PDA

View Full Version : Theory about Intel's new 1333 FSB Core 2's

Madpistol
07-16-07, 11:14 AM
It's obvious that Intel is moving towards new Core 2's that use a 1333 FSB. However, a lot of you may have noticed that these new chips, while perhaps clocked a little higher, are not that much more powerful than their 1066 FSB counterparts. I don't think Intel is doing this by coincidence. Most of the time, when we see a jump in FSB speeds on chipsets, we see a new architecture/ set of chips debut shortly after (by shortly, I mean 6 months or less). I thought about it a little bit last night, and I have a theory as to why intel is doing this.

They know their Core 2's have massive headroom for overclocking. That's pretty obvious. I think they're using this potential, but not in the way we would think. Intel has said that the new 'Penryn' chips are just around the corner (December 07) and that the main new feature will be a die shrink. I'm willing to bet that these new chips are going to be a good bit faster than the current Core 2's, and they may have a few optimizations, but I don't think that's what's going to drive them.

Every time a chip has a die shrink, we get less power consumption, and thus, less heat. Intel is probably going to use this to their advantage and push the clocks of their new chips. What we're seeing with the introduction of 1333 FSB Core 2's is a stepping stone in their evolution plan. Intel is moving to a 1333 FSB platform so that new upgrades to Penryn will go smoothly and nothing will have to be changed when they are released. Penryn and its successors will undoubtibly use a 1333 FSB (or more) to run them. However, this is what's going to be different about them: the high end chips will use a 10x or 11x + multiplier to achive very high clocks. It'll be just like the E6700 and the X6800, but instead, it will be using a 1333FSB to power them. This alone will give them a 25-30% boost in performance without changing the architecture at all. Architectural optimizations may give them something along the lines of a 40% increase in performance which is a lot for a processor line. Also, since there is a die shrink, the power used and heat given off will be less, and thus, they have more "high clocking" potential, which means that Intel will get a free performance boost without changing the architecture. The only things that will change are the FSB speed and the die size.

Anyway, comments, criticizms, or prove me wrong. If this is totally incorrect, tell me why.

spaceigg
07-16-07, 12:01 PM
well thanks for the information, if there is a new processor (better) I would rather wait than going for the price cuts.