PDA

View Full Version : Can't overclock my 7800GTX's anymore :(

tjohn
07-24-07, 06:15 AM
Hi all, I'm new here and have a problem.

Tried to overclock my evga 7800GTX's (SLI) last night and things freeze up at the testing point, a few times I got the blue screen telling me there was a infinite loop and windows was shut down. I tried installing some earlier drivers but the same thing happens. Also, there is a major lag when opening the nvidia control panel??

The last time I was actively overclocking my cards was playing stalker, so not to long ago. What could be causing this. How can I tell if one or both of my cards is going bad?

Here are my current specs of my build:
ASUS P5N32-SLI Deluxe mobo | SilverStone 600W SLI Certified PSU | Intel P4 650 | (2) eVGA 256-P2-N5257-AX 7800GTX's | Akasa Eclipse - 62 case with clear side panel kit | WD Caviar 250GB HDD | NEC DVD Burner 3550A | SONY DVD-ROM DDU1615 | Mitsumi 7 in 1 Floppy - Card Reader | Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 8 | (2) Corsair XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) SLI Certified TWIN2X1024-5400C4 | XP Home SP2 |

Thanks, TJ

tjohn
07-24-07, 08:03 PM
Anyone?

john19055
07-24-07, 08:13 PM
Try running one at a time and see if they both overclock and run right ,it might just be you have one of your 7800GTX going bad ,I had a 7900GTSS that went bad last week ,but it would'nt even go in to 3D mode at all ,but thank God it was a Evga ,I got a replacement in 2 days and they sent me a 7900GTX as the replacement so That was a upgrade.

tjohn
07-25-07, 07:22 AM
Thanks, I'll try it.

tjohn
07-25-07, 05:40 PM
Well I pulled both cards and tried to o/c them one by one and in both slots. NADA Neither of them will !! One just hangs at the test point and then ups a messages saying the it failed, and the other card gives me the bsod that says nv4_disp is not responding and the driver is in an infinite loop. My psu has handled everything perfectly since I built it over a year and a half ago. How can I tell if the psu is going bad? And can it be software related?? Maybe reverting back to a prior date??

Mr Bigman
07-25-07, 10:31 PM
Don't feel bad, I got a 7800GTX rig for lan parties and i can't even oc them either. I try it with Ntune and when i restart pc, its a default settings which means they don't stick. 7800GTX was a piece of **** anyway, the 6800Ultra was actually faster in games.

john19055
07-26-07, 05:16 AM
When you test them make sure to use the top slot or the Blue one for both cards .Plus have you changed anything in your Bios .I know when I had my 7800GT and was running in a ASUS board ,I would have the Peg Link Mode
set to Auto and it would overclock my video card automatically about 5 percent .I had to set it to disable for it not to overclock my video card.

tjohn
07-26-07, 06:46 AM
When you test them make sure to use the top slot or the Blue one for both cards .Plus have you changed anything in your Bios .I know when I had my 7800GT and was running in a ASUS board ,I would have the Peg Link Mode
set to Auto and it would overclock my video card automatically about 5 percent .I had to set it to disable for it not to overclock my video card.

Yep, I used the top slot for both. Yes, I did change one thing in my bios right b4 this started happening. I o/c'd my cpu. But that's what I always do b4 I start playing any system taxing game. I never touch peg link.

tjohn
07-26-07, 06:47 AM
Don't feel bad, I got a 7800GTX rig for lan parties and i can't even oc them either. I try it with Ntune and when i restart pc, its a default settings which means they don't stick. 7800GTX was a piece of **** anyway, the 6800Ultra was actually faster in games.

Mr.B, do you think a pair of any 79xx series cards would do better in my system? I don't want to put out the cash for an 8800 until I build a new pc.