PDA

View Full Version : Is Vista sleep broken on 8800s?

sspot5
07-27-07, 10:13 PM
I am having issues with sleep under Vista. I can usually, but not always, put the PC to sleep and wake it up on the first attempt. After the 1st sleep though, any subsequent sleeps fail and require a PC reboot.
I've heard of other Nvidia owners having problems getting sleep to work with Vista.
Does anybody else experience this issue?

methimpikehoses
07-27-07, 10:47 PM
I am having issues with sleep under Vista. I can usually, but not always, put the PC to sleep and wake it up on the first attempt. After the 1st sleep though, any subsequent sleeps fail and require a PC reboot.
I've heard of other Nvidia owners having problems getting sleep to work with Vista.
Does anybody else experience this issue?

It took me a while to figure out that to wake from Vista, you need to press the power button on your PC.

OliverRedfox
07-27-07, 11:58 PM
My system wakes up fine from mouse, keyboard, or power button under Vista. This is a with a 8800gts & Nforce 590 motherboard. I used to have issues waking when I had an X-Fi card, but I had some many issues related to it, that I switched to onboard sound and haven't looked back.

Your waking issue could be the result of any device on your system. Anything from motherboard drivers, to sound card, to USB devices can cause issues. I would start with testing by removing various devices until you figure out which is causing the issue. It's best to start with a stripped down system and make sure it works, then slowly add devices back in until it errors out. Then search for solutions for that specific device.

nekrosoft13
07-28-07, 12:47 AM
It took me a while to figure out that to wake from Vista, you need to press the power button on your PC.

that depends from BIOS, some boards have settings like wake up from keyboard, mouse etc..

sspot5
07-28-07, 12:51 AM
My system wakes up fine from mouse, keyboard, or power button under Vista. This is a with a 8800gts & Nforce 590 motherboard. I used to have issues waking when I had an X-Fi card, but I had some many issues related to it, that I switched to onboard sound and haven't looked back.

Your waking issue could be the result of any device on your system. Anything from motherboard drivers, to sound card, to USB devices can cause issues. I would start with testing by removing various devices until you figure out which is causing the issue. It's best to start with a stripped down system and make sure it works, then slowly add devices back in until it errors out. Then search for solutions for that specific device.

Interesting. I also have an X-Fi card. I may try removing that to see if the issue persists.

sspot5
07-28-07, 02:09 PM
Well, it wasn't the X-Fi card. I removed the card and uninstalled the drivers, but the sleep problems persist.

AdamK47
07-28-07, 03:25 PM
My PC seems to wake up every time now from sleep. With old drivers this never happened. Here are my specs. (http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.aspx?rigid=34478)

OliverRedfox
07-29-07, 02:03 AM
sspot5, what is your hardware configuration? Motherboard make/model, add-on cards, USB devices, etc.

sspot5
07-29-07, 11:57 AM
Vista Home Premium 32-bit
Asus P5W DH Deluxe - Bios 2205
Core 2 Duo E6600
2 GB PC6400 DDR2
Geforce 8800GTX
Soundblaster X-Fi Extreme Music
Logitech G15 keyboard and G5 mouse attached via Dell WS monitor to USB
3 internal HDDs of various makes and sizes

OliverRedfox
07-29-07, 03:28 PM
I have a G15 keyboard and G7 mouse. I'm under Vista x64, so my experiences may not be the same as yours. But the keyboard driver made my system unstable so they were removed. I hate running without my g-keys, but I'll wait until the next build and hope they work better for me. As for the mouse, the latest setpoint 4.00 drivers work like a charm for me. Other then that, I couldn't comment on the other devices you've got. I'd try removing the keyboard drivers (and maybe even the mouse drivers) just to check and see if using the default standard drivers fix the issue for you. Good-luck.

DarkOneX
07-29-07, 09:03 PM
I've had issues with Sleep or even simply screensavers randomly not working ever since like Windows 95 with any PC I've owned. Don't believe it's anything with Vista, it's just an inherit flaw in Windows period since it's inception no matter what your hardware is. Basically at this point I have my monitor just blank out after 10 min and it works a few times then quits working and I have to reset it by simply going in and switching it to 9 min then back to 10. Again, that's happened to me since Windows 95 on countless machines.