PDA

View Full Version : Epic's Mark Rein: Consoles To Keep DirectX10 PC Games Down

Pages : [1] 2

SeriTonin
07-30-07, 12:52 PM
www.firingsquad.com

"This Computer and Video Games article reports on some quotes from Epic Games' VP Mark Rein, who believes games that use the new DirectX10 graphical features won't become widely used until the next generation of console games are released in about five years. Here is a snip:
"Publishers are generally putting their money where the highest return is, and in the past that's been on consoles and I think that's still the case. So if you build the game that's a really super amazing high-end game, how do you make all the money you could make from that game, because it'll be too high end eventually to be on PS3 or Xbox 360"

I disagree. DX7 was pretty much the standard for gamecube/ps2 and dx8 for xbox and we saw plenty of dx9 gaming for pc's.

If dx10 won't be utilized for 5 years, why come out with the new api NOW and Vista, the special dx10 brew os. :thumbdwn:

All the patches and support I see for dx10 already (and much more proactive than when dx9 hit pc;'s) I don't understand such an almost ignorant comment. I have to hold my tongue on ignorant since this interview comes from one of the few developers I still respect. But sheesh. Epic's own games gears and ut3 for pc will support dx10 which consoles of course do not. And here you have a guy saying that dx10 support will be little-to-none for the next 5 years. While his own damn products do.

So what he's saying is, essentally, there's no money to be made from dx10....but we put this money pit into our games....

wtf?

DRen72
07-30-07, 12:58 PM
www.firingsquad.com
[I]....the next generation of console games are released in about five years. 5 years? They will have "next-gen" consoles out long before that.

I think DX10 will give PC games a boost myself. Lets see what he says after Crysis and Bioshock hit the shelves.

SwedX
07-30-07, 01:05 PM
Yeah ones more the fuc.. retarded bastard speeks his BS..I really start to hate this moron..the man just is full of shi.t.
Why can't he just STFUK.

MaUiLoCaL
07-30-07, 01:06 PM
Mark Rein honestly must be the most outspoken dev I can think of. (crazy)

SwedX
07-30-07, 01:12 PM
The guy is an Idiot and now i can see why ppl dont like him.
First his BS about Gears will look so much better then Crysis.

The man must be sick..send the moron to the hospital allready.

ASUSEN7900GTX
07-30-07, 01:19 PM
so is MS holding back DX10 to wait for their next console to be ready and then realese it for PC....i donīt know just a thought i got, and if so perhaps Crytek got a exclusive right to make Crysis DX10 adn DX9 other games have been patched with mixed succes.

well 5 years what the hell do they realese Vista and make DX10 cards if we have to wait 5years souds like big fat MS bull**** to me

BioHazZarD
07-30-07, 01:20 PM
Idiot yes, a few months ago he said it would take years to port Gears of war to pc to be able to run it and now look ? He talks to much **** theese days.

SwedX
07-30-07, 01:25 PM
Idiot yes, a few months ago he said it would take years to port Gears of war to pc to be able to run it and now look ? He talks to much **** theese days.

So true the the only thing coming from the man is just that BS.
I wonder if annywon listening to him annymore.

For every sentence he say the bigger moron he gets.

nekrosoft13
07-30-07, 01:33 PM
Is a PS3 really based on DirectX?

not entirelly sure, but i believe its more opengl

ENU291
07-30-07, 01:48 PM
The RSX is an OpenGL ES 2.0 part.

MaXThReAT
07-30-07, 02:15 PM
Wow, I'm sorry but most of you people are just completely wrong here. I'm afraid the guy is dead on here. Does anyone actually think before they post. "Consoles To Keep DirectX10 PC Games Down" Ummm Splinter cell, Oblivion, GRAW's, Overlord, Stranglehold, even Bioshock. These don't make the most of what a highend machine can offer. What the guy is saying is devs are focused on consoles right now, consoles that can't do the type of graphics a high end PC can. Overlord is a great game, lots of fun but it's got crap textures, console controls and was made with a console audience in mind. GRAWs, crap textures. What he's saying is if a game is made for consoles (and most are going to be) unless the devs really put the PC time in it's not going to be utilizing everything a top of the line DX10 machine can offer. Not until consoles catch up to PC's and that my friends is why Vista is around.

People need to understand, everything is about money, nothing ells. Right now it takes allot of money to make a good game. I think last I read it was about 5 million, just to start making a AAA game. It almost costs more to make a AAA PC game than you could ever recoup in the sales, ever. With consoles it's easy to make a profit even it your game isn't AAA because you have 3 million morons buying games, on PCs it's another story and we know this.
PC gamers are not morons and we demand games that look as good as Crysis and run perfect on every system configuration imaginable. I know Nvidia is doing everything they can to help Devs test and debug and test and debug but it's not like consoles and it never will be and this is were companies can loose allot of money.
As of late my opinion of the destruction of PC gaming has gone from MS wants to turn the PC in to an Xbox, to MS want to completely kill off PC gaming. I mean why not, why would MS waist their time and energy on PC gaming when it cost so much time and money, with such a little return on investment and they have the 360 making big dollers. ATI and Nvidia will continue to produce GPUs for consoles, cell phones, PDAs and anything ells that needs a GPU. I don't think it's an accident that Live sux balls.
I see all this as either a Vista DX10 port machine bump in the road as the PC becomes a console with three levels of systems Low, Med and High (MS rating system) Oooorrr the systematic destruction of PC gaming.

