PDA

View Full Version : Strange icon in notification area

leafo
07-22-07, 09:47 PM
http://www.leafo.net/stuff/whatsthis.png
(the exclamation warning sign)

I just noticed this icon in the notification area yesterday. It doesnt respond to left or right clicks, has no tool tip, and is listed as <no title> in the icon list.

Has anyone seen this before and know what it means?
I have looked through the process list and I don't see any rogue applications running, so I think it might be something with vista. I remember I had seen it a while ago on an older installation, but it dissapeared as silently as it appeared.

A friend of mine had it on his computer too for a while.

einstein_314
07-23-07, 01:49 AM
The only time I've seen that error sign in the task bar is when my nvidia display driver stopped responding. It pops up with an error message informing me of this. I haven't had it popup for anything else.

radekhulan
07-23-07, 08:05 AM
Have a look into Event viewer.

Capt. Picard
07-23-07, 08:10 AM
Spyware.

t3hl33td4rg0n
07-26-07, 05:37 AM
If I remember correctly, I think that is a piece of adware that installs itself on a system, and can only be completely uninstalled with its entry in Add/Remove programs... I would take a look there and remove anything you dont recognize. But, I think the icon blinks if that is the adware I am thinking of.

If thats not the case, then it could be one of two things.

- Low Disk Space Warning Alert
- Virtual Memory Size Too Small

And also having trouble calling the library that makes the balloon tips that actually give you the warning.

.... Unless I completely missed something.

Q
07-26-07, 08:38 AM
It's not adware, even though the quality of the graphic would lead you to think otherwise. Although I haven't found it documented anywhere, it is definetly a generic Vista error. Sometimes you'll get lucky and get a little pop up, like when the NV driver stops responding. Most of the times you don't, though.

When it pops up, take a look in the event viewer under Applications and System to see if you can narrow it down.