PDA

View Full Version : The truth(?) about SLI clock speeds...

jcrox
07-26-07, 12:19 PM
I doubt anyone even has 2 different branded 8800 cards to try this and see if it still holds true but....

I see a lot of people saying that if you put 2 differently branded cards in SLI, say an EVGA 8800GTS and an EVGA 8800GTS super clocked version, that the faster card will automatically down-clock to the slower card. I don't know how many of you have ever tried mixing brands with SLI but, from my experience this is completely UNTRUE!!!

Mind you, this was with a S939 setup and 1- EVGA 7800 GT and 1- BFG 7800 GT OC. I found that which ever card was put into the primary slot (the one you'd use for a single card set up) the secondary card would auto clock to that cards speed...whether it was down OR UP!! I got the same result with an EVGA NF41, EVGA NF47(or whatever it was that has 2- 16x pcie lanes) and an Abit AN8-32x. If no one has 2 different model 8800's to try this with, I may just have to go borrow one and give it a try again.

jAkUp
07-26-07, 12:41 PM
Hmmm, it was my understanding that it would clock down, but I do know that the clocks need to match in some way shape or form, so maybe the drivers just match the speeds.