Oblivion, FarCry, Fear, NFS, Splinter Cell, UE3, Lost Planet, GTA, COD, MOH and so many painfully more all have become console games. PC doesn't even get GTA anymore, most got console exclusives, why, we know why, I know why. STOP BUYING CONSOLES, I know, easier said than done. Halo was a PC only game it was going to be great, Crysis will be one of very few last great PC games.

MaUiLoCaL
07-30-07, 02:19 PM
It's good to have devs that like to tell it like it is however.

Nitz Walsh
07-30-07, 02:37 PM
5 years? They will have "next-gen" consoles out long before that.
Uh, no they won't. Expect this gen of consoles to be on the market for another 5 years before we see the next one, certainly not "long before that". The PS3 isn't close to being profitable, the 360 has yet to turn a profit just this year (let alone the huge backlog MS has in the entire Xbox venture). The complexities of these consoles + the amount invested in them will mean MS and Sony will want to milk them for all their worth.

Remember if it wasn't for MS wanting to kill the Xbox as it was costing them money for every console due to fixed prices, they wouldn't have released the 360 2 years ago - more like a year ago at most, though without the pressure from MS who knows how long Sony would make laid back until they release the PS3 as well. Look at how well the PS2 is still selling.

m3dude
07-30-07, 02:44 PM
so is MS holding back DX10 to wait for their next console to be ready and then realese it for PC....i donīt know just a thought i got, and if so perhaps Crytek got a exclusive right to make Crysis DX10 adn DX9 other games have been patched with mixed succes.

well 5 years what the hell do they realese Vista and make DX10 cards if we have to wait 5years souds like big fat MS bull**** to me

dude what the hell does any of this have to do with microsoft? or do you just get off on blaming them for everything because they are evil?

reading comprehension 101 buddy

and i think some of you need to think back to when dx 9 became widely used. dx 9 arrived in middle of 2002? with the first dx 9 card(r300) arriving aug 2002? wasnt far cry the first dx 9 game to ship in feb 04? then u had hl 2? and that was pretty much it? what other games actually used dx9 with a real difference between dx 8 and when did they come out?

AngelGraves13
07-30-07, 02:45 PM
I see this as the start of PC gaming, not the end. We have yet to make great interactive games. Screw consoles. Nothing will ever be better than a high-end PC.

Reynaldo
07-30-07, 02:47 PM
Yeah, it seems like nobody even read what he said. I see things just like he said in the interview, companies see money in consoles, so we PC gamers get mostly lousy ports.

AngelGraves13
07-30-07, 02:49 PM
Yeah, it seems like nobody even read what he said. I see things just like he said in the interview, companies see money in consoles, so we PC gamers get mostly lousy ports.

Maybe if they made better consoles, the ports wouldn't be as lousy! (nana2)

m3dude
07-30-07, 02:54 PM

your pc has no chance in hell to ever play what those 'lousy' consoles can. both offer an experience your pc will never be able to meet

Reynaldo
07-30-07, 03:15 PM

It's not because consoles are crappy, it's because companys aren't willing to invest in a proper PC port if the real gains are going to be made from console software. So they do a half baked port, and expend little money in it.

3DBrad
07-30-07, 03:22 PM
your pc has no chance in hell to ever play what those 'lousy' consoles can. both offer an experience your pc will never be able to meet

LOL, the PS3's GPU isn't as powerful as a 7800gtx, but it is close to it per Nvidia when the 7800gtx was released.

m3dude
07-30-07, 03:28 PM
LOL, the PS3's GPU isn't as powerful as a 7800gtx, but it is close to it per Nvidia when the 7800gtx was released.

cell + rsx is far more powerul than his pc. also rsx/cell will be coded for directly which will allow it to output far better visuals/physics/gameplay/ai than his p4+7800 could only dream of achieving

xbox360s xenos just outclasses his 7800 by a landslide

how about this. post an ss of lost planet so we can see what quality settings your running at with the fps enabled.

jcrox
07-30-07, 03:51 PM
cell + rsx is far more powerul than his pc. also rsx/cell will be coded for directly which will allow it to output far better visuals/physics/gameplay/ai than his p4+7800 could only dream of achieving

how about this. post an ss of lost planet so we can see what quality settings your running at with the fps enabled.

You pointing out a system that has a GPU that is two, soon to be three, generations old.... He did say "High End Systems" which by the way destroy consoles when it comes to performance/graphics/everything.

Nitz Walsh
07-30-07, 04:20 PM

All the hallmarks of a lovely troll:

1) Poor punctuation.
2) Rambling, near-incoherent style.
3) Completely unsubstantiated claims.

Not bad. Have a cookie with AIDS on it.

nemecb
07-30-07, 04:33 PM
Jeez, some of the posts in this thread make my head hurt.:headexplode:

For my part, I think he's partially right, but that's not the only thing that's going to hold back DX10 adoption. As with any new tech, initially only a few people are going to have it and a lot will have older stuff (consider all the people still gaming on FX 5x00 cards). Consoles are a part of that, but they're not the sole factor.

ASUSEN7900GTX
07-30-07, 04:33 PM
m3dude i never said that MS is holding back DX10 i meant that i didnīt know just a thought wich is a completely different from claiming things to be, saying MS do this or that and having a thought is 2 very different things.

so i never siad it was MS holding back DX10 or that they had anything to do with this article/thread only that it was a thought ok?