PDA

View Full Version : So which one: Q6600 or E6850?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Tygerwoody
07-24-07, 08:44 AM
I'm purchasing one of these in the near future and I'm having a hard time deciding.

Right now I am leaning towards the E6850 because of the higher clocks, higher OC ability, lower heat, and lower power consumption. However, I'm wondering how much longer before games will take advantage of all those cores in the Q6600? If its over a year, then I see no reason to not buy the Q6600 as within a year there will be much better 4 core processors.

What do you think?

MUYA
07-24-07, 08:53 AM
Which games/apps truly take advantage of quad cores? :) I mean todays and up-coming? The thing about upcoming games/apps that purport to take advantage of quadcore...is well...all claims with no verification.

Maybe you should think about that bud? And also the price :p

nekrosoft13
07-24-07, 08:55 AM
dirt has settings for quad-core, look in the game directory, in config folder i believe

crysis, alan wake will use quad.

when it comes to apps, about every single video editing/encoding application will use quad

Tygerwoody
07-24-07, 08:59 AM
And also the price :p
The price of the two is the exact same.

MUYA
07-24-07, 09:01 AM
The price of the two is the exact same.
ooooHHh toughie. How much can you get by overclocking both is the next question :)

Yeah sorry for being Capt.Obvious :p

Quadcore overclocked maybe more future proof than the dual core?

BrianG
07-24-07, 09:30 AM
I voted for the Quad with my wallet. Heh.

CaptNKILL
07-24-07, 10:05 AM
Get a dual and overclock it a ton.

By the time Crysis is out (one of the few games being touted as quad core optimized), the penryn based Xeons will be available, and we will know if Quad cores are worth it for gaming.

If they arent, you'll already have an insanely fast dual core rig.

If you get a P35 board then you'll be able to upgrade to penryn with no problems if they do turn out to be worth it, and you might not even have to spend any extra money if you sell your dual.

maddbomber83
07-24-07, 04:17 PM
I voted for the Quad with my wallet. Heh.
I voted for the duo with mine.

it benches better in today's games, and its not like if it is behind performance wise with that quad in future games it will be that much.

BrianG
07-24-07, 05:18 PM
I voted for the duo with mine.

it benches better in today's games, and its not like if it is behind performance wise with that quad in future games it will be that much.
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTMwNiw1LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Referenced elsewhere in Quad v. Dual threads.

CaptNKILL
07-24-07, 05:43 PM

I hope future games benefit that much from quad cores, but sup com is definitely the one and only extremely multithreaded game out now. Nothing else will show that kind of increase.

breathemetal
07-24-07, 05:50 PM
Id get the 6850 and wait for the penryns

radekhulan
07-24-07, 05:52 PM
Get Q6600:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/07/16/cpu_charts_2007/page32.html

Performance advantage is huge comparing to dualcores for some apps/games, and the gap will only increase in a future.

a12ctic
07-24-07, 06:20 PM
If hes going to be waiting why not just wait? Or even get a low end sub 150$ chip? I don't understand gamers at all. 266$ isn't like a penny, thats a lot of money to just throw it away for something new in a few months...

crainger
07-24-07, 06:42 PM
I hope future games benefit that much from quad cores, but sup com is definitely the one and only extremely multithreaded game out now. Nothing else will show that kind of increase.

I finally got around to installing SupCom on my Quad Core. I must say it's quite impressive. 4 or more AI would kill my old 3800+ and even give my mates X24800+ a run for it's money, but on the quad core it just runs... I have vsync on and the game just sits at 40FPS, even in the heaviest of fire fights.

I'm going to have to try Oblivion too. It's multicore friendly. :D

einstein_314
07-24-07, 07:13 PM
I finally got around to installing SupCom on my Quad Core. I must say it's quite impressive. 4 or more AI would kill my old 3800+ and even give my mates X24800+ a run for it's money, but on the quad core it just runs... I have vsync on and the game just sits at 40FPS, even in the heaviest of fire fights.

I'm going to have to try Oblivion too. It's multicore friendly. :D
Yup, supreme commander LOVES my Q6600 too. It's good to see games starting to support multi cores. It's a sign of good things to come.

maddbomber83
07-24-07, 07:23 PM

And I counter that article is not a q6600 vs a E6850, it is 2 cores at same clock vs 4 cores at same clock.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3038&p=8

This shows the the Q6600 vs the E6850, the duo core at faster clock gets 10% advantage in Sup Com, a heavyily multithreaded game.

In fact all games showed better for core duo. Now the 3d programs and such favored quad, and we should see quad performance go up vs core duo, but my original point remains. The difference in performance in future games should be small if any.

right now, for gaming the duo is the way to go, in the future, it may be on par or maybe, just maybe, slightly behind (a fps or two) a similarly PRICED quad core.

maddbomber83
07-24-07, 07:31 PM
Get Q6600:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/07/16/cpu_charts_2007/page32.html

Performance advantage is huge comparing to dualcores for some apps/games, and the gap will only increase in a future.

Again, talking about gaming, in that quote
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/07/16/cpu_charts_2007/page16.html

The E6850 once again out performs the same PRICED Q6600.

You will find the E6850 at the top or within a few frames of the top of what matters for most gamers, games.
Plus, you don't need to rely on a program using 4 threads, heck, even at 1 thread you have a 3ghz processor, not a 2.44?

And lets not even start on the topic of OC.

If you commonly do all those other things, sure, get the quad, it makes sense.

If you're like me, and game, use internet and watch movies, the duo is the better bang for the buck. I mean, it is friggin fast, within 10% of the speed of the same priced quad in 3d apps / encoding / decoding / movies, and is 10% faster in games. It is a close call, but for me, I care more that my game runs smoothly than waiting an extra 2 seconds out of 25 for a dvd to decode.

PaiN
07-24-07, 09:57 PM
good point madbomb
here's a review (http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/intel_core_2_extreme_qx6850/) from FS...its the reason I passed on on getting a quad core...if you do nothing just look at the game benchmarks...at resolutions we normally game at now ( >1600x1200) there is virtually no difference in frame rates across any of these top end CPUs

SH64
07-24-07, 10:00 PM
Q6600 all the way.

crainger
07-25-07, 12:24 AM
Q6600 all the way.

Q6600 is just overkill!

Only complete nubs would have one.

SH64
07-25-07, 12:47 AM
Q6600 is just overkill!

Only complete nubs would have one.
I thought complete nubs would use teh c3ll ?!

crainger
07-25-07, 12:49 AM
Yeah that too.

An uber nub would have a PS3 AND Q6600 :D.

MUYA
07-25-07, 12:55 AM
How much futureproof would be a quadcore? No evidence to suggest otherwise but still....hard to resist having more cores....

SH64
07-25-07, 01:02 AM
How much futureproof would be a quadcore? No evidence to suggest otherwise but still....hard to resist having more cores....
Not much proof yet , but i see it as the next logical step after a dual-core.
for me .. just seeing how performance almost doubled in LP was enough for me to put it in my next upgrade list (which is might be very close with those massive pricecuts).
aside performance , i believe if games are coded properly for quad-core usage the stuttering/hitching in games will be reduced considrably. this is something that most reviews dont/& might not talk about.

MUYA
07-25-07, 01:21 AM
for me .. just seeing how performance almost doubled in LP was enough for me to put it in my next upgrade list (which is might be very close with those massive pricecuts).
Could you please provide me a link. I would be very interested to see those benches thanks