PDA

View Full Version : Vista registry cleaner

grey_1
07-23-07, 05:30 AM
One of my biggest Hates about windows...dire "952 errors found!!!" warnings from registry cleaners. :rolleyes:

Anyone using one?

Rakeesh
07-23-07, 05:49 AM
Most of the time programs like that give you false positives just to make you think the program is actually doing something. It's like those anti-spyware programs that warn you about "tracking cookies" being threats.

Revs
07-23-07, 05:50 AM
I use C-Cleaner, but it don't find more than 10-20 problems. I run it once a week or so.

Are the errors random or is there more on a particular program. Also what u using to check it? Is it for Vista?

Rakeesh
07-23-07, 05:53 AM
I use C-Cleaner, but it don't find more than 10-20 problems. I run it once a week or so.

Are the errors random or is there more on a particular program. Also what u using to check it? Is it for Vista?

Most of the time those "errors" are just something extremely rudimentary. Say for example, you opened a file in e.g. windows media player, and it stores that file name in the registry for the previously opened files list. Then lets say a short time later you delete that file.

The registry "cleaner" comes along, identifies that registry value as a file, checks if the file is there, doesn't find the file, warns you about an error being present, then deletes or fixes the value.

Not a terribly useful feature, as whether that registry entry remained intact or not won't ultimately bother you any.

grey_1
07-23-07, 06:26 AM
Thanks for the replies..that's what it looks like to my un-educated eye, just alot of cruf to look good. It just bugs me when I see so many "errors", that are probably safe to remove. I just don't trust the software.

radekhulan
07-23-07, 08:03 AM
The registry "cleaner" comes along, identifies that registry value as a file, checks if the file is there, doesn't find the file, warns you about an error being present, then deletes or fixes the value.

Beware on Vista x64. As there is registry and file redirection for 32-bit apps, some registry cleaners do NOT work correctly, as they are redirected e.g. from c:\windows\system32 to c:\windows\SysWOW64. "Cleaning" Vista x64 thus can result of it never being able to boot again.

The best registry cleaner is NO registry cleaner. There are millions of entries and deleting 10 of them makes no difference anyway.

Btw, TuneUp Utilities 2007 works well:

http://radekhulan.cz/img/tuneup-utilities/tuneup-reg-editor.png

Revs
07-23-07, 11:24 AM
Using C-Cleaner, the default settings don't scan entrys that can be damgerous to delete. Alot of the 'errors' are unused file extensions that don't matter if they are left in.

grey_1
07-23-07, 04:36 PM
Thanks guys, I think after all the reading I've been doing on this I'll just stick with manually cleaning old entries.

nekrosoft13
07-23-07, 04:51 PM

be careful, some times these cleaners can clean stuff they not supposed to. Once my WMP11 started acting up because ccleaner deleted portion of network sharing registry. everytime i closed the program it, didn't close and the exe kept running in the background.

You need to be careful with all these different cleaners

t3hl33td4rg0n
07-26-07, 05:03 AM
Utimately, be careful and check the entries that are identified as bad/wrong. As a precaution, make a backup (export) of your registry before cleaning.