PDA

View Full Version : Grrr, still can't get old control panel with 162.18!

Xophile
07-31-07, 06:00 PM
I've tried the registry hack several times but I'm still only getting the new CP.

I have this registry file:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NvCplApi\Policies]
"ContextUIPolicy"=dword:00000001
"TaskbarUIPolicy"=dword:00000001
"CplGroupUIPolicy"=dword:00000002

What's wrong here?

Thanks!

Stevedroid
07-31-07, 09:15 PM
Why not just use the new one? nVidia is committed to the new CP so it was only a matter of time before they got rid of the old one for good.

I know the new CP had it's kinks when it started out, but it's fine now. Once you start using it you'll probably come to like it. I know I wasn't fond of it at first, but now I would never want to adjust my settings in the tiny old CP again.

daforce
08-01-07, 12:55 AM
Yeah the new one is actually pretty good now. And LCD scaling finally works... YAHHOO

Xophile
08-01-07, 11:29 AM
Thanks for your replies guys, but I still want the old CP ;)

Any ideas?

SLippe
08-01-07, 11:57 AM

Any ideas?
Use an older driver. ;)

Xophile
08-01-07, 12:12 PM
I recently installed XP and the latest 162.18 drivers. I applied the registry entries and I got the old CP, but after a reboot I only get the new one and now I canšt get the old one back at all...

easyrider
08-01-07, 09:58 PM
Try this, it's worked in this and many other drivers as well.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NvCplApi\Policies]
"SedonaDisable"