PDA

View Full Version : Top Rated 120MM Fans

Mr Bigman
07-20-07, 12:33 AM
I use the Danger Den WCS and it is sweet.

Only problem is the fans in and off the radiator are frickin loud.

Who do some of you recommend for high performance 120MM fans that can push out alot of airflow and not so much noise?

I thought the Antec ones whee good but don't push out enough air.

Redeemed
07-20-07, 12:41 AM
I use the Danger Den WCS and it is sweet.

Only problem is the fans in and off the radiator are frickin loud.

Who do some of you recommend for high performance 120MM fans that can push out alot of airflow and not so much noise?

I thought the Antec ones whee good but don't push out enough air.
http://www.silenx.com/ixtremaprofans.asp?sku=ixp-76-18

They're expensive, but well worth it.

Rakeesh
07-20-07, 12:41 AM
I got some Scythe water bearing fans myself. They don't make much noise at all and push lots of air for the RPM's they run at. I got mine for like $12 a pop from some place a while back.

http://www.silenx.com/ixtremaprofans.asp?sku=ixp-76-18

They're expensive, but well worth it.

I remember reading some review that put the SilenX fans third after Noctua and Scythe, if I recall correctly. I posted on it as well, I'll see if I can dig it up.

Redeemed
07-20-07, 12:44 AM
I got some Scythe water bearing fans myself. They don't make much noise at all and push lots of air for the RPM's they run at. I got mine for like $12 a pop from some place a while back.

I remember reading some review that put the SilenX fans third after Noctua and Scythe, if I recall correctly. I posted on it as well, I'll see if I can dig it up.

I've yet to see a 120mm fan that moves 90cfm while generating less than 20db of noise. If you know of any, I'd honestly love to know which ones.

Rakeesh
07-20-07, 12:45 AM
Here we go, my original thread:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86961

And the review site:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article695-page5.html#sflex

stncttr908
07-20-07, 12:52 AM
Yate Loons are nice as well.

DRen72
07-20-07, 08:41 AM
+1 for SilenX

Madpistol
07-20-07, 11:28 AM
I just ordered another 3-speed Antec 120mm fan from newegg. Since I have the Antec 900 case, I've already got 3 of them in here, and on lowest setting, they're nearly silent. On medium, they're still very quiet, but a little more audible. On high, they're audible, but they move A TON of air. I leave my front 2 on high, and my back on medium. Seems to be a really good mix. All I really hear is a sort of "airy" sound, which tells me that the only thing that I can hear is some air turbulence.

The Antec fans are the best IMO.

nV`andrew
07-20-07, 11:31 AM
I just ordered another 3-speed Antec 120mm fan from newegg. Since I have the Antec 900 case, I've already got 3 of them in here, and on lowest setting, they're nearly silent. On medium, they're still very quiet, but a little more audible. On high, they're audible, but they put A TON of air. I leave my front 2 on high, and my back on medium. Seems to be a really good mix. All I really hear is a sort of "airy" sound, which tells me that the only thing that I can hear is some air turbulence.

love mine as well

jcrox
07-20-07, 12:04 PM
I just ordered another 3-speed Antec 120mm fan from newegg. Since I have the Antec 900 case, I've already got 3 of them in here, and on lowest setting, they're nearly silent. On medium, they're still very quiet, but a little more audible. On high, they're audible, but they put A TON of air. I leave my front 2 on high, and my back on medium. Seems to be a really good mix. All I really hear is a sort of "airy" sound, which tells me that the only thing that I can hear is some air turbulence.

+1

DRen72
07-20-07, 02:00 PM

While they are not bad because they can be adjusted, I happen to have three of them myself, the SilenX fans I also have are somewhat quieter than the Antecs at the same rpm.

Mr Bigman
07-20-07, 02:50 PM
So who would be the best choices to push and pull though a Danger Den Radiator?

I looked at the SilentX fans and there nice but is there better?

DRen72
07-20-07, 03:02 PM
So who would be the best choices to push and pull though a Danger Den Radiator?

I looked at the SilentX fans and there nice but is there better?

For that, probably the Antec fans. They seem more powerful, just louder.

Libertysyclone
07-20-07, 03:08 PM
I love the SilentX fans, they are very much worth the $ They move a lot of air.

I have one in my Tuniq Tower and I dropped 3*C at load over the stock fan. and considerable noise.

I have a Xclio Twin engine case, and Run my 2-250mm fans at 100%, the SilentX are BARELY louder than my 250's. I have a manual controller for my fans and I have to move the setting down to 90% to make them quieter than the 250's.

I would like to note that you can do more than just get good fans to quiet your system. I have rubber mounted anything that mounts to the case that moves and cut out the cage around my side and rear fans to decrease noise and optimize air flow.

Redeemed
07-20-07, 03:09 PM
For that, probably the Antec fans. They seem more powerful, just louder.

Well, if power is the main concern:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=49&products_id=20847

Then again, you're gonna' want to keep your kids and all small animals a safe distance from your case. Imagine the damage done if one of them got sucked in... :cool: :p

XDanger
07-20-07, 04:11 PM
My antec tricool fans are toot , I use a panaflo 120mm x 30mm fan on my exhaust and if I put my case on wheels it skates around the room, im building a half-pipe for it.
I use a silenx fan in my psu compartment, nice and quiet
The next fan I try will be a YS-TECH FD1238

Madpistol
07-20-07, 04:45 PM
Well, if power is the main concern:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=49&products_id=20847

Then again, you're gonna' want to keep your kids and all small animals a safe distance from your case. Imagine the damage done if one of them got sucked in... :cool: :p

Yeah I have one of those... oh wait, that's my vacuum cleaner. :p

Mr Bigman
07-20-07, 08:10 PM
Put a grill on that thing and your set. Man that thing is a work horse. We use to have to clean those fans out years back on servers that collecting dust bunnies. Them things are perfect.

Noise though.

einstein_314
07-23-07, 01:57 AM
I'm using 3 120mm Yate Loons on my thermochill rad. when I set them at 7V they are dead silent. And I mean that. With my ear up against them all you hear is whooshing air, no motor sounds. When they get turned up to 12V (when I'm gaming and need more cooling) you can hear them a bit. But they're by no means loud. Definately quieter than the panaflos i used to have in my old case.

Viral
07-23-07, 04:09 AM
From what I've heard SilenX fans are terribly overrated, there's no way they're as quiet as they claim. They've stopped selling them on the best case/cooling site in aus, pccasegear.com. Not sure why, but for me that puts a bit of a cloud of doubt around them.

Panaflo used to be great, things have changed though, not sure what theyre like now.'Definitely give them a look if you're wanting something around the 70cfm+ range as this is where they once owned the market. Scythe definitely seem to be amongst the top for noise/performance right now, so make sure you don't overlook them either.

DRen72
07-23-07, 12:19 PM
From what I've heard SilenX fans are terribly overrated, there's no way they're as quiet as they claim. They've stopped selling them on the best case/cooling site in aus, pccasegear.com. Not sure why, but for me that puts a bit of a cloud of doubt around them.

I think they are as quiet as claimed, but that they do not move as much air as they claim. Overall they are not bad.