View Full Version : 7950 GX2 or 880 GTS 640?

07-29-07, 06:22 AM
Hi, at the moment I have a 7950 GX2. I am thinking as the budget is a bit tight, getting an 8800GTS 640 mb, or would I be better keeping the GX2? Biggest res I run is 1680 x 1080 (16:10), so would I notice much difference, other specs:
2 gig ram
Gigabyte DQ6 mb.


07-29-07, 06:32 AM
Thats a tough one.

The choice between the two is easy, the 8800 is faster and a hell of a lot easier to use (no SLI crap to worry about). But I'm not totally sure if its worth the money to upgrade from one to the other.

If you can sell your GX2 and get a 8800 for an extra $100-$150 I'd say thats a good deal. If not, you might want to save up a bit longer for the next line of cards that will probably be out in a couple months.

07-29-07, 06:56 AM
Thank's for the reply, here in AUS the latest greatest are WAY expensive (over $1000au for 8800 ultra, $800-$900 for 8800GTX :thumbdwn: ), this is the only reason I was thinking 8800 GTS 640. Maybe the GTX will drop when the new range comes out....

07-29-07, 07:57 AM
Go for the GTS , you wont regret it. yes even over your GX2.

07-29-07, 08:12 AM
Yip, GTS 640MB all the way .... just one GTS is faster than the GX2, and it renders the graphics a lot nicer.

07-29-07, 08:16 AM
Personally, i'd wait. Newer cards are out in a few months and that would mean 1 of 3 things for u;

1. U could have saved up a bit more for a 9800GTS/GTX, or

2. The market will be full of people selling their 8800's cheap cheap!, or

3. The price of new 8800's will drop (but not a massive ammount).

Either way, now is not the best time to be buying. ;)

EDIT: Also the 8900's must be out soon, same applies when that happens!

07-29-07, 08:23 AM
Av a look at this >>


I would say the difference between yours and the GTS isnt worth the upgrade money unless u wanted DX10, and a single GTS aint too hot for that anyhow.

07-29-07, 08:26 AM
I had a 7950 GX2 and it was faster using stock clocks on both than my 8800GTS. However, once overclocked the GTS 640 pulled away. Also, the GTS supports DX10 and you don't have to worry about SLI profiles with the 8800GTS. As long as you are willing to bump the clocks up on the 8800GTS, it will be faster.

07-29-07, 09:16 AM
stick with the 7950GX2 for now... wait till the 9800GTS comes out...

07-29-07, 09:24 AM
Hold on to your 7950 GX2.

07-29-07, 10:17 AM
If you're going to have plenty of money for the holidays (Christmas of course), you can get a 8800 GTS and get one of the new 9800 cards from Nvidia which are due Q4 2007.

The reason I'm saying this is because the 8800 GTS 640MB should allow you to enjoy plenty of games such as Crysis and Bioshock and whatever else even in DX10 mode while you wait for the 9800 cards to be released.

If you won't have funds for such a card during Christmas holidays, though, I say hold onto your 7950 GX2 and grab a 9800 when they're released. You can even sell the 8800 GTS 640MB and get a bit of money back. You really can't go wrong either way - it just depends on how much money you have.

07-31-07, 06:42 AM
Thanks to all of you. I think I'll wait & save a few more $$$. The GTS sounded ok, but who knows the GTX price may drop.

Any like I said, thanks to all.:)