PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new camera... advice?

Tuork
07-18-07, 03:23 PM
Hey guys...
So I'm in the US right now, and I'm thinking of buying a new digital camera. The only one I've ever owned before is a piece of crap not even worth mentioning, so let's say I'm new at this.

I don't need anything fancy, just your basic point and shoot for when I'm travelling, but I do want the following:
-Quick to turn on
-Does NOT take long between pictures (as in being able to take a shot, and then a second one quickly)
-Good image quality (no-brainer)
-Good battery life
-Preferrably SD memory card

My budget is around $200, but I can spend a bit more if need be. So far I've eyed the Canon SD1000, which looks pretty good, although it's a bit above my budget.

I'll keep reading reviews and checking up on sites, but does anyone have any advice on something that will suit my needs?

Danke!

nV`andrew
07-18-07, 03:37 PM
I'd go with the a630. I had the a610 when they were like $350, such an amazing camera for the price they are now. Takes awesome video too, the zoom is better than the SD1000 as well. comes with a free 1gb card from newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830120069

Tuork
07-18-07, 08:03 PM
Hmm... that looks like a nice option, and the 1GB free card sounds sweet... however, it looks a bit boulky (sp?), and it doesn't have a rechargeable battery (not the end of the world, but it would be nice).

Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated.

Anyone else?

EDIT: just checked and it turns out the SD1000 comes with a free 2GB SD card :)
What do you guys think about other brands?
Say:
-FUJIFILM A800 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830122099)
-Nikon COOLPIX L12 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830113047)
-OLYMPUS FE-230 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830111069)

nV`andrew
07-18-07, 08:09 PM
its a little bulky but will definitely fit in your pocket.

good luck with whichever one you go with :)

j0j081
07-20-07, 08:20 AM
I wish I would have waited longer to buy my first decent digicam. I got the Sony cybershot dsc p150 over two years ago now. It's 7.1 MB but cost me like $350 at the time. Now you can get 7.1 MP for nothing in comarison with way better features to.

nV`andrew
07-20-07, 11:09 AM
I wish I would have waited longer to buy my first decent digicam. I got the Sony cybershot dsc p150 over two years ago now. It's 7.1 MB but cost me like $350 at the time. Now you can get 7.1 MP for nothing in comarison with way better features to.

yeah exactly. I have an SLR camera now, but at the time when i bought my powershot, which was 5 megapixels, it was ~$300. now you can get the 7 megapixel model for less than $200.

nekrosoft13
07-20-07, 12:35 PM
if you worry about image quality, stick with Canon

I have few cameras
Canon G3
SD630
SD900
SD1000
DC22 (dvd camcorder also takes photos)
optura200 (dv camcorder also takes photos)

Also had before(some of them i had for short time don't remember models)
Panasonic Leica, 12x zoom, 7.1 mp
Fuji, 9mp

Colors taken by fuji sometimes looked a bit weird, grainy photos in darker scenes.

Panasonic had grainy photos even during the day if you zoomed at 100%. at room lighting it was even worse.

btw, by the end of summer i'm planing on purchasing either G7, S5 IS or Rebel XTi

-Does NOT take long between pictures (as in being able to take a shot, and then a second one quickly)

this is SD850, but pretty much every canon camera has this, set it to Manual Mode (M) and turn on Continous shooting mode. you can just hold the shutter button and it will keep taking 3-4 shots a second (depends on if your SD card can keep up)
http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/5153/img1901sx6.jpg

SlieTheSecond
07-22-07, 10:31 AM
I prefer normal batteries over a built in rechargeable.
For one, every charge you lose a little bit of battery life.
For two, if your camera runs dead and you need to take some pictures, or out in the middle of nowhere where there is no power outlet (say camping). Then you can just take out the dead batteries and put new ones in. (get recharge ables though)

CaptNKILL
07-22-07, 11:19 AM
I prefer normal batteries over a built in rechargeable.
For one, every charge you lose a little bit of battery life.
For two, if your camera runs dead and you need to take some pictures, or out in the middle of nowhere where there is no power outlet (say camping). Then you can just take out the dead batteries and put new ones in. (get recharge ables though)
I have to agree with this.

I hate the "low battery" message, but it'd be 100x more irritating if I had no other options to continue taking pictures.

There are always AA batteries laying around or being used in other devices if I really need to take a couple pictures ASAP.

As for a recommendation, I've had a Canon Powershot A60 for a little over 3 years now. It was outdated when I bought it for around $170 and its only 2Mpixel, but I love it. I'd like something beefier eventually (mostly for better zoom levels and higher resolution video recording) but this thing still takes a hell of a nice picture and works any time I need it, assuming the batteries have some juice.

You cannot go wrong with a Canon. :)

Also, its pretty durable and the microphone records surprisingly high quality audio (although its mono). I recorded a video of a quad .50 cal AA gun firing 200 rounds from 10 feet away and the thing had no problem catching every bit of the sound and image without any problems at all. I thought the sound would clip off and get scratchy (from the ridiculous volume levels) or the image would blur or get screwy, but it worked perfectly fine.

Tuork
07-24-07, 07:14 PM
Thanks for all the input guys...

Apparently Canon is the way to go. Will see if I can find a cheaper model seeing as I'm also buying other stuff. :)

einstein_314
07-24-07, 08:21 PM
Here's another vote for Canon. You pretty much can't go wrong with one. Someday I hope to go SLR and when I do it will be Canon without a doubt.

SlieTheSecond
07-24-07, 11:03 PM
I hate the "low battery" message, but it'd be 100x more irritating if I had no other options to continue taking pictures.

Also I have the Cannon S3 IS. Really good camera for not being an SLR. But, that low battery indicator doesn't come on until you have maybe 2 pictures left to take. And there is no battery indicator before that. So it's nice to have another set of rechargeable ready to go :)