PDA

View Full Version : Running an older version of Windows?

|MaguS|
07-17-07, 11:29 PM
Anyone know how I could get Windows 98 to run with modern PC Specs? I really want to play some old Windows games. Is there a Virtual Program that will allow it through Vista or a place to get modern drivers that work for Windows 98?

six_storm
07-18-07, 12:05 AM
I'm sure with the horsepower you got there, you could use VMWare and get great results from older games.

|MaguS|
07-18-07, 12:24 AM
Never used it before, you have to pay for it right? How compatible and well does it run? Don't wana invest in something that wont work that well...

einstein_314
07-18-07, 12:31 AM
How about Virtual PC 7? I was able to use it with Vista to run XP and use Solidworks (A 3d CAD program) pretty well. The performance wasn't great, but it worked. If you're playing old games, I would think you'll be fine.

|MaguS|
07-18-07, 12:45 AM
Link to a PC Version? Only finding it available on Mac...

Main goal is to get System Shock 2 running... Yeah its alot of work but its a game I always had installed and since moving to Vista it wont run at all.

AthlonXP1800
07-18-07, 01:01 AM
Never used it before, you have to pay for it right? How compatible and well does it run? Don't wana invest in something that wont work that well...

No you dont need to pay for it. VMware and Microsoft now offer VMware Server (http://www.vmware.com/products/free_virtualization.html) and Virtual PC 2007 (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx) for free. To get free serial for VMware Server, you will need to register on VMware website. :D

AthlonXP1800
07-18-07, 01:22 AM

Main goal is to get System Shock 2 running... Yeah its alot of work but its a game I always had installed and since moving to Vista it wont run at all.

Well I checked in other forums that System Shock 2 worked fine with Vista by install the game and apply the patches.

Guess I will have a try to see if it work on Vista.

Rakeesh
07-18-07, 01:38 AM
I think some people have distributed torrents with VM images of win98se already setup and ready to go for older games. Just look around, they are pretty easy to find, and I don't think microsoft really cares anymore if you pirate windows 98.

AthlonXP1800
07-18-07, 03:11 AM
YES I got System Shock 2 worked under Vista. :D

All you need is install System Shock 2 and apply the patch then delete the SHOCK2.exe. Download the System Shock 2 XP fix exe and place fixed SHOCK2.exe. Run, ignored any errors and you will reach System Shock 2 in game menu. :D

System Shock 2 patch

http://www.irrationalgames.com/shock2/

System Shock 2 fixed exe for 2000/XP/Vista

http://files.filefront.com/shock2+xp+2000+fix/;4878380;;/fileinfo.html

I noticed game frozed after started the game, to fix this problem by reach the game menu and alt-tab-del to reach for task manager and set SHOCK2.exe process to use 1 CPU instead of dual or quad CPUs.

six_storm
07-18-07, 09:07 AM
I think some people have distributed torrents with VM images of win98se already setup and ready to go for older games. Just look around, they are pretty easy to find, and I don't think microsoft really cares anymore if you pirate windows 98.

Haha, aren't there only like 3 keys to Win98 anyways? ROFL.

ViN86
07-18-07, 09:08 AM
compatibility modes dont work?

right click on an exe file and go to compatibility, then select whatever mode you want (win 95 and up). dont know if its in vista though...

Tr1cK
07-18-07, 12:33 PM
I thought about dual-booting Linux and using Wine to play old games. I would think it would be much easier than trying to get new hardware working on 9x.

JasonPC
07-18-07, 12:41 PM
Those virtual pc programs will give you about the power of an S3 graphics card and the sound capacity of a Sound Blaster 16. So stuttery sound and sluggishness could happen. But if the game is old enough, it should work somewhat ok.

|MaguS|
07-18-07, 05:40 PM
compatibility modes dont work?

right click on an exe file and go to compatibility, then select whatever mode you want (win 95 and up). dont know if its in vista though...

Not for System Shock 2 saddly, unless its been fixed recently. It's not the game thats the cause but the codec of the videos and the CD protection used at the time. There are ways to get around one of those issues but I wont do it...

Dual Booting is out of the question since I don't have a free partition to install another OS in.

evilghost
07-18-07, 08:40 PM
Guys...dosbox may likely play it just fine..

|MaguS|
07-18-07, 08:44 PM
Dosbox is Dos only thought isn't it? I need windows 98 emulation if possible...

Rakeesh
07-19-07, 01:35 AM
Not for System Shock 2 saddly, unless its been fixed recently. It's not the game thats the cause but the codec of the videos and the CD protection used at the time. There are ways to get around one of those issues but I wont do it...

Dual Booting is out of the question since I don't have a free partition to install another OS in.

That, and odds are you are going to run into hardware compatibility issues with a decade old version of windows.

CaptNKILL
07-19-07, 08:43 AM
Like I told you last time Magus, the "abandonware" (yeah, I know how you feel about that word, especially regarding this game) version has re-encoded videos that play fine on modern PCs. I still had some issues getting them to play in the game, so I just minimized the game and watched them in media player when they were needed, but there are like 4 videos in the entire game so for the most part the game works perfectly fine after setting the affinity to one core.

I don't know about you, but if I made a game and 10 years from now (long after my company was gone and retail sales of the game stopped) it didn't work properly on any PCs, I would rather have people download a "fixed" version and play the game than not play it at all if they already purchased a retail copy.

Without building another system specifically for windows 98 gaming, you most likely aren't going to be able to play the game right out of the box. Plus, on a modern PC you can use AA and AF at high resolutions, as well as some of the high definition texture and model packs.

If you still totally 100% refuse to download re encoded versions of the game videos you already have on your PC, have you tried any of these fixes?

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69958

I didn't have any luck with the video related ones in XP, let alone Vista... but its the only other option.

|MaguS|
07-19-07, 11:03 AM
I re encoded the videos to work with new OS installs. My problem now is just getting the game to run at all. In Vista it doesn't even get me to the menu, just crashes instantly.

CaptNKILL
07-19-07, 11:24 AM
Give this a try, I found it toward the end that thread I linked to:

Find the file lgvid.ax, it's located in the main SS2 folder (by default C:\Games\Sshock2). Now rename the file, or delete it, whichever you prefer. This will cause the cutscenes of the game to not be registered by the game at all, fixing any possible issues. (assuming the cutscenes are to blame here)

That should do it for you. :)

spaceigg
07-19-07, 11:56 AM

I have system shock 2 demo installed and it runs fine, the only thing I hd to do was change the desktop color depth to 16. when it was in 32 the game ran in compatibility mode but then it crashed...

|MaguS|
07-19-07, 01:15 PM
I have system shock 2 demo installed and it runs fine, the only thing I hd to do was change the desktop color depth to 16. when it was in 32 the game ran in compatibility mode but then it crashed...

Demo doesn't have the same copy protection...

TittyJoe, My issue isn't cutscene related. It's the ancient copy protection they used thats not compatible with Vista.

Rakeesh
07-19-07, 05:48 PM
I've never had problems finding full ISO images of the older, even more obscure PC games. E-mule is generally better for that than torrents. No reason to go with re-encoded or ripped (more like stripped) stuff when the fully intact original version is available.

|MaguS|
07-19-07, 10:07 PM
I've never had problems finding full ISO images of the older, even more obscure PC games. E-mule is generally better for that than torrents. No reason to go with re-encoded or ripped (more like stripped) stuff when the fully intact original version is available.

Yeah well im not a pirate... so no. I rather re encode the videos myself (like I already have done) and just find a way to get the game running.

Wolfhound
07-24-07, 07:38 PM
You can use WMware Player (free) and create your Virtual machine in this web www.easyvmx.com