PDA

View Full Version : Differences between Quadro4 vs GeForce4?

ricercar
04-02-03, 05:14 PM
I have two NV28 engineering sample reference boards, a Quadro 980 XGL and a GeForce4 Ti4800SE. Other than clock speeds, what are the differences between these boards?

Nv40
04-03-03, 02:01 AM
1)hardware overlay planes
a must have for some profesional graphics 3d
OpenGL software ,specially from ALiaswavefront.
neither gaming card has this ,also not all Profesional boards have this .

2)harware antialising lines..
a must have for CAD cam and AUto CAD users
it boost a lot the performance for wireframe scenes
and greatly enhances the precision of lines..
AA point lines is not available in gaming cards
neither on other Profesional boards like FireGL cards..

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/3dsmax5-quadrofx.html

3)i think ,higher resolutions and refresh rates support
and better hardware or conectors for multimonitor
and other display setups.

4)better drivers optimized for profesional software.
that can increase up tp 100% and more the performance
(however with RIvaturner softquadro you can
at least take advantage of this one ,but from my experience it doesnt work 100% all the time,because QUadro drivers have some protection againts hacks of
softquadro patch .)

and finally diferent core clocks and memory speed.
for the quadro980 .
the QuadroFx2000 have a few more diferences
from the Geforcefx ,like 2000+ PS intructions per pass,
higher AA modes ,and maybe more..

ricercar
04-03-03, 02:33 AM
thanks for the info and thanks for the URL. I had skimmed and misplaced that UTL/article months ago, but that was before i owned a Quadro.

It appears that workstation/Quadro cards have more features than gaming/GeForce cards. Is there anything that a GeForce can do that a Quadro cannot?

vvolkman
04-03-03, 08:03 AM
I've never seen TV-out or VIVO on a Quadro, but its possible I missed a board somewheres.

Nv40
04-04-03, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by ricercar
thanks for the info and thanks for the URL. I had skimmed and misplaced that UTL/article months ago, but that was before i owned a Quadro.

It appears that workstation/Quadro cards have more features than gaming/GeForce cards. Is there anything that a GeForce can do that a Quadro cannot?

there is nothing..

all QUadro cards are geforces but with extra hardware.
tweaks,and conectors and with optimized drivers for
Professional software.

only the latest gaming card Geforcefx have something better that their QUadro brothers and that its faster performance in games,because the fx ultras are clocked 500/500 but needs a huge heat sink and fan.
the quadrofx 2000 is clocked only to 400/400 core and memory.

RobHague
04-04-03, 06:00 PM
Thats pretty much it, the QuadroFX 2000 IS clocked lower but then i think this is because the FLOWFX in a work environment just wouldnt do. Basically a Geforce is a Quadro with part of the hardware specific features for 3d/cad applications disabled. They have an ID and the drivers install based on the ID. You can trick them this way and use someting like SoftQuadro to force the features back on on the cards. I was told though that the Geforce4/Quadro4's were actually different HARDWARE wise this time round and i dont think you can get ALL the features this way.

The only problem with running a Quadro as a gaming card is the drivers, they are optimised for the applications not the games so your framerates may suffer a little.