PDA

View Full Version : Look at this waterblock!!

jAkUp
07-20-07, 08:42 PM
http://www.devilmaster.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=110&mode=&order=0&thold=0

Wow.

SLippe
07-20-07, 08:46 PM
That's sweet!

walterman
07-20-07, 09:05 PM
Mmm, looks very complicated, and prolly the tubing needs more than 2 slots to avoid kinks, and a pump with a lot of pressure, but maybe its performance is excellent, cause it seems to cool all the parts of the card. Any performance numbers ?

PaiN
07-20-07, 09:19 PM
9x greater chance of a leak ;) hehe

Sazar
07-21-07, 02:06 AM

Or 10 ;)

Bman212121
07-21-07, 02:57 AM
It would seem like that design would actually give worse performance because it has a lot of restrictive tubing on it. If you didn't have enough pressure I could easily see those bottom two tubes not having any flow to them because the coolant would just take the quickest route with would be the top right tube. That really long on that is in the bottom center doesn't seem like it would even get a flow, or worse yet it would flow backwards and just create a loop of the same liquid instead.

jcrox
07-21-07, 03:39 AM
pressure isn't an issue at all if you buy yourself a good water pump. I still don't understand why H2O cooling systems come with such junk for water pumps.... just go to your local pet store and you can get a water pump for around $100 that will totally destroy the performance of the pumps that come with pretty much any system out there. Same goes for the radiators, I built my 1st H2O cooling system over 6 years ago when it was a total niche item, I used a transmission radiator that I got from a junk yard and mounted 2 fans on there myself and again, nothing out there comes close to this simple solution. Custom is the way to go.

Bokishi
07-21-07, 04:14 AM
Looks badass

JonathanM
07-21-07, 07:57 AM
With all those tubes it doesn't even look like there's one channel of water dedicated to cooling the GPU

stncttr908
07-21-07, 12:12 PM
That looks like a ****-ton of resistance.

HeavyH20
07-21-07, 03:25 PM
It probably works very well. The flow resistance will be no more than a solid tube (likely much less). My only concern is that the flow is split up in parallel so many ways, that one route may get less flow than another. Single flow monolithic designs will not pose that concern. The 90 degree flows, however, will help turbulence which impoves surface contact and heat dissipation. It is an interesting approach versus the monolithic designs of others like Innovatek.

maxpaynez
07-22-07, 10:28 AM
OMG.. lol who designed that thing Thermaltake??

You would lose so much flow through that thing. Looks like the smaller tubing is 1/4" even and the 90 deg bend... it looks cool but seriously who would buy something like that... more chances for leaks, it would kill the rest of your loop, way to complicated to install, useless for future GPUs. I can't see one good thing about it other than the badass look.

nmdelrio
07-22-07, 11:19 AM
...My only concern is that the flow is split up in parallel so many ways, that one route may get less flow than another. Single flow monolithic designs will not pose that concern.

I agree fully.

I tried the quad-splitter from Koolance (for the 2x 7950GX2's, CPU, and HDD watreblocks), the obstruction is just too much that even my Swiftech MCP655 could not pump the fluid through all the branches particularly on the GPU waterblocks.

Also If a blockage occurs on a branch, you will not notice it (unless you provide a flowmeter on each branch). The only way I noticed non-flowing fluid is the air bubbles do not move. I am off of splitters. I prefer a single loop.

jAkUp
07-23-07, 01:13 AM
OMG.. lol who designed that thing Thermaltake??

You would lose so much flow through that thing. Looks like the smaller tubing is 1/4" even and the 90 deg bend... it looks cool but seriously who would buy something like that... more chances for leaks, it would kill the rest of your loop, way to complicated to install, useless for future GPUs. I can't see one good thing about it other than the badass look.

Have you seen the inside of a standard full cover GPU block? some of them are more restrictive than that.

J-Mag
07-23-07, 12:47 PM
Looks like over engineering to me. Any temp comparisons?

XDanger
07-23-07, 02:10 PM
pressure isn't an issue at all if you buy yourself a good water pump. I still don't understand why H2O cooling systems come with such junk for water pumps.... just go to your local pet store and you can get a water pump for around $100 that will totally destroy the performance of the pumps that come with pretty much any system out there. Same goes for the radiators, I built my 1st H2O cooling system over 6 years ago when it was a total niche item, I used a transmission radiator that I got from a junk yard and mounted 2 fans on there myself and again, nothing out there comes close to this simple solution. Custom is the way to go.
Theres a -80 freezer at work that we keep all the DNA in, it has a MASSIVE heatsink that looks like a cpu cooler on it ,If that thing ever breaks down (which it will very soon) im taking that beast home. Even if I cant use it.

msxyz
07-24-07, 12:15 PM
That was the first thing I thought when I saw the picture :)

Car designer Ferdinand Porsche used to say: more parts, more chances of failure :p

Eltigre88
07-24-07, 01:58 PM
I like this one!

RussianHAXOR
07-24-07, 04:01 PM
http://www.devilmaster.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=110&mode=&order=0&thold=0

Wow.

Can you say... leaks much?