PDA

View Full Version : Got C: Locked down by mistake

LAMPs
07-30-07, 07:50 PM
Hey guys:

My first post here. I got to this forum because I was looking on the web for a solutions to a friend's problem. He was reading online and somewhere on a forum he got an article saying that it was good to limit the access to the C: drive in order to make it more secure. The problem is that he actually got rid of all permissions and the drive now is inaccessible even for admin. Whenever he tries to open the C: drive he got the message "access denied". If he opens any preinstalled software like power point is like it never got installed and the program starts the first run (setup). He is using Vista but I don't know the version.

Any help will be really appreciated.

Thanx,

LAMPs

LAMPs
07-31-07, 04:12 PM
Oops, looks like it's a more complicated issue than what I thought... anybody? :(

Q
07-31-07, 04:18 PM
You might have to boot in safe mode...

Right click on C:, then go to Proprties. You'll need to have his username take control (OWNERSHIP) of the drive in the Security Tab under advanced. Here is how to do that....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Then have him restore privileges to Administrators, System, and his user name. Make sure to force the changes through for all subdirectories as well.