PDA

View Full Version : AM2 cpu's now in 939 boards?

jcrox
07-23-07, 09:24 PM
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=AM2CPUBRD#

Wonder if this really works.....

Edit: For $30!

SLippe
07-23-07, 09:28 PM
Interesting.

six_storm
07-23-07, 09:32 PM
WTF is that thing? How would that even really work?

Mr_LoL
07-23-07, 09:33 PM
Very interesting. Only Asrock boards can use it though.

CaptNKILL
07-24-07, 03:39 AM
Asrock has been making those for a while. Any of their boards that have the special expansion slot can use them.

Single Player
07-24-07, 03:56 AM
ohh i had one of these before asrock 939Dual-VSTA . I always wondered about that yellow pci-e slot! Future CPU Port

DRen72
07-24-07, 08:45 AM
But how can you use such a thing and add a nice fat cooling fan along with GTX cards in the slots? Makes no sense.

Badboy_12345
07-24-07, 10:39 AM
But how can you use such a thing and add a nice fat cooling fan along with GTX cards in the slots? Makes no sense.

you cant :p

ViN86
07-24-07, 11:42 AM
ASRock has been doing these things for a while. good idea, bad execution imo :p

Tygerwoody
07-24-07, 12:04 PM
AMD should be the one doing this. They should just throw away that AM2 garbage and bring back 939 processors. They would be in ALOT better situation if they still offered 939. I know plenty that would upgrade their 939 processors to the standards of today's AM2 just because of the ease of upgrade(including me). As much as I hate AMD and love intel, I would MUCH rather just upgrade my 939 processor than have to buy a faster C2D setup that I have to install an entirely new OS on.

DRen72
07-24-07, 04:18 PM
AMD should be the one doing this. They should just throw away that AM2 garbage and bring back 939 processors. They would be in ALOT better situation if they still offered 939. I know plenty that would upgrade their 939 processors to the standards of today's AM2 just because of the ease of upgrade(including me). As much as I hate AMD and love intel, I would MUCH rather just upgrade my 939 processor than have to buy a faster C2D setup that I have to install an entirely new OS on.

Here Here!
QFT

Tr1cK
07-24-07, 04:31 PM
:hug:

I do agree with AM2 being a flop. It was all done for marketing anyways. AMD had to 'keep up with the Jones' by being able to advertise DDR2. For the computer savy, we knew it yielded little to no benefit over DDR1, but to Joepublic, they don't know any better.

T.h.o.m.a.s.
07-25-07, 08:16 PM

if you just look at the orientation of the components before making that statement :o :o

grey_1
07-25-07, 08:58 PM
+1. My 939 board is the most incredibly stable board I've ever owned. If I could snag an AM2 5000 for a good price for it I'd be all over it.

Aphot
07-26-07, 11:52 AM
I know Asus came out with a 478 to 479 adapter for some of their boards so you could run a mobile chip on desktop boards.

DRen72
07-26-07, 03:57 PM
if you just look at the orientation of the components before making that statement :o :o

I see, so you have to have an ASRock motherboard for this to work. Ok.

fivefeet8
07-26-07, 04:23 PM
I see, so you have to have an ASRock motherboard for this to work. Ok.

You have to have the Asrock motherboards that support that AM2 upgrade board. My S939 Dual SATA2 has it. I do wonder if you can use your DDR1 ram with that upgrade board though. I wouldn't want to buy new ram along with the AM2 upgrade board. Also, the CPU slot is a bit too close the the actual motherboard. A wide Heat Sink would have issues.

Gregor976
07-26-07, 06:33 PM

I disagree. They need the AM2 for DDR2 memory. They should have continued to offer faster updated 939 cpu's also though. I can't see upgrading using this thing since you -still- have to purchase DDR2 for the AM2 cpu.

My next upgrade will be a quad "something". It's almost certainly going to be a C2Q.

I neither hate or love any tech company. I have a slight tendency to lean toward the underdog "AMD" if price/performance/"upgrade path" ratio is pretty equal. It makes me feel like I'm promoting competitive marketing I guess. :)

If I built a new pc today or upgraded today, there is -no- way I'd be able to go AMD, not when I can part out and sell my cpu/mobo/mem and pay for the majority of a new C2Q cpu/mobo/DDR2 Mem.

grey_1
07-26-07, 07:12 PM
I disagree. They need the AM2 for DDR2 memory. They should have continued to offer faster updated 939 cpu's also though. I can't see upgrading using this thing since you -still- have to purchase DDR2 for the AM2 cpu.

My next upgrade will be a quad "something". It's almost certainly going to be a C2Q.

I neither hate or love any tech company. I have a slight tendency to lean toward the underdog "AMD" if price/performance/"upgrade path" ratio is pretty equal. It makes me feel like I'm promoting competitive marketing I guess. :)

If I built a new pc today or upgraded today, there is -no- way I'd be able to go AMD, not when I can part out and sell my cpu/mobo/mem and pay for the majority of a new C2Q cpu/mobo/DDR2 Mem.
I thought the DDR2 brought minimal at best improvements for AM2 over 939?

Daneel Olivaw
07-26-07, 07:33 PM

Actually, its not so bad, I went from a s754 Sempron 2800+ to a s775 Core2 Duo and I didn't need to reinstall my OS. I simply bought a motherboard that had the same Southbridge as my AMD s754.

Went from Asus K8N-VM (southbridge is an Nvidia 410) to an Asus P5N-E SLI (southbridge is an Nvidia 430). So nothing to reinstall. Cost me less than 300 bucks total (ram + cpu + mobo). Almost same as my Vid card cost me a few months ago. If I had come from s939 it would have been pretty similar.

Gregor976
07-26-07, 08:03 PM
I thought the DDR2 brought minimal at best improvements for AM2 over 939?

That's totally true... If you use this "adapter card" you'll still have to buy DDR2 and put it in the slots on the adapter, because the AM2 cpu can only use DDR2. If I'm misreading the specs/limitations then I guess it isn't a bad deal. I don't think I did though.

Someone?

Daneel Olivaw
07-26-07, 08:21 PM
That's totally true... If you use this "adapter card" you'll still have to buy DDR2 and put it in the slots on the adapter, because the AM2 cpu can only use DDR2. If I'm misreading the specs/limitations then I guess it isn't a bad deal. I don't think I did though.

Someone?

True otherwise the board would need an additional memory controller. Which it doesn't have. So considering this, the adapter is only a trade of 30 bucks with a new mobo, which in this class of cheap mobos would run for less than 75 bucks. That adapter has no reason to catch on.