PDA

View Full Version : EGM doesn't like Lair.

Pages : [1] 2

Namrok
07-30-07, 07:16 AM
http://www.sonydefenseforce.com/?p=14

Alright, I might be out of the loop, but WTF is SonyDefenseForce?

At any rate, no full review there. Just the highlights of the EGM review, which to be honest seems to echo sentiments that previewers assumed would be fixed by a final version. Oops. Or the jackasses reviewed a preview copy and/or the website tried to pass of a preview as a review, I donno, no idea how credible they are.

Edit: Ok, looking around, the review seems legit. It'll probably be popping up on 1up sooner or later. The EGM editors confirmed the scores on the 1up message boards.

ENU291
07-30-07, 09:16 AM
I respect EGM and 1up but I'm going to wait for other review sites to chime in on this one.

|MaguS|
07-30-07, 09:38 AM
Im going to wait for more reviews to come out before judging the game. EGM also gave Blue Dragon a bad review...

NaitoSan
07-30-07, 10:15 AM
A friend of mine told me EGM gave Lair bad review. :( I've been looking forward to this game for a long time.

Hopefully more reviews come up and it's above decent, otherwise it'll save me $60. Play magazine gave Lair 9/10... but they also gave next-gen Sonic 9.5/10. :wtf:

Marvel_us
07-30-07, 10:15 AM
Eh...I'm gonna say most reviews are going to say the same thing. One con for me is that you HAVE to use sixaxis to fly the dragon. It didn't work well for me in Warhawk. I highly doubt it'll work well for me in Lair. F5 needs to put an analog option in there.

ENU291
07-30-07, 10:25 AM
Eh...I'm gonna say most reviews are going to say the same thing. One con for me is that you HAVE to use sixaxis to fly the dragon. It didn't work well for me in Warhawk. I highly doubt it'll work well for me in Lair. F5 needs to put an analog option in there.Damn sixaxis BS. I say dump the sixaxis control, add rumble, redesign the triggers and add a headset jack so that a wired headset can be used. So far i find using a bluetooth ear piece a real hassle with the PS3.

P.S. Sorry about going off topic. :o

|MaguS|
07-30-07, 10:37 AM
Bluetooth is a hassle? WTF?

toxikneedle
07-30-07, 10:45 AM
That's because Blue Dragon looks retarded. :p
Played the demo, and I hate the character design.
qft

ENU291
07-30-07, 11:10 AM
Bluetooth is a hassle? WTF?
So far my experience with bluetooth headsets for the PS3 is: I turn on the PS3, I turn on the ear piece, I HAVE to tell the PS3 to connect to the bluetooth ear piece EVERYTIME I want to use it. Total hassle in my book. And what happens if I am in an intense multiplayer game and the bluetooth ear piece battery runs out?

|MaguS|
07-30-07, 11:58 AM
And what happens if I am in an intense multiplayer game and the bluetooth ear piece battery runs out?

Well then you learn to charge your earpiece more often or get a new earpiece. My Jawbone lasts about 5 hours of active talktime which I dout I will use in one sitting.

Lyme
07-30-07, 12:01 PM
That's because Blue Dragon looks retarded. :p
Played the demo, and I hate the character design.

Ahh, unfortunatly Blue Dragon is true to Anime design considerations. While you may dislike the character design the choice was made to suit the Japanise gamer, of which I have the strong impression you are not. I personally like the design, but then again I used to watch quite a bit of anime years ago.

I hear for Lair they have removed the motion control of the dragon while on the ground.

|MaguS|
07-30-07, 12:09 PM
Ahh, unfortunatly Blue Dragon is true to Anime design considerations. While you may dislike the character design the choice was made to suit the Japanise gamer, of which I have the strong impression you are not. I personally like the design, but then again I used to watch quite a bit of anime years ago.

I hear for Lair they have removed the motion control of the dragon while on the ground.

I love anime and I can't stand the character design of Blue Dragon. The main character looks like he's 12 and yet his voice is that of a 30 year old...

Lyme
07-30-07, 12:12 PM
I love anime and I can't stand the character design of Blue Dragon. The main character looks like he's 12 and yet his voice is that of a 30 year old...

