PDA

View Full Version : 7950 Go GTX vs. 8700M?

peteskeys
07-25-07, 12:18 PM
So, I've been looking at a notebook before I head off to college, and I plan on doing moderate gaming on it in my spare time (I'm going to Maine, so I don't think I'll be playing too much frisbee on the commons in the winter...:o ). I had an Asus picked out that came with an 8600M, and decided to ask a friend at the last minute before I ordered. He builds computers and works in IT for a living, so he's knowledgable. When I asked, he actually laughed at me and then proceeded to tell me that the only mobile GPU worth owning is the 7950 GTX. I thought I'd get a second opinion before I end up buying something that is less future-proof for the wrong reasons and regret dropping $2500-$3000 (Sager NP5790 is what I'm now looking at). Does anybody know how these two cards stack up head to head? I've looked at specs online, and the 8700 has slightly faster core and memory clocks while the 7950 has a better memory bandwidth and fill rates. Though I try to keep up with technology, I'm no expert, so any advice or help will be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Peter

Elegy
07-25-07, 12:29 PM
The Go 7950GTX is significantly faster than the 8700M in directX 9 games. The gap is expected to narrow in directX 10 games, but the 8700M isn't powerful enough to enable high quality DX10 settings with decent frame rates anyway. The Go 7950GTX is essentially the same as the desktop 7950GT and the 8700M GT is essentially a slightly overclocked desktop 8600GT. Considering the 8600GT barely competes against the 7900GS in DX9, you can imagine how poorly it fares against the 7950GT.

peteskeys
07-25-07, 12:47 PM
Thanks, I guess this pretty much settles it then--7950 it is.

P.S. Right after I read this I found your post on a basically identical thread in the notebookreview forums. I suppose I'll have to look around a little more thoroughly before I post next time. :rolleyes:

Elegy
07-25-07, 01:00 PM
Thanks, I guess this pretty much settles it then--7950 it is.

P.S. Right after I read this I found your post on a basically identical thread in the notebookreview forums. I suppose I'll have to look around a little more thoroughly before I post next time. :rolleyes:

Don't forget that the 7950 uses significantly more power than the 8700M - 45W vs 28W I believe. If you're only doing moderate gaming, the 8700M would probably still be sufficient while also giving you an extra 20 or 30 minutes battery life and running cooler.

And yes, that would probably be the best advice but I do the same thing. I'm too impatient to search half the time :D.

peteskeys
07-25-07, 01:23 PM
Well, I'm purchasing it as a desktop replacement, so it should be plugged in about 90% of the time. Otherwise I'll probably be using it for word processing at the library, etc. And although my gaming is not ridiculously demanding now (I mostly play COD2 multiplayer and it runs fine at low/medium settings in DX7 on a 3 year old dell desktop with a 6800 and pentium 4 with 1 gig ram), it will become more so when COD4 comes out...

jcrox
07-25-07, 01:34 PM
Buy a cheap laptop for your school stuff $800 laptop will run MS word lol, then spend the other $2200 and get a gaming rig for the dorm room.... $2200 will get you an awfully nice desktop.... I hate laptops that are built to supposedly handle gaming, There's always a pile of them about 2 miles high at my buddies shop for in for repairs.

peteskeys
07-25-07, 01:53 PM
Buy a cheap laptop for your school stuff $800 laptop will run MS word lol, then spend the other $2200 and get a gaming rig for the dorm room.... $2200 will get you an awfully nice desktop.... I hate laptops that are built to supposedly handle gaming, There's always a pile of them about 2 miles high at my buddies shop for in for repairs.

Well, that'd be the plan if I was paying for it. Hell, I'd save myself some money and build a sick desktop for $1500. However, this is one of the last things I'm suckering my parents into buying before I move out, and they think having a desktop would be too much of a hassle. I disagree, but it's not my money--so I'll have to make do with a laptop for now considering that I don't have the money to buy it myself.