PDA

View Full Version : Vista 64 or 32

Pages : [1] 2

k_ozz
07-24-07, 02:56 AM
I am looking at upgrading to vista.

I currently have a AMD X64 CPU.

My question is should I buy the 64 or 32 bit version of Vista?

If I get the 64 bit version will all my other 32 bit programs run fine on the 64 bit version. (I do know that some may not be compatiable with Vista)

Thanks,

K

nekrosoft13
07-24-07, 06:53 AM
If I get the 64 bit version will all my other 32 bit programs run fine on the 64 bit version. (I do know that some may not be compatiable with Vista)

well, didn't you answer your own question?

and if you want program specific answers, you should list the names of programs/games.

rewt
07-24-07, 07:09 AM
I would recommend 32-bit. I use both versions; 32-bit on my laptop, 64-bit on my desktop. The only reason I use 64-bit is so I can develop software that is compatible with it. I've seen no significant increase in speed with the 64-bit version. There certainly is no increase in compatibility either..

nekrosoft13
07-24-07, 07:14 AM
i'm also using 64bit, i have absolutly nothing to bad to say about it.

three main reasons why i went with 64bit

1) it seems that WMP11 64bit deals better with large music library, i have over 10,000 songs

2) just didn't feel like bothering with 32bit now, and year or two years later installing 64bit.

3) will be going to 4gb of ram this year.

Smokey
07-24-07, 07:31 AM
I bought the 64bit version because thats the way things are moving.

six_storm
07-24-07, 08:10 AM
I've heard more bad things than good about Vista 64-bit, mostly programs not working correctly. Just make sure your hardware and drivers are 100% compatible though. But it's true, 64-bit is the way things are going and it's worth a shot. I got 32-bit Vista Business from my university . . . but it was free. :D Maybe I'll look into 64-bit in the future.

nekrosoft13
07-24-07, 08:23 AM
heard from who?

one programs that might not work are programs that use build in 32bit drivers.

everything works perfectly.

Inf1n1tyComplex
07-24-07, 08:27 AM
I use 64 bit cause I have 4 gig memory and vista is a memory hog... Going from 2-4 gig ram made all the difference and programs began loading and running faster...

Also I don't know if this is true or not but, I have heard 64 bit vista is more secure then 32 bit...

@nekrosoft13

Is that the main bad boss from the anime The Centurions in your avatar...? That's a really old cartoon just the memory of it compared to the quality of anime these days in both visual and storyline depth... Makes me question why I enjoyed it at the time... Perhaps I was just too easy too please...

radekhulan
07-24-07, 08:28 AM
I've heard more bad things than good about Vista 64-bit, mostly programs not working correctly.

I have heard that six_storm has only third-hand computer experience (one old woman told him something), and never used a real computer in person.

On topic: Vista x64 is the best OS currently available, 100% stable, secure, compatible with x86 world, no Linux, Solaris, OS X and/or (Free)BSD can match it. There have been many x64 vs x86 topics, just use a search.

nekrosoft13
07-24-07, 08:46 AM
@nekrosoft13

Is that the main bad boss from the anime The Centurions in your avatar...? That's a really old cartoon just the memory of it compared to the quality of anime these days in both visual and storyline depth... Makes me question why I enjoyed it at the time... Perhaps I was just too easy too please...

old school stuff is still much better then any modern crap. I don't watch anime, its just a show that i happened to remmember from my youth

six_storm
07-24-07, 08:48 AM
I have heard that six_storm has only third-hand computer experience (one old woman told him something), and never used a real computer in person.

On topic: Vista x64 is the best OS currently available, 100% stable, secure, compatible with x86 world, no Linux, Solaris, OS X and/or (Free)BSD can match it. There have been many x64 vs x86 topics, just use a search.

Good one there Euro. I've just read a bunch of threads of how certain games and apps just don't work (mainly crash) with x64 Vista, such as CS:S, HL2, Stalker and even older games like FarCry. I'd say that it is prolly due to video drivers, but who knows.

