PDA

View Full Version : Vista killing flash drives?

Sycario
07-30-07, 04:12 PM
So far I've had 3 flash drives that have been screwed up but only after using them with Vista. Two of them, OCZ 2GB USB 2.0 flash drive, are now read-only so I can't format or write anything to them. The third that I bought to replace my other, a PNY Attache, now has the same problem. I can't figure out the exact cause but I know on the last two, I formatted them under vista then plugged them into a machine running XP. Then I get the error.

Right now I'm on XP Pro and I cannot format any of them. I've never had a problem like this before. The problems only start after using them in a vista box. Right now it says the drive is read-only. These flash drives have no way of going read only (by the way of a switch or something) that I know of.

Anyone notice any problems? I'm about to use my MSDN support ticket and see what they say about it.

grey_1
07-30-07, 04:30 PM
I have a memorex 2 gig traveldrive that gets a good deal of use. No problems here. *Crosses fingers*

BrianG
07-30-07, 05:55 PM
I have a memorex 2 gig traveldrive that gets a good deal of use. No problems here. *Crosses fingers*
Yeah, 1GB Sandisk, used for ReadyBoost until a 4GB replaced it this weekend. No issues either.

CaN, You may want to use a different USB header. You coming off the mobo, front ports or hub?

Sycario
07-30-07, 07:34 PM
I'm using the ones off the back of the mobo. The first drive died on my evga 680i, second on my Asus Commando and the one today is on the MSI p35 Platinum. I have 3 unusable drives now. I can't think of any reason vista would make the drives non-writable, but it is happening.

grey_1
07-30-07, 08:16 PM
Really, reeaally long shot, but are you using bit-locker and accidentally encrypting the drives?

Sycario
07-30-07, 08:31 PM
Really, reeaally long shot, but are you using bit-locker and accidentally encrypting the drives?

No, I have never used that. I removed it from the install with vLite.

Sazar
07-30-07, 08:45 PM
I have a Sandisk Cruzer plugged into my system and I've been using it for months, non-stop.

No issues here.

grey_1
07-30-07, 08:49 PM
I've never heard of a usb port killing hardware, but???

evilghost
07-30-07, 09:46 PM
I've had it happen, a bad USB port will easily kill a flash drive, we had some vendor's desktop kill two of them. Possible bad voltage, it should be 5v 300ma AFAIK (research to double check the amperage).

Zelda_fan
07-30-07, 10:19 PM
I've had it happen, a bad USB port will easily kill a flash drive, we had some vendor's desktop kill two of them. Possible bad voltage, it should be 5v 300ma AFAIK (research to double check the amperage).

My respect for you went up a notch. You had a chance to bang on Vista and you passed it up. Props.

crainger
07-30-07, 10:30 PM
Probably an imposter.

BrianG
07-30-07, 11:13 PM
BTW, ReadyBoost 4GB SanDisks are $40 at Best Buy.

Sycario
07-30-07, 11:28 PM
This has been on 3 different motherboards though. The flash drives still show up, it's just that you can't write to or format them. The only thing in common between the systems is vista. All the times I used those with XP I never had a problem.

Edit - I'm back on XP (x64) now. When I plug the drive in it says "The disk is not formatted". If I try to format it, it says "The disk is write protected".

evilghost
07-31-07, 09:15 AM
This has been on 3 different motherboards though. The flash drives still show up, it's just that you can't write to or format them. The only thing in common between the systems is vista. All the times I used those with XP I never had a problem.

Edit - I'm back on XP (x64) now. When I plug the drive in it says "The disk is not formatted". If I try to format it, it says "The disk is write protected".

Go into Computer Management -> Disk Management and kill the partition on the flash drive. Create a new partition and then try to format it, the partition table could be corrupted. If Disk Manager won't let you do it you can use a Linux LiveCD to fdisk it.