PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to hold off for now


DRen72
07-24-07, 09:04 AM
I was going to upgrade to a C2D in the next few weeks, but with so many things coming this fall (New nVidia GPU, new nVidia chipset, 45nm Intel CPU's, X38 chipsets, etc), I'm going to wait it out. Sounds lame, but the Crysis delay until at least Mid-November was the final straw. I feel like I'd be throwing away money if I don't wait until at least November or early December.

Anyone else holding off too?

Libertysyclone
07-24-07, 11:06 AM
I think that you are smart to do so, you have a decent system as it is now. The new NVIDIA stuff will be out around the time Crysis hits, Well most of the new stuff.

I am only going to upgrade now because I need a second machine for my Adobe work and the Q's are finally affordable.

six_storm
07-24-07, 11:14 AM
One of the biggest factors is that there are not a lot of DX10 games out yet. Games like UT3 and Crysis are just starting to tap the DX10 generation and multi-core CPU generation. You are smart waiting for NVIDIA's new GPU and the possibility of other new technologies. For me, I'm not just waiting, I'm getting married and broke!!! :D

nekrosoft13
07-24-07, 11:19 AM
One of the biggest factors is that there are not a lot of DX10 games out yet. Games like UT3 and Crysis are just starting to tap the DX10 generation and multi-core CPU generation. You are smart waiting for NVIDIA's new GPU and the possibility of other new technologies. For me, I'm not just waiting, I'm getting married and broke!!! :D

DX10 games or not, performance boost is always welcome. I would never go back to lower card from 8800gtx. even if most games i play are DX9.

i also do quite a big of video editing/encoding. moving from 4400+ to e6600 made a huge difference.

Revs
07-24-07, 11:21 AM
I'd be waiting too. No point in getting a 8800 when the 9800 is out in November for less money.

christos
07-24-07, 01:31 PM
I agree. I was planning to get a quad core now, but decided waiting until the end of year would be better. In fact I've just put my 8800gtx on ebay while I can still get 400-500 for it and have decided to spend that money on a ps3 to hold me over until Nvidia releases the G90 series.

DRen72
07-24-07, 03:16 PM
...What I would do is get a P35 now, keep your GTX and get a good and overclocking friendly C2D. Then upgrade to G90/G92 in November and buy a Quad Core in Q4 07 or Q1 08.

Thats a terrific suggestion and some folks may want to pay attention as that is a good option. For me though, I'm going to wait to see how this new nVidia chipset performs as well as final X38 boards. I'll say this...if the upcoming 9800GTX (or whatever they call it) is truly close to or 2x faster than the 8800GTX, then I will not consider SLI at all.

Just think a moment...a 9800GTX mated with a 45nm Intel Quad Core CPU and X38. Awwwww...Sounds nerdy...but thats me. :)

Tr1cK
07-24-07, 03:33 PM
You do have a nice system now. I think upgrading from that right now would be a waste of $.

Then again, you can always look at holding off on upgrades until the next round. Look at how long some of those geniuses have been waiting for the next great AMD CPU or how long some waited for the R600 to be delivered by the hand of god.