PDA

View Full Version : Could this be what fixes Vista for a lot of us?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

terror_adagio
07-29-07, 09:47 AM
Microsoft has apparently decided to release some updates for Windows Vista x86 and x64 versions to the testers.

Updates are:
Windows6.0-KB938194-x64.msu @ 3.65mb
Windows6.0-KB938194-x86.msu @ 2.13 mb
Windows6.0-KB938979-x64.msu @ 14.15mb
Windows6.0-KB938979-x86.msu @ 9.86mb

938979 Vista Performance and Reliability Pack
This update resolves a number of individual issues which may be affecting some computers running Windows Vista. These issues have been reported by customers using the Error Reporting service, product support, or other means. Installing this update will improve the performance and responsiveness for some scenarios and improves reliability of Windows Vista in a variety of scenarios. Some examples of the improvements contained in this update are:

• Improves performance in resuming back to the desktop from the Photo and Windows Energy screensaver.
• Resolves an issue where some secured web pages using advanced security technologies may not get displayed in Internet Explorer on Windows Vista.
• Resolves an issue where a shared printer may not get installed if the printer is connected to a Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 system and User Access Control is disabled on the Vista client.
• Resolves an issue where creating AVI files on Vista may get corrupted.
• Improves the performance in calculating the ‘estimated time remaining’ when copying/moving large files.
• Improves performance in bringing up Login Screen after resuming from Hibernate.
• Resolves an issue where synchronization of offline files to a server can get corrupted.
• Resolves a compatibility issue with RAW images created by Canon EOS 1D/1DS Digital SLR Camera which can lead to data loss. This only affects RAW images created by these two specific camera models.
• Resolves an issue where a computer can lose its default Gateway address when resuming from sleep mode.
• Improves the performance when copying or moving entire directories containing large amounts of data or files.
• Improves the performance of Vista’s Memory Manager in specific customer scenarios and prevents some issues which may lead to memory corruption.

938194 Vista Compatibility and Reliability Pack

• Improved reliability and compatibility of Vista when used with newer graphics cards in several specific scenarios and configurations.
• Improved reliability when working with external displays on a laptop.
• Increased compatibility with many video drivers.
• Improved visual appearance of games with high intensity graphics.
• Improved quality of playback for HD-DVD and Blue-Ray disks on large monitors.
• Improved reliability for Internet Explorer when some third party toolbars are installed on Vista.
• Improved Vista reliability in networking configuration scenarios.
• Improved the reliability of Windows Calendar in Vista.
• Improved reliability of systems that were upgraded from XP to Vista.
• Increased compatibility with many printer drivers.
• Increased reliability and performance of Vista when entering sleep and resuming from sleep.

Eliminator
07-29-07, 10:28 AM
interesting.... anyone tried this?

fivefeet8
07-29-07, 11:11 AM
Slow file copy/write/read performance are some issues I'm having with Vista. This looks to address them, finally. :headexplode:

terror_adagio
07-29-07, 11:12 AM
Does anyone have links to the hotfixes? If you do, post or PM, please!

Electronic Punk
07-29-07, 11:19 AM
Also noticed a new raid controller driver on windows update - newer than the one in 15.01 -- 995.

Seadogs
07-29-07, 11:27 AM
Hmm it's enough to perk my interest alright. Whats the usuall (ballpark) turnaround from test release to full?

Electronic Punk
07-29-07, 11:31 AM
Downloading the updates now.

If people are trying to find them, you can grab them if you are on the Windows 2008 beta on connect.microsoft.com

wid0wmaker
07-29-07, 11:45 AM
i might be tempted to install vista again if i can get my hands on these.

malachi1313
07-29-07, 11:52 AM
somebody should host these files if they can...

RanCorX2
07-29-07, 12:15 PM
download links needed! :captnkill:

ekovalsky
07-29-07, 12:21 PM
download links needed! :captnkill:

Yes please!!!

I've been blaming nvidia for the DX10 SLI problems, maybe the fault lies with Vista... This thread is the first mention I've found about these new hotfixes.

verncat
07-29-07, 01:07 PM

If people are trying to find them, you can grab them if you are on the Windows 2008 beta on connect.microsoft.com
Could you be more specific on where to get hese? I am on connect.ms.com right now and don;t see where.

Shawn

RanCorX2
07-29-07, 01:21 PM

will you post some links when you have them?

Electronic Punk
07-29-07, 02:14 PM
I installed them a while ago -- only thing I have noticed is that if I download a huge file from the net (ie the quake wars beta - 900 megs) it didn't take 3 months to copy it automatically to my desktop.

As for distributing it, I can't post it from connect as its a beta I am currently in and I am known everywhere under this handle, including by Microsoft, so I would lose my place on the beta.

I am sure it will appear soon enough tho!

Electronic Punk
07-29-07, 02:15 PM
Could you be more specific on where to get hese? I am on connect.ms.com right now and don;t see where.

Shawn

You can only get them if you are on the Windows Server 2008 Beta, check out the downloads section the package is there, also has some fix for WindowsXP as well, but I have no XP machines.

RanCorX2
07-29-07, 02:29 PM
damn, well all i can say is i hope they are released or leaked soon, i bet there are sh*t loads of users wanting these updates!

wjajna
07-29-07, 05:17 PM
I installed them a while ago -- only thing I have noticed is that if I download a huge file from the net (ie the quake wars beta - 900 megs) it didn't take 3 months to copy it automatically to my desktop.

As for distributing it, I can't post it from connect as its a beta I am currently in and I am known everywhere under this handle, including by Microsoft, so I would lose my place on the beta.

I am sure it will appear soon enough tho!

you couldn't install them because they aren't up yet ??
http://www.aeroxp.org/board/index.php?s=&showtopic=9665&view=findpost&p=109097

Crisao23
07-29-07, 05:32 PM
Hotfix has it

Dragunov
07-29-07, 05:48 PM
Somebody tried them already?

thx

Sycario
07-29-07, 06:29 PM
I tried these because I'm really sick of random slowdowns in WoW and FEAR. So far they broke rivatuners driver so RT won't load anymore and that means no O/C.

ekovalsky
07-29-07, 07:58 PM
I tried these because I'm really sick of random slowdowns in WoW and FEAR. So far they broke rivatuners driver so RT won't load anymore and that means no O/C.

After reboot, Vista wouldn't load drivers from Rivaturner, also the Vista version of Peerguardian2. It was just a signing issue though, once I bypassed the x64 signed driver requirement they both loaded fine.

If this happened with x32 the updates may have had other effects.

Sycario
07-29-07, 08:13 PM
I'm using the x64. I tried running my file to disable driver signing but it still doesn't work.

ekovalsky
07-29-07, 08:16 PM
I tried reinstalling the 162.22 WHQL drivers after installing the hotfixes. While the "display stopped responding" nvlddmkm errors persist they seem less frequent even with the GPUs significantly overclocked (648/1620/2304 via modded BIOS). Still the most reliable way to induce the error is to bring up the explorer bar in IE7 and start navigating through the favorites list. And again this only happens when SLI is enabled.

Probably going back to 158.45 yet again.

Sgt_Pitt
07-29-07, 09:16 PM
so do they improve performance ?

DarkOneX
07-29-07, 09:33 PM
Installed this shiz and I couldn't get back up on my network or internet. Tried system restore and reinstalling and same thing. S omething about some component service dependancy issues. Ended up trying the F8 "disable enforced driver signing" thing and that worked. Kinda wierd but I'm fine with disablign that I guess.