PDA

View Full Version : This One's for Evilghost

Phyre
07-23-07, 09:49 AM
I thought you would find this particularly entertaining. I actually had this happen when I installed Vista Ultimate this weekend. I know; I should be euthanized for doing such a thing. However, this should make up for it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777

SYMPTOMS
When you try to install Windows Vista, you may receive an error message that resembles the following:
STOP 0x0000000A (parameter1, parameter2, parameter3, parameter4)
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
This problem occurs if the following conditions are true:
The computer uses more than 3 GB of RAM.
The computer uses a storage system that is running the Storport miniport driver.
The computer uses a controller that uses 32-bit direct memory access (DMA).

The part in bold is the issue I had. My XPS 710 has 4 GB of memory, so I had to remove 2GB for the install to work. I believe this is the first time ever, EVER that I've had to remove memory to get an OS installation to work.

I hope you all enjoy! :headexplode:

Phyre

six_storm
07-23-07, 10:00 AM
:udawg:

Wow, that's insane! If you have a monster rig with 4GB installed and you can't install Vista, that's a problem. I figured Vista would eat those 4GB RAM alive.

radekhulan
07-23-07, 11:35 AM
Vista x64 installed fine on my 4GB rig. Seems this bug concerns only small % of 4GB configurations. There millions of them, and you cannot expect Microsoft to test them all, and all manufacturers to supply correct drivers at release day.

Fedora 7 (kernel 2.6.21) does not work at all with 4GB of RAM when I enable Memory remap feature on Asus Commando (P965) mobo, always getting kernel panic at bootup. With Vista, I can use 4GB of RAM, with Linux, only 3.2GB.. (all x64)

einstein_314
07-23-07, 11:47 AM
I think this is a pretty common error....nothing we haven't heard about before...I myself didn't have it...but I've read the woes of many others. I wonder why it doesn't like 4GB when installing...kinda weird if you ask me.

evilghost
07-23-07, 12:50 PM
Vista x64 installed fine on my 4GB rig. Seems this bug concerns only small % of 4GB configurations. There millions of them, and you cannot expect Microsoft to test them all, and all manufacturers to supply correct drivers at release day.

Fedora 7 (kernel 2.6.21) does not work at all with 4GB of RAM when I enable Memory remap feature on Asus Commando (P965) mobo, always getting kernel panic at bootup. With Vista, I can use 4GB of RAM, with Linux, only 3.2GB.. (all x64)

Try the PAE kernel, you're really using 4G but it's a 3/1 split with 1G reserved for the kernel, PAE would enable a 4/4 split.

radekhulan
07-23-07, 01:05 PM
Try the PAE kernel, you're really using 4G but it's a 3/1 split with 1G reserved for the kernel, PAE would enable a 4/4 split.

I tried Fedora 7 x64, which can address 2^64 RAM. PAE can do "only" 2^36. Anyway, with Memory remap it crashed within 1 second on kernel panic, being it installation and/or regular run after system got installed (with Memory remap OFF).

Dragunov
07-23-07, 03:07 PM
Well I gonna wait with installing another 2GB till SP1 is released for Vista, then make a Vista Ultimate SP1 DVD so I can install from those one :)