4GB-400GB-nVidia-Geforce-8500GT-SLI-PC_W0QQitemZ200128871920QQihZ010QQcategoryZ179QQss PageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem + Soprano Case
E6600...
4GB RAM 667MHz 60.00 (upgrade)
160GB HD + 500GB HD (SATA) 65.00 (upgrade)
2 Lightscribe DVD+- 20x writers 44.00
ATI Radeon HD 2400PRO 256MB 35.00
Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 32.00
Asus 54G Wifi 17.00
Vista Ultimate 175.00
Samsung SM206BW 20" LCD 175.00
Postage 29.99
TOTAL 1,019.99

My main issue was the graphics card, the one included is very cheap, sales person told me it can use the RAM memory as well when needed.. I think it's best I get a better card.. need some advise on which one to go..

In my opinion it's gone too expensive, but maybe I'm wrong.

Now can I have your opinions on where it should be downgraded/upgraded etc... and what you think of the system overall!

Thankyou everyone!

XDanger
07-17-07, 04:52 PM
As far as the ram is concerned , merely an educated guess. Play.com were selling them for 17 for 1gb delivered.

Are you completely against building it yourself? ,Ebuyer take PayPal.

whats your view on overclocking?

Also if your pc is going to last a few years you will at one point want to upgrade your cpu ,Buying the biggest best right now and expecting it to last is pointless , better to buy something like an e4300 ,overclock it then buy better when the price drops , you really dont need even an e6600 anyway.

I say, get 2gb, 2x x16 pci-e sli board ,one 8800 gts 320, oc'd e4300, Antec 900 case ,vista 64 and whatever other stuff you need , should be under a grand, a nice 24inch dell might push it over though.

What with ddr3 as ram and pci-e 2.0 Any system right now will be very outdated this time next year, but for the general user like yourself thats not really an issue.

shyam
07-17-07, 05:10 PM
Are you completely against building it yourself? ,Ebuyer take PayPal.

whats your view on overclocking? Its quite risk free ,and easy.

Also if your pc is going to last a few years you will at one point want to upgrade your cpu ,Buying the biggest best right now and expecting it to last is pointless , better to buy something like an e4300 ,overclock it then buy better when the price drops , you really dont need even an e6600 anyway.

Don't want to build my sef..

What are you thoughts on system as it is now? Need help choosing better graphics card too..

XDanger
07-17-07, 05:21 PM
P5VLM is a cheap nasty motherboard, The cpu is more than you need

At least buy it with NO OPERATING SYSTEM , Find the cheapest version and save a bit of money.
Installing Vista is V easy

Can you get it made to order?

shyam
07-17-07, 05:23 PM
P5VLM is a cheap nasty motherboard, The cpu is more than you need
Okay what motherboard would you recommend, that would be compatible with rest?

Also you say it is cheap/nasty.. what differences would I notice if I changed to whatever you recommend?

Thanks.

XDanger
07-17-07, 05:33 PM
Since you dont intend to build yourself theres not much point in recommending parts. The motherboard ,does it take a quad core cpu? ,You get what you pay for really, maybe the negative things about it wouldnt bother you as much as it would me , but I wouldnt want to spend a grand on a system worth 600

shyam
07-17-07, 05:37 PM
Since you dont intend to build yourself theres not much point in recommending parts. The motherboard ,does it take a quad core cpu? ,You get what you pay for really, maybe the negative things about it wouldnt bother you as much as it would me , but I wouldnt want to spend a grand on a system worth 600
Well 350 is on the monitor and OS alone..

Well if you would I'd be interested if you would recommend a better motherboard.. Is the P5N32 better?

Also you say it's worth 600... well it it is 630 without the monitor and OS..

XDanger
07-17-07, 05:51 PM
yes it is
This look good also
XFX 680I LT edition

the antec 900 case looks very nice , have a look , sonata's are naff looking, like a gold merc.

shyam
07-17-07, 05:56 PM
yes it is
This look good also
XFX 680I LT edition

the antec 900 case looks very nice , have a look , sonata's are naff looking, like a gold merc.

So would it make much of a difference to go for a P5N32 then the current one?

Revs
07-17-07, 08:14 PM
I'm sure u can find a much better spec for the money. I'll have a look on ebay tomorrow. Most of them prices seem very high.

shyam
07-18-07, 06:17 AM
Thanks, if you could post any other links it would be great.. I made a pricing error .. Vista is 125 from him not 175 as I wrote.. so that's 40 less anyway..

But if you have better specs for a better price it would be good?

Is motherboard okay or should I change?

Revs
07-18-07, 06:34 AM
Right then, i've just had a good look on ebay for ya and I can't see a single system that I would happily recommend. They're all either too expencive or half-good half-bad specs.

U didn't say if ya lived in the UK before, but if ya do, I could build u a system if ya want. I've done loads over the years, I have an account at CCL Computers and OCuk, and an account with Lynx so I can sent it to ya for cheap, and I have a Paypal account.

Don't know if ya fancy it but if ya do the offer's there. If so let me know and i'll price u up a system, and if ya not sure about the specs, let some other people give u a second opinion.

I can't say any fairer than that.