PDA

View Full Version : why oblivion is so slow on C2D E6600 and a 8800gts

ASUSEN7900GTX
07-31-07, 07:07 AM
well can it be that i modded abit too much and thatīs why the game runs so slow i tried Qualrs TP II and III slow with both i use stream line no matter it wonīt run faster outdoors anywayīs so perhaps i need to reinstall everything and go with one QTP question is wich one.

any advice?

Tork64
07-31-07, 09:11 AM
Hmm, I have the same setup as you and it slows down only because of the Nvidia memory bug, other than that before I press ALT+TAB the game runs silky smooth. So maybe you are talking about that ? I have Qarls Texture Pack III Installed btw.

3DBrad
07-31-07, 09:14 AM
It's Oblivion, it never has ran good. :p

stncttr908
07-31-07, 09:45 AM
On my setup I get 40+ FPS w/4-8x AA, 8x AF, QTP3 and Captn's LOD mod in the outdoor areas once you get out of the dungeon.

Everything is on high in-game btw.

Destroy
07-31-07, 10:03 AM
Mods are your issue most likely. Stock Oblivion flys in my rig but put on 6 mods (depending what they are) and my frame rate tanks into the low teens very easily.

I'm waiting for the 9800GTX and a new CPU for me to start playing Oblivion again; mods are too nice to play without.

ASUSEN7900GTX
07-31-07, 10:14 AM
ok then i got that classic bug at uninstallation so i am to reinstall winmdows man hate it hate it it takes ages before i get all my apps back and games and mods to thse well cod 2 wonīt install it claims taht msvcr89.dll library canīt be found byt share offie12 and then bla bla

so iīm reinstalling see if that gives oblivion and fear som spunk to it

so what mods shall i use in Oblivion like less castle mods weapons mods armour or just theose texture mods?

CaptNKILL
07-31-07, 11:12 AM
I just did my CPU\mobo upgrade and I noticed that the CPU heavy areas that used to run slow are much faster now (more than twice the framerate), but for some reason the forest areas run far worse than I remember. I don't have any mods installed but I am using some old save files that probably have a lot of left overs in them from using mods.

Seems like more of a driver issue to me though.

ASUSEN7900GTX
07-31-07, 01:01 PM
coz i donīt think a E6850 and 8800GTX does all that big difference....then again maybe it does

i donīt think my system is too....weak? for Oblivion

well see ya soon friends i will now very soon reformat and reinstall my system and oblivion and stuff.

does anyone know of a bench application for Oblivion?

MaXThReAT
07-31-07, 02:43 PM
What resolution and settings are you running at?

Great Oblivion Mod guide. Lots of reading but my mod re-installs always go perfect.
http://devnull.devakm.googlepages.com/home

nopp0x00
07-31-07, 03:07 PM
Hmm, I have the same setup as you and it slows down only because of the Nvidia memory bug, other than that before I press ALT+TAB the game runs silky smooth. So maybe you are talking about that ? I have Qarls Texture Pack III Installed btw.

What memory bug? You know that using QTP3 abuses Video memory, right? Even on a GTX it practically uses up all of the 768MB of ram.

It's not a bug, it's a limitation of the hardware. QTP3 is meant to be used on hardware that have enough Video memory.

I think there's an Oblivion mod out there that frees up usage of memory everytime you enter into a new location. It's supposed to reduce hitching within the game.

Oh and I have a GTX, and with tweaks the game runs very well with QTP3 and without those memory issues that people mistakely attribute to Nvidia drivers.

nopp0x00
07-31-07, 03:09 PM
coz i donīt think a E6850 and 8800GTX does all that big difference....then again maybe it does

i donīt think my system is too....weak? for Oblivion

well see ya soon friends i will now very soon reformat and reinstall my system and oblivion and stuff.

does anyone know of a bench application for Oblivion?

How about you turn down your overclock and try running the game without it? You realize that a poor and unstable overclock can actually cause instabilities and other issues with games, right?

SlieTheSecond
07-31-07, 04:00 PM
How about you turn down your overclock and try running the game without it? You realize that a poor and unstable overclock can actually cause instabilities and other issues with games, right?

What overclocks? According to his sig nothing is overclocked.

ASUSEN7900GTX
07-31-07, 06:08 PM
yeah thatīs right never OC anything not CPU nor GPU so i run all stock speeds

i canīt OC and canīt afford a new rig if something happens

stncttr908
07-31-07, 06:28 PM
Careful overclocking does not destroy hardware. You'd have to frig up pretty bad to blow up an E6600 or your GTS for that matter. Anything short of "Hey, what does this do? Let me turn it ALL THE WAY UP!" will not kill your hardware. ;)

Tork64
07-31-07, 08:03 PM
What memory bug? You know that using QTP3 abuses Video memory, right? Even on a GTX it practically uses up all of the 768MB of ram.

It's not a bug, it's a limitation of the hardware. QTP3 is meant to be used on hardware that have enough Video memory.

I think there's an Oblivion mod out there that frees up usage of memory everytime you enter into a new location. It's supposed to reduce hitching within the game.

Oh and I have a GTX, and with tweaks the game runs very well with QTP3 and without those memory issues that people mistakely attribute to Nvidia drivers.

Its not just with Oblivion its with a number of other games. The game runs fine with no slowdowns then all of a sudden it has MASSIVE drop in frames, I have to press ALT+TAB for the frames to go back to normal. Even Nvidia has acknowledged this bug.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=41351

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1328283#post1328283

ASUSEN7900GTX
07-31-07, 08:30 PM
yeah iīve seen E6600 run at 3.5ghz wich pretty much and requires probably water cooling or some major Cpu fan and case fans

SemperFi
07-31-07, 08:46 PM
Oblivion runs great for me now in full AA glory but this one time (at bandcamp) I played with the SLI settings and it ran like dog poo no matter what I did to try and get it back to default profile settings. A quick uninstall and reinstall of the video drivers fixed the problem.

Quick420
07-31-07, 08:53 PM
ok then i got that classic bug at uninstallation so i am to reinstall winmdows man hate it hate it it takes ages before i get all my apps back and games and mods to thse well cod 2 wonīt install it claims taht msvcr89.dll library canīt be found byt share offie12 and then bla bla

so iīm reinstalling see if that gives oblivion and fear som spunk to it

so what mods shall i use in Oblivion like less castle mods weapons mods armour or just theose texture mods?

Wow thats hard to read ^^^^^

ASUSEN7900GTX
07-31-07, 09:01 PM
i know sometimes i think how it should be and it turns bad so sorry if i type like a kiddo time to time

ASUSEN7900GTX
08-01-07, 03:16 PM
well after a fresh install and only QTP3 and quarls lod10-20 i have around 100+ fps outdoors sometimes it might drop depending on the AA level right now i try SAA 16xs itīs a bit demanding might have to go down to 16xQ or 16x or something but Oblivion runs much better now:D :cool: