PDA

View Full Version : Multiple SLI connectors on 8800 Ultra

Chris97b
07-27-07, 12:07 PM
Hello all,

I recently received my pair of 8800 ultra cards, and I will be dropping them in my system tonight. I did notice though, that these cards (BFG 8800 Ultra OC) have 2 sli bridge connectors on the top of the card. Does it matter which of these is used to bridge the cards? The manual for the card doesn't seem to say anything about it, and I have E-Mailed BFG but have yet to hear back. I would like to get these up and running today, but I *really* don't want to fry some seriously expensive hardware by crossing it up.

Incidentally, why does the card have 2 connectors anyway? Is this just an option for case/space considerations, or does the card support quad SLI?

Thanks in advance,

--
Chris

jAkUp
07-27-07, 12:30 PM
It does not matter, the second is used for future 3 card applications

Revs
07-27-07, 12:39 PM
So is it known if the 8800's with these two connectors are actully gonna be capable of a SLI setup with more than 2 cards. There are mobo's out now with 4 slots so it is phisically possible, but are nVidia gonna be making drivers to suit this setup??

J-Mag
07-27-07, 12:43 PM
The 9 series (or whatever they call it) will be out before anything that uses the second SLI connector on an 8800. It's kinda sad actually...

Revs
07-27-07, 01:43 PM
The 9 series (or whatever they call it) will be out before anythign that uses the second SLI connector on an 8800. It's kinda sad actually...

True, unfortunately :(

Chris97b
07-27-07, 01:56 PM
Awesome, thanks for the info. I figured that was the case, but wanted to be sure :)

--
Chris

T.h.o.m.a.s.
07-28-07, 05:30 PM
if you want high bandwith SLI you have to use use both connectors
its a thing few people know;)