PDA

View Full Version : wish: transfer Vista license

radekhulan
07-24-07, 03:29 PM
I wonder why Microsoft did not make it possible to deactivate the Vista and transfer the license to another computer. It would save a lot of hotline re-activation phone calls. You need to reinstall a computer, or purchase a new one, than you deactivate it first, make a new installation with same serial number, and activate it again.

Adobe can do this for their CS2 / CS3 suites, and it makes things much easier.

Wonder why Microsoft does not offer such a service, at least for full / retail versions.

evilghost
07-24-07, 03:33 PM
Is this a serious question? Their goal is to make the end luser jump through as many hoops as possible in an attempt to force them to purchase another copy.

J-Mag
07-24-07, 03:54 PM
I can understand why this is done with OEM copies as you aren't supposed to be able to register it to a new computer.

Sazar
07-24-07, 07:59 PM
I wonder why Microsoft did not make it possible to deactivate the Vista and transfer the license to another computer. It would save a lot of hotline re-activation phone calls. You need to reinstall a computer, or purchase a new one, than you deactivate it first, make a new installation with same serial number, and activate it again.

Adobe can do this for their CS2 / CS3 suites, and it makes things much easier.

Wonder why Microsoft does not offer such a service, at least for full / retail versions.

Fwiw, I haven't had any issues so far simply reinstalling Vista on an entirely new build of a system.

Worked fine, no calls needed.

crainger
07-24-07, 08:43 PM
Went I reinstalled my retail version of Ultimate on my new build I had to call to get a new key. Was really painless. Even though there was still a heavy accent they guy was really polite and basically just asked a few questions like. Is this the only machine it's installed on?

However since then I've seen some odd behavior resulting in me needing to reactivate. First time I repaired my network connection (reset the network adapter using the Vista troubleshooter), Vista told me my hardware changed and I needed to reactivate. Second time I plugged in my Dig camera, same thing. It's crazy! It's not too bad though, it's a quick call and the call centres are actually pretty pleasent to deal with now...

JasonPC
07-24-07, 09:59 PM
You are entitled by the EULA to transfer an upgrade or retail version. You may have to call the Microsoft hotline if it was activated around 30 days before though I believe. I've transferred my XP multiple times and only had to call once when I had installed it on a new harddrive and then it needed reactivation when I installed an ATI (previously had an NVIDIA) card like a week later.

breathemetal
07-25-07, 12:58 AM
Just download the 1337awesomeTORRENT version of Vista...

...thats what all the cool people do...

...isn't it?

:angel:

crainger
07-25-07, 01:32 AM
It is... Just as well we are all geeks and nerds with paid for Vistas. No cool (lee63)s here.

ViN86
07-25-07, 08:48 AM
Is this a serious question? Their goal is to make the end luser jump through as many hoops as possible in an attempt to force them to purchase another copy.
seriously.

MS has the resources (ppl + money) to afford to try and force you into buying another copy. they dont give a **** if youve had a good user experience with their software, because for most ppl, theres nothing else for them to run.

however, Adobe needs to create a good user experience, because if you dont like their software, you may end up moving to paint shop, or some other open source editors.