I'd like to try out x64 Vista but I don't have a copy and I'm sure not going to buy one when I have a free copy of XP Pro, XP 64 and Vista lol. Anyone wanna send me a free copy? :D

Inf1n1tyComplex
07-24-07, 08:58 AM
old school stuff is still much better then any modern crap.
Thanks for the advice... Next time someone points a gun at me I'll take out my replica stone axe from my stone age display and unleash ownage old school style.... (nana2) (nana2) (nana2) (nana2) (nana2)

@six_storm
Stalker works fine on 64 bit vista you just need to fully patch it... And farcry works fine as far as I can tell...

nekrosoft13
07-24-07, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the advice... Next time someone points a gun at me I'll take out my replica stone axe from my stone age display and unleash ownage old school style.... (nana2) (nana2) (nana2) (nana2) (nana2)

Brilliant comparison there lets compare cartoons to weapons

Just brilliant

six_storm
07-24-07, 09:06 AM
@six_storm
Stalker works fine on 64 bit vista you just need to fully patch it... And farcry works fine as far as I can tell...

Well rock on man. Like I said, I don't have a 64-bit copy of Vista so I dunno. I've just seen threads around saying how people have had problems with games crashing via x64. As long as your hardware is 100% compatible, then you're good to go.

Inf1n1tyComplex
07-24-07, 09:11 AM
Brilliant comparison there lets compare cartoons to weapons

Just brilliant
What...? You thought I was joking ? Seriously if someone gets shot it's like ouch... But if someone gets pwn'd by a replica stone axe thats real ownage... (lee63)

j0j081
07-24-07, 09:53 AM
64 bit works pretty good on this aging system. feels a bit snappier than when I first tested 32 bit as well but that was a while ago.

radekhulan
07-24-07, 10:17 AM
All these games great for me on Vista x64:
http://hulan.cz/temp/games.png

Q
07-24-07, 10:29 AM
I couldn't get Marvel Ultimate Alliance to install under Vista 64, although other people haven't had an issue.

JasonPC
07-24-07, 01:38 PM
Did you try installing it in compatibility mode?

XDanger
07-24-07, 02:23 PM
Ive never had a problem with hl2 , one of the few games with a 64bit mode in fact so its supposedly better off.

Rakeesh
07-24-07, 02:24 PM
Good one there Euro. I've just read a bunch of threads of how certain games and apps just don't work (mainly crash) with x64 Vista, such as CS:S, HL2, Stalker and even older games like FarCry. I'd say that it is prolly due to video drivers, but who knows.

I'd like to try out x64 Vista but I don't have a copy and I'm sure not going to buy one when I have a free copy of XP Pro, XP 64 and Vista lol. Anyone wanna send me a free copy? :D

Any key for a copy of vista (except home basic AFAIK) will work with its 64-bit equivalent. Unlike XP, the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of vista are considered by microsoft to be the same OS. I know this because I was issued two vista DVD's by intel, one 64-bit and one 32-bit, and the key for either of them will work with the other.

Q
07-25-07, 12:56 PM
Did you try installing it in compatibility mode?

Assuming your referring to me, yes, I tried in all the compatibility modes. I tried turning UAC on and off, too. No dice.

PaiN
07-25-07, 08:53 PM
Hell....since I just upgraded to 4gb of RAM..figured I might as well go all the way :cool:
I snagged Vista HP 64-bit and a WD SE16 HD to run it on...
Vista32 has been damn good to me....I'm hoping for more of the same from 64-bit "big brother"

crainger
07-25-07, 10:04 PM
I've had a great time with Vista 64 on my system. No major issues at all.

On the way to 4gb RAM so it'll come in handy to have it already installed. :D

Amuro
07-25-07, 10:15 PM
Question for those that use 4GB RAM /w Vsita x64 and have a X-Fi sound card. Does the card make any annoying noise? According to Creative forums, lots people are having issues with 4GB and X-Fi, and Creative said it has to do with PCI bus 32-bit addressing and 64-bit memory mapping.