PDA

View Full Version : Sony being sued over CELL

|MaguS|
07-30-07, 10:08 PM
http://au.gamespot.com/news/6175851.html

In its suit, Parallel Processing Corporation of Newport Beach, California, cites a patent for "synchronized parallel processing with shared memory" that was approved on October 8, 1991. The patent was originally assigned to International Parallel Machines of New Bedford, Massachusetts, while Parallel Processing Corporation describes itself as its "exclusive licensee."

The suit doesn't specify which of the patent's claims Sony is infringing upon, but it states that the company's actions "are causing irreparable harm and monetary damage" to the company. Parallel Processing Corporation is seeking damages and attorney's fees with interest, as well as the impounding and destruction of all Sony products that infringe on the patent.

I find this interesting if they have a case this could really **** over Sony but what makes it more interesting is that its only filed against Sony when IBM and Toshiba worked inconjuction with Sony to develope the CPU. Why are Toshiba and IBM also not being sued? IBM has super computers that are running off the CELL CPU yet they are not causing harm and damage to the company? eh?

Also let us bring up the fact that the patent was filed in 1991 yet it is only up until now that it is being defended considering that the CELL CPU was in testing and development for 7 years now.

These guys join the other company who has sued Sony over Blu-Ray and not any of the other members of the BDA.

evilchris
07-30-07, 10:09 PM
DOES IT EVER STOP?

It's so VERY funny how MAGUS always makes SURE he CAPITALIZES CELL as if he is FOLLOWING trademark GUIDELINES the way a SHILL would!

|MaguS|
07-30-07, 10:10 PM
DOES IT EVER STOP?

I've been wondering the same thing about your posting...

Yeah it's horrible how I type the name of something how its used by the companies. Dam me! For now on I will type Playstation Three and Xbox Three Sixty.

evilchris
07-30-07, 10:11 PM
I've been wondering the same thing about your posting...

So says the dumbass with 13,000 Sony shill posts loaded with broken Engrish and horrid grammar.

I'm going to make your eyes bleed:

cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell

BTW Magus what AT&T office do you work out of? I happen to rolling a ****load of OPT-E-MAN out.... I'm sure you know a lot about it so lets chat on one of AT&T's prime initiatives

Madpistol
07-30-07, 10:53 PM
Doesn't the Xbox 360 have a similar multi-core processor? I believe they are both parallel processing units, which means that Microsoft should fall under the same suit....

I smell a scam brewing. As long as the PS3 has been on the market, this should have been identified before the PS3 was even released. My guess, it'll be ugly for a few months, and then no one will ever hear about it again and Sony will continue to sell the PS3.

Amuro
07-30-07, 11:21 PM
Doesn't the Xbox 360 have a similar multi-core processor? I believe they are both parallel processing units, which means that Microsoft should fall under the same suit....

I smell a scam brewing. As long as the PS3 has been on the market, this should have been identified before the PS3 was even released. My guess, it'll be ugly for a few months, and then no one will ever hear about it again and Sony will continue to sell the PS3.
All know about X360's CPU is that it uses in-order execution cores.

Ninja Prime
07-30-07, 11:39 PM

Ehh I don't think it covers all parallel processing... that been around since the 70's.

Zelda_fan
07-30-07, 11:49 PM
cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell cell

Actually it's "cELL™." The PS3™ is self aware. If you don't give it proper trademark credit it could give you ED or something worse when u walk by the local best buy.

Madpistol
07-31-07, 12:10 AM
Ehh I don't think it covers all parallel processing... that been around since the 70's.

yea. that was a brain fart. :headexplode:

Unless "teh cELL" is an exact copy of the same exact technology that those guys used, they really don't have a hope in hell of winning this case. Sony will leave untouched.

nrdstrm
07-31-07, 12:20 AM
DOES IT EVER STOP?

It's so VERY funny how MAGUS always makes SURE he CAPITALIZES CELL as if he is FOLLOWING trademark GUIDELINES the way a SHILL would!

How does him posting a lawsuit make him capitalize on the Cell? All he is saying is that perhaps the people with the lawsuit should be suing different parties...Your logic sometimes is flawed evilchris...It also seems you have some sort of vendetta against Magus...I don't understand you thinking...

evilchris
07-31-07, 12:37 AM
How does him posting a lawsuit make him capitalize on the Cell? All he is saying is that perhaps the people with the lawsuit should be suing different parties...Your logic sometimes is flawed evilchris...It also seems you have some sort of vendetta against Magus...I don't understand you thinking...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/parenting/images/300/baby_crying_closeup.jpg

nrdstrm
07-31-07, 12:47 AM
Wow...Your response was amazing...I think it's so good I plan on using it someday...I downloaded the picture just so I could accurately respond to criticism instead of responding with a comment that lent credence to my original statement...Great job there evilcrhis...You are now my hero....LOL

Lyme
07-31-07, 01:05 AM

The patent link:
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=5,056,000.PN.&OS=PN/5,056,000&RS=PN/5,056,000

Anyhow the Cell and the Xenon while they seem to be quite similar due to the multiple core design, the Xenon is not a parallel processing configuration. The parallel processing functionality with shared memory would be in reference to the the eight SPEs found on the die, rather than the powerpc derivative unit. this suit and patent in particular does not refer to the Xenon while does hit a few of the bases in the Cell. I wouldn't expect MS to get dragged into the suit. Then again maybe they approached MS already and it was settled while Sony is following the Immersion method.

IMO this company is patent trolling, but the American patent system rewards patent trolls quite well. On that note..

Evilchris you can stop trolling anytime now.

SeriTonin
07-31-07, 09:18 AM
I had a playstation once....

six_storm
07-31-07, 10:09 AM
The cELL backfired, just like this car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ3Qb45uiPI