PDA

View Full Version : What will I need?

Ste2
07-16-07, 06:18 PM
Basically I was browsing eBay and saw a listing for a GTX 8800, which had been pulled straight from a Dell XPS machine, and sold on eBay. I picked it up for just under 200. It's in perfect condition but do I need anything else? Like to connect it to the PSU? Or anything like that?

If so then do you know where I can get one? I will be forever grateful.

Cheers,
Ste

Spyke
07-16-07, 06:45 PM
As long as you got a power supply capable of handling it you should be good to go. 500W is recommended, but some people here run them with less. The card takes a pair of standard 6pin PCIe power feeds from an SLI capable power supply, but molex to PCIe power adapters can be used. I would replace my PSU to something with dual PCIe power over ever using those adapters however.

Ste2
07-16-07, 06:57 PM
As long as you got a power supply capable of handling it you should be good to go. 500W is recommended, but some people here run them with less. The card takes a pair of standard 6pin PCIe power feeds from an SLI capable power supply, but molex to PCIe power adapters can be used. I would replace my PSU to something with dual PCIe power over ever using those adapters however.

Ah right, cool. I haven't got my Power Supply yet, should be coming tomorrow,

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=97107&ma=Blackpool%20-%20700W%20X-Power%20ATX%20SLI%20PSU

This is it. It says it has two 6 Pin Power Connectors for dual PCI Express graphics, is this what plugs into the GTX? Or was I supposed to get something with my GFX card? Sorry if I sound daft btw LOL

Spyke
07-16-07, 07:23 PM
Yes those plug into the top end of the GTX. So that power supply you mentioned is all you need.

XDanger
07-18-07, 02:16 PM
Well done on that ebay bargain , you lucky mofo