PDA

View Full Version : Hard drives and partitioning

CaptNKILL
07-17-07, 08:49 AM
Just looking for some feedback here.

I'm going to doing a total reformat\reinstall when I upgrade some time in the next month, and I can't decide on the best way to organize my data.

I have 2 320gig Seagate 7200.10 drives and a 200gig Seagate 7200.8 (all SATA). I can put any of them in an external e-sata enclosure for backups of my most important stuff, just in case my PSU decides to explode or something.

I want to keep XP Pro around even though I will be using mainly Vista Ultimate x64. So thats two operating system partitions.

I've pretty much decided that I want to put my 200gig in the esata enclosure and have both 320s in the system.

The thing I can't decide on, is where to put the OS, data and game partitions.

I currently have 2 OS partitions, a game partition and a data partition on one 320gig, with the other 200gig as more internal storage (the other 320 is external for now).

I'm trying to decide which will cause things to screw with my games as little as possible. For example, if the game is trying to load data from one drive but there is also another program or service loading something in the background from that same drive (or I have a download going in a torrent for example), it'd have to have some sort of negative effect on the game, either in the form of a stutter, slower load times, or framerate drops.

I know, I'm probably thinking too far into all of this, but I want this next setup to be as perfect as I can make it.

Here are some possible drive configurations. I'll leave out the 200gig since I'm pretty set on using that as the external. Partitions are listed by order on the disk, with about 300gb total space available on each.

Which would you guys choose? Specifically, to make games run as smoothly as possible.

320-1
C: Vista - 80gb
D: XP - 20gb
E: Games - 200Gb (won't need this much, but I could use the extra space for storing mods and addons)

320-2
F: Downloads\Multimedia\Storage - 300Gb

320-1
E: Downloads\Multimedia\Storage - 200Gb (purely for large files currently downloading, movies, music, backups, etc.)

320-2
F: Games\Storage - 300Gb (games and storage... having the games load from another hard drive could improve performance, but it could get a bit messy, especially for backups and defragmenting)

320-1
E: Downloads\Multimedia\Storage - 200Gb (purely for large files currently downloading, movies, music, backups, etc.)

320-2
F: Games - 150Gb (games only... having the games load from another hard drive could improve performance)
G: Storage - 150Gb (extra storage for any "archived" stuff that doesn't need to be actively accessed, to make room on drive E once it starts filling up)

Maybe some kind of raid setup? Would I benefit from this at all? Or is it too much of a pain in the ass?

1 Seems to offer the simplest solution, but its pretty similar to what I have right now, and I'd like to try something different.

2 Could possibly boost performance a bit by having the games load from their own drive (also, theyed be at the beginning of the drive, which is good). But could be a bit disorganized, and could cause more fragmentation.

3 is the one I'm leaning toward right now because its more organized and could boost performance. But it uses yet another drive letter... and with an external drive, 2 DVD drives, a virtual drive and at least one usb drive, I'm probably getting up to the end of the alphabet. :p

4 I don't really know much about and I'm not sure that it'd help me. I'd rather keep it simple but if this could really help games to load faster and stream data more smoothly, I'll give it a try.

I guess I'll make a poll out of this. If you have any other suggestions, or if you can list your current partition\drive configuration, please do. :)

Bearclaw
07-17-07, 08:56 AM
I would keep the O/S installations of XP and Vista on one HD. Then have the other hard drive be all documents/games/music/movies etc. and that third one also.

I have 2 Hard drives in my PC. 1 for my O/S and one for my documents and then I have an external backup drive.

Just my thoughts on it. I am not much for partitioning into all the sections..just get seperate HD's which you already have.

Absolution
07-17-07, 06:19 PM
I never understood why people want to partition their hard drives... it just creates dead space on each partition. Why not just use 1 partition and not mess up your os so much you need to format every 4 months ;p.

Or... like me, just get an extra hard drive
C: <-- windows/school stuff/program files
D: <-- music/mirc/movies/virtual memory (pagefile)
E: <-- ripped program cd's (like paint shop pro, legit of course :D)/games

Partitions
C: (NTFS) 238472 MB (54559 MB free)
D: (NTFS) 286173 MB (30609 MB free)
E: (NTFS) 305242 MB (32621 MB free)
Total Size 810.4 GB (115.0 GB free)

CaptNKILL
07-17-07, 11:18 PM
I already have 800gigs of total space, I don't need any more drives. :p

I just like to keep my data organized by partition.

I mostly just want to try having games on another drive this time, and that makes it harder to choose partitions because I definitely dont need 300gigs for my games, or any more than 40gigs for an OS partition.

|MaguS|
07-17-07, 11:21 PM
Simple, all drives have a single partition.

wnd
07-18-07, 12:23 PM
I usually set up something simple for a workstation:
- /
- /home
- /tmp
- /wrk, if there's another large disk besides /home

For servers (with possibility to mount some partitions readl-only):
- /
- /usr
- /tmp
- /home
- /var
- /var/log
- /var/spool
- /var/www

For Windows:
- C: (for OS)
- D: (for games)

breathemetal
07-18-07, 07:47 PM
Mines simple, ive always stayed this route:

C: OS/Security/Cleaners/Pictures/Media Applications
D: Games/Downloads/Music/Movies

C is an 80gb, plenty of room for what is on there and what is going to be put on there.

D is a 250gb, tons of room for what i need. And everything I download doesnt stay on there for more than 2 days, it gets burned to a dvd and stored away.

I may swap out the 250 for a WD 750 later this year or early next year though, and use the 250 for my c drive, leaving the 80gb to sit around the house :cool:

j0j081
07-20-07, 08:23 AM
option 1 is how I have mine but XP is the first OS. I forget since it's been a while when installing XP and Vista from scratch u are meant to do XP first right?

CaptNKILL
07-20-07, 01:56 PM
option 1 is how I have mine but XP is the first OS. I forget since it's been a while when installing XP and Vista from scratch u are meant to do XP first right?
Yeah I know XP has to be installed first, but I'll put it on the second partition on the drive.

I'll make 3 in XP setup and have it install on the second, then put Vista on the first.

Whatever partition you boot from is always read as C anyway, so in Vista it'll be correct.

Tr1cK
07-20-07, 02:12 PM
For me, C: is everything and D: is everything else. :p
My C: is a RAID0 setup thats 3 years old on a PCI card. I think it's 2-80gb drives. My D: is a single 320 for storage/multimedia. I just run one OS - XP.

Why don't you put all games and installs on one drive and keep the other for storage like option 1?

On one 320:
C: 10gb for swap area. (beginning of drive)
D: 200gb for games (next closest)
E: Main OS
F: Other OS

Other 320:
G: Storage/MM