PDA

View Full Version : Is this +12v voltage low??

Mr_LoL
07-27-07, 07:50 PM
Howdy guys. I just fired up speedfan and had a look at the voltages.
I have a 400watt psu powering the stuff in my sig for the time being which is a bit silly I know.
The +12v currently sits at 11.04v. Is this low? If they are what are they supposed to be at?

Rytr
07-27-07, 08:04 PM
12V + or - 5%

Yes, if it's reading correctly it's low and your system will be unstable or worse.

Mr_LoL
07-27-07, 08:29 PM
12V + or - 5%

Yes, if it's reading correctly it's low and your system will be unstable or worse.
Its the +12v reading in speedfan. I have had no stability issues so far but I will be getting a new psu at the end of the month.

Revs
07-27-07, 08:29 PM
Double check in the BIOS

john19055
07-27-07, 08:48 PM
It sounds low ,is it that in the Bios,and looking at what you are running a 400watt power supply may be cutting it close.How many amps does it have on the 12v rail.

Mr_LoL
07-28-07, 12:04 AM
It sounds low ,is it that in the Bios,and looking at what you are running a 400watt power supply may be cutting it close.How many amps does it have on the 12v rail.
Its got 29 amps on the rail. I think I am cutting it fine to be honest.

Rytr
07-28-07, 12:43 AM
29 Amps is extremely good for a 400 Watt-rated power supply. Is that the printed rating or is that an actual check that you made?
If you haven't already you should take Rev's suggestion and check the +12V rail in the bios and then compare with the reading you got with speedfan. If the bios still reads less than 11.40V I would suggest that you lower your oc on your e6600 until you get your new psu or somehow lower the stress on your +12V rail just to be safe.
Might as well ask now, did you take that reading at idle or under load? It would make a difference. A strong psu might vary a couple or so hundreths, a weaker one can very several hundreds or even tenths.

Starscream
07-28-07, 01:10 AM
Its the +12v reading in speedfan. I have had no stability issues so far but I will be getting a new psu at the end of the month.

I find speedfan's voltage readings are way off from other software and what the bios shows on any pc I've used it on. I'd suggest checking what your bios shows and installing some other monitoring software.

Mr_LoL
07-28-07, 11:29 AM
29 Amps is extremely good for a 400 Watt-rated power supply. Is that the printed rating or is that an actual check that you made?
If you haven't already you should take Rev's suggestion and check the +12V rail in the bios and then compare with the reading you got with speedfan. If the bios still reads less than 11.40V I would suggest that you lower your oc on your e6600 until you get your new psu or somehow lower the stress on your +12V rail just to be safe.
Might as well ask now, did you take that reading at idle or under load? It would make a difference. A strong psu might vary a couple or so hundreths, a weaker one can very several hundreds or even tenths.
Its a total of 29 amps split across 2 12v rails. I have just been into the bios. The readings are
vcore 1.432 (Even though its set at 1.5)
3.3v 3.264
5v 5.040
12v 11.648v
Looks like it should be ok for the time being I suppose.

Rytr
07-28-07, 11:43 AM
Yeah, you're OK until your planned upgrade.
The only reason I made a big deal is because you have a GTX and I would hate to see you come back in here and comment about a puff of smoke taking out your video card.

Mr_LoL
07-28-07, 11:53 AM
Yeah, you're OK until your planned upgrade.
The only reason I made a big deal is because you have a GTX and I would hate to see you come back in here and comment about a puff of smoke taking out your video card.
Yeah thanks for the advice. I plan on getting a corsair 520watt psu in the next couple of weeks.