Woulden't that be a problem with the dubbing rather than the character design?

Namrok
07-30-07, 12:22 PM

Heh, reminds of Farris Beuler's Day Off. All the "highschool" age actors were in their late 20's/early 30's at the time :p How much would it suck to be 30 and have to play kids in movies.

Peoples-Agent
07-30-07, 12:30 PM

It's really quite typical of the Japanese though, "eccentric" comes to mind.

I suppose they wanted to steer away from the little girls with huge eyes routine.

|MaguS|
07-30-07, 12:34 PM
Woulden't that be a problem with the dubbing rather than the character design?

Poor voice dubbing hurts the characters. You can't have a cute little character and have him sound like a guy named butch.

S.I.N
07-30-07, 12:34 PM
http://www.sonydefenseforce.com/?p=14

Alright, I might be out of the loop, but WTF is SonyDefenseForce?

At any rate, no full review there. Just the highlights of the EGM review, which to be honest seems to echo sentiments that previewers assumed would be fixed by a final version. Oops. Or the jackasses reviewed a preview copy and/or the website tried to pass of a preview as a review, I donno, no idea how credible they are.

Edit: Ok, looking around, the review seems legit. It'll probably be popping up on 1up sooner or later. The EGM editors confirmed the scores on the 1up message boards.

Something like what Magus did. You were talking about Lair but he just had to bring up Blue Dragon for 360 to deflect the score Lair got. We are proud members.(lee63)

I pre-ordered it for $42 so I'm still getting it.

Namrok
07-30-07, 12:51 PM
Something like what Magus did. You were talking about Lair but he just had to bring up Blue Dragon for 360 to deflect the score Lair got. We are proud members.(lee63)

I pre-ordered it for $42 so I'm still getting it.

Just $42? Nice. It's so hard for me to justify spending $60 on a lot of these next-gen games :( Probably why I've mostly been getting PC, Wii & DS games.

Lyme
07-30-07, 02:29 PM
I'm actually a pretty hardcore Japanese style gamer. I actually lived in Japan for a couple months (Kyoto), and speak the language a bit. The style they chose is just too...goofy.

The dragon looks like the Genie from Aladdin.

The game just has this bizarre look to it. Like Dragon Ball Z mixed with Disney. And the voices don't match the characters as Magus pointed out.

It's the same type of problem I had with LoZ: Windwaker. I hated the look/artistic direction of the game, and just couldn't enjoy it even though I've been a huge fan of every other Zelda game.

I guess I didn't pay enough attention to Blue Dragon when I was playing the demo, guess I'll give it another go through. True I only played 10min of the 1hr. My son who watched me play simply loved the characters and animations, should I pick it up I'm sure he will want to play it.

Windwaker, kinda funny.. I liked the cell shaded graphics and enjoyed the game and thought that the direction they went with the twighlight princess and those graphics was wrong.

Badboy_12345
07-31-07, 01:19 AM
all the complaints I see about blue dragon here is about the art direction of the game... Not one has said anything about the gameplay :rolleyes:

well in this day and age who cares about the gameplay right? its not important...

You dont like the art in the game? SUCKS FOR YOU
play another game then

But blue dragon has fantastic gameplay and I have played the demo 5 times now. Cant wait for the full game to hit the stores

ENU291
07-31-07, 07:59 AM
How did a thread about Lair turn into a thread about Blue Dragon?? :wtf:

Badboy_12345
07-31-07, 08:50 AM

blame magus and butter bandit.. :lol: :p

H3avyM3tal
07-31-07, 09:06 AM
Shmucks, he started, you continued...

Lyme
07-31-07, 11:20 AM

Lets face it, most of us have hands on experince with the demo for blue dragon with lair it is simply what other sites write.

The gameplay in blue dragon looked well put together and the combat was nice. I probably would have lasted longer if I spent the time to go through the teaching sequences.

Zelda_fan
07-31-07, 12:26 PM
Poor voice dubbing hurts the characters. You can't have a cute little character and have him sound like a guy named butch.

this is why I hope Zelda never gets voice acting. People don't realize that it can hurt more than it helps if it isn't done properly (and 99% of games have terrible voice acting imho).