PDA

View Full Version : PGR being limited by DVD Format

Pages : [1] 2

|MaguS|
07-30-07, 07:56 PM
I know evilchris will come in here with his stupid remarks about blu-ray and all but here is words directly from the developer of PGR on how they are not able to implement time of day cycles into the game due to the storage capacity of the DVD. So I guess this makes Sony right on the subject that for nextgen games we need more storage?

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/30/bizarre-confirms-pgr4s-cities-comments-on-dvd-constraints/

"You won't see different times of day per city because this involves recreating all the textures again (one for day and one for night). Whilst this wasn't a problem for our dev team, it was a problem fitting all this data onto a single DVD."

Insted of having true time of day cycles they are just altering the lighting for the cities to give off the effect of driving at different time of the day.

toxikneedle
07-30-07, 09:30 PM
meh.... i'd care if a game that would actually be interesting was space constrained. plus MS is gonna have a new console in like 2 years.

evilchris
07-30-07, 09:48 PM
Are PS3 and X360 next gen anymore? I believe they're current gen.

http://home.earthlink.net/~glenn63/shill.JPG

evilchris
07-30-07, 09:53 PM
meh.... i'd care if a game that would actually be interesting was space constrained. plus MS is gonna have a new console in like 2 years.

It's funny how absolutely *dumb* magus is. He scours the net and finds *one* instance of *one* developer bitching about something, and to him it = "SEe hehEHe WwE ENeED mORE GIgABYTETREs!!"

MustangSVT
07-30-07, 10:35 PM
Insted of having true time of day cycles they are just altering the lighting for the cities to give off the effect of driving at different time of the day.
Is there a good racing game on PS3 with "true time of day cycles"?

evilchris
07-30-07, 11:04 PM
The PS3 can actually change REAL WEATHER dude.

pkirby11
07-30-07, 11:20 PM
The PS3 can actually change REAL WEATHER dude.

:lol2:

Sorry that really made me laugh. Can it fold my laundry too? If so I'm so there.

Ninja Prime
07-30-07, 11:34 PM
Err since when do you race long enough for the time of day to change anyway?

nrdstrm
07-31-07, 12:14 AM
You know what? I'm starting to get sick of everyone ripping Magus...He has posted several threads that include anti Sony info...It seems to me he just posts things he finds relating to the video game industry...Does he sometimes act like an ass about things? Sure, but who doesn't (cough...evilcrhis...cough)...I have seen him be honest when his logic/post does not pan out though, wich is more than I can say for some of you....Lay off the guy now and then, OK?

As to the relevant post...I think you will see more and more developers saying things like this...Why, for instance, do MMO companies have to put games on MULTIPLE DVD's? This problem would be solved if with higher storage media...Sure it can't happen right away with PC, because adoption rates won't pick up until they are cheap (under $100)...But for a console, where the developer is producing games for multiple systems, why can't they bitch about storage constraints on one system? I think it was MS's mistake in not allowing the add on HDDVD Drive to be used for games...They could have simply had games that were "HDDVD ONLY"...

crainger
07-31-07, 12:21 AM
:lol2:

Sorry that really made me laugh.

LOL yeah. That one needs to be sig'd.

evilchris
07-31-07, 12:35 AM
I love that doucharamic " cough <insert fagotry here> cough " thing people do I lolzer irl.

PeterJensen
07-31-07, 12:46 AM
I love that doucharamic " cough <insert fagotry here> cough " thing people do I lolzer irl.

You must be the stupidest mother****er on this board. Damn your one sad person.:thumbdwn:

Lyme
07-31-07, 12:50 AM
Magus had a good post, I wouldn't harass him over it. I would harass Bizarre Creations over using a suck ass game engine that cannot calculate lightmaps on the fly and requires them all to be pre-rendered.

evilchris
07-31-07, 12:55 AM
You must be the stupidest mother****er on this board. Damn your one sad person.:thumbdwn:

COUgh COugh COuhg ok beavis cough

Mr_LoL
07-31-07, 01:51 AM
Evilchris is clearly a bias tool so just leave it at that please.

evilchris
07-31-07, 01:53 AM
Evilchris is clearly a bias tool so just leave it at that please.

lol you remember that statement! I can't find that damn tool ANYWHERE!!!

Peoples-Agent
07-31-07, 02:20 AM
C'mon , Magus is always poking remarks aimed towards the 360. The only time he has anything positive to say about it is during defence of fan boy accusations. lol

Any small excuse to have a dig at it , and he will.

Hear them complaining about the lack of space, why not just make it a double DVD. It's not going to break anyone's back having to swap disk around midst a long single player campaign is it.

Mr. Hunt
07-31-07, 06:53 AM
Err since when do you race long enough for the time of day to change anyway?

Not sure about PGR (played the first and disliked it), but the Gran Turismo series has had many endurance races where you race for hours.

Badboy_12345
07-31-07, 07:06 AM
Not sure about PGR (played the first and disliked it), but the Gran Turismo series has had many endurance races where you race for hours.

thats not in PGR :p
At most you race for 20 min I think

H3avyM3tal
07-31-07, 07:22 AM
Either most of you are stupid, or something...
He just posted something that a pgr dev said about the dvd capacity.
Everyone here jumped at one time and said that dvds have enough capacity.
Well, thats not the case at some points.

Stupid ass evildick...

NAZCA M12
07-31-07, 07:26 AM
C'mon , Magus is always poking remarks aimed towards the 360. The only time he has anything positive to say about it is during defence of fan boy accusations. lol

Any small excuse to have a dig at it , and he will.

Well said. Thank **** we got guys like you, zelda, steeda, badboywhatshisname etc etc around these fora to provide us with some much needed objectivity :rolleyes:

Yeah, but give credit where credit is due. At least he's consistent (ly a ******* mother****ing arsehole) :D

I suppose a 2nd DVD would solve the problem really. Although it might end up sounding a bit like this:

- (Player) I'm up to 2nd. Good job. Entering final lap now.
- (Player) Clearly faster down the straight than the guy in 1st. Will go for it.
- (Player) 290, 300, 310...OK, i'll go right behind him to get a tow.
- (Player) We're side by side now. I can see the finish line!
- (Player) Woohoo! I'm slightly ahead! I'm going to win! I'm going to win! I'm...
- (Xbox) Game freezes: "Please insert Disc 2"
- (Player) I'm going to the bathroom, man.

ralinn
07-31-07, 08:08 AM
I know evilchris will come in here with his stupid remarks about blu-ray and all but here is words directly from the developer of PGR on how they are not able to implement time of day cycles into the game due to the storage capacity of the DVD. So I guess this makes Sony right on the subject that for nextgen games we need more storage?

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/30/bizarre-confirms-pgr4s-cities-comments-on-dvd-constraints/

Interesting read - cheers. Liking the looks of both GT5 and PGR BTW. The recent shots of GT5 just look amazing.

toxikneedle
07-31-07, 08:22 AM
Well said. Thank **** we got guys like you, zelda, steeda, badboywhatshisname etc etc around these fora to provide us with some much needed objectivity :rolleyes:

Yeah, but give credit where credit is due. At least he's consistent (ly a ******* mother****ing arsehole) :D

I suppose a 2nd DVD would solve the problem really. Although it might end up sounding a bit like this:

- (Player) I'm up to 2nd. Good job. Entering final lap now.
- (Player) Clearly faster down the straight than the guy in 1st. Will go for it.
- (Player) 290, 300, 310...OK, i'll go right behind him to get a tow.
- (Player) We're side by side now. I can see the finish line!
- (Player) Woohoo! I'm slightly ahead! I'm going to win! I'm going to win! I'm...
- (Xbox) Game freezes: "Please insert Disc 2"
- (Player) I'm going to the bathroom, man.
Did he just write up a dialogue to explain to us what switching disks is like in his imaginary game? Dude... go outside and get some air.

Tr1cK
07-31-07, 08:32 AM
In ECs defense, Magus did basically 'call him out' in the first sentence of the OP.

SeriTonin
07-31-07, 09:20 AM
I don't understand why they could'nt just make a 2nd disk.