PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who has not upgraded to dualcore?

saguy
07-27-07, 09:37 AM
Obviously there will be many that still not have upgraded to dual core but when I check the boards I sometimes feel like I am the only one. I still using socket 939 and single core because there are still not many games that benefit much with dual core other than Lost Planet which I'm not interested in. The near future will probably be different but how so remains to be seen. I remember many shouting off 2 years ago that dual core was the future and a must have and here we are 2 years later.

The only thing that worries me is that X2 cpu's for socket 939 are starting to get scarce and more expensive at the retailers. It may be wise for me to pick up a X2 as a final cheap upgrade before I jump to a new platform in a years time. At the moment my 64 4200 single core @ 2800mhz is a good match for my 8800GTS (benchmark scores are up there with the dual cores)

Which of these would you recommend to get me through the next year:

64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ - 2.0GHz - 512Kb - 39.94
64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ - 2.2GHz - 512Kb - 58.74
Opteron 64 170 Dual Core Denmark 2.0GHz 2MB Cache - 88.11

I will be overclocking and am looking for about 2800mhz or more on air.

Q
07-27-07, 09:50 AM
If the ONLY activity you do is game, then maybe a single core is sufficient for the time being. But it is a night and day difference in general computing between single core and dual core. One benefit of dual core gaming that is sometimes overlooked is the "smoothness" factor. A game might average 30fps on both single and dual core machines, but there might be less variation in the frame rate dual to extraneous services running on the secondary core instead of competing with the game for attention.

Edit: if you're overclocking I'd take the cheapest one you could find, honestly. The smaller cache sizes supposedly OC easier, but you'd be able to settle for a lower overclock with the 2mb cache since it kinda offsets the clock speed factor. I'd get the Opteron.

Tr1cK
07-27-07, 10:09 AM
I've seen the differences in dual-core first hand. It takes smoothness to the next level. I hooked my ex-roomy up with a 3800x2 and it performed leaps and bounds better/smoother than the 3500 it replaced. All he played was WoW and the difference it made was similar to the feeling of going from 1gb RAM to 2gb. (He had 1gb and after the upgrade it was almost as smooth as my 2gb.) I have the 3500 in my HTPC and have another 3800x2 sitting around, I just haven't took the time to put it in yet.

einstein_314
07-27-07, 10:12 AM
I don't know if 2.8Ghz will be achievable on any of those CPUs. I used to have an opty 175 (stock 2.2 GHz) and the max I could get out of it was 2.65Ghz. I don't know though....maybe the chips are better now than they were a year ago when I got mine.

Of those you listed, I would probably be tempted to get the cheapest one and overclock it as much as you can.

And let me tell you, once you go dual core, you'll never look back. the difference is night and day. I can't stand using a single core computer anymore.

Tr1cK
07-27-07, 10:16 AM
And let me tell you, once you go dual core, you'll never look back. the difference is night and day. I can't stand using a single core computer anymore.

+1 (The wife uses the single core for now. :))

john19055
07-27-07, 10:43 AM
I would go with a opteron 165 ,they are great overclocker plus they have 2mb of L2 cache.They were hitting 2.8gigs and some even did 3.1gig ,but it is always the luck of the draw ,but out of the ones you have listed I would go with the Opteron 170 since it has the extra L2 cache.I bought a opteron 175 back when they first came out and ran it at 2.75gigs 24/7 and they should overclock better now .

saguy
07-27-07, 11:29 AM
I don't know if 2.8Ghz will be achievable on any of those CPUs. I used to have an opty 175 (stock 2.2 GHz) and the max I could get out of it was 2.65Ghz. I don't know though....maybe the chips are better now than they were a year ago when I got mine.

Of those you listed, I would probably be tempted to get the cheapest one and overclock it as much as you can.

And let me tell you, once you go dual core, you'll never look back. the difference is night and day. I can't stand using a single core computer anymore.On my PC its gaming, gaming and nothing but gaming so I'm not sure how it will benefit by having a similar speed dual core. My setup runs fairly smooth as I turn off most background services when I game. I do agree however that there could be room for improvement as there is no such thing as your games running too smoothly. It is not so much the current games that concern me, but more the games like Crysis and Alan Wake that could fully utilize two cores. I have seen many current game benchmarks comparing single and dual core setups and there is insignificant or no difference to performance.

I suppose I am very cynical by nature so when I see must have new and improved features I tend to be suspicious. You only have to look at AMD with their then so called new and improved AM2 socket which performed about the same as socket 939. I am also treating DX10 and Vista with much suspicion.

The problem I am facing is that I will soon be forced to decide in that by the time Crysis and such games come out and things become clear it may be very difficult to find a dual core socket 939 CPU.

khellandros66
07-27-07, 11:41 AM
ALot of new games will be multi thread, so Dual Core will strut its stuff with InCrysis, UT3, Alan Wake, etc where the game will be able to offload much of its phyiscs to one of the cores and game AI will be on the other. OSes almost always use part of each core but since they are light loads its not that big a deal.

~Bobby

saguy
07-27-07, 11:55 AM
Yeah, well I think I will have to get the Opty before they run out and pray that it hits 2800mhz on air like my current single core 64 4200 which clocks like a dream.

saguy
07-27-07, 11:58 AM
While we on the subject of single and multi core I'm just curious if there are are any 360 and PS3 games that utilize multi cores?

Tr1cK
07-27-07, 12:14 PM
I suppose I am very cynical by nature so when I see must have new and improved features I tend to be suspicious. You only have to look at AMD with their then so called new and improved AM2 socket which performed about the same as socket 939. I am also treating DX10 and Vista with much suspicion.

Smart man.

939 to AM2 yielded nothing to AMD but more profits lost. They should have waited for new architecture before entering the DDR2 or DDR3 race. AM2 is already outdated and worthless as AM2+ (AFAIK it's +) is the new kid on the block. Vista is the future though. DX10 is here even though it's just not being fully utilized as of yet.

Tr1cK
07-27-07, 12:16 PM
While we on the subject of single and multi core I'm just curious if there are are any 360 and PS3 games that utilize multi cores?

I believe that would be yes. AFAIK, both platforms are multi-cored and developers do code for it.

john19055
07-27-07, 01:07 PM
Does'nt the XBox 360 have three 3gig cpu's in it .You would think they would code games to take advantage of the multicores ,since it has three ,I think.

Daneel Olivaw
07-27-07, 06:14 PM
Obviously there will be many that still not have upgraded to dual core but when I check the boards I sometimes feel like I am the only one. I still using socket 939 and single core because there are still not many games that benefit much with dual core other than Lost Planet which I'm not interested in. The near future will probably be different but how so remains to be seen. I remember many shouting off 2 years ago that dual core was the future and a must have and here we are 2 years later.

The only thing that worries me is that X2 cpu's for socket 939 are starting to get scarce and more expensive at the retailers. It may be wise for me to pick up a X2 as a final cheap upgrade before I jump to a new platform in a years time. At the moment my 64 4200 single core @ 2800mhz is a good match for my 8800GTS (benchmark scores are up there with the dual cores)

Which of these would you recommend to get me through the next year:

64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ - 2.0GHz - 512Kb - 39.94
64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ - 2.2GHz - 512Kb - 58.74
Opteron 64 170 Dual Core Denmark 2.0GHz 2MB Cache - 88.11

I will be overclocking and am looking for about 2800mhz or more on air.Buy the cheapest for 939 and consider yourself lucky to have gotten your hands on it. Then overclock it to 2.4GHz and quit worrying about your hardware. :)

Tr1cK
07-27-07, 06:27 PM
Buy the cheapest for 939 and consider yourself lucky to have gotten your hands on it. Then overclock it to 2.4GHz and quit worrying about your hardware. :)

Ding. The 3800x2 is easy to do it with. Drop the memory multi so that its running 4/5 instead of direct 1/1. I ran a 240fsb with 200 ram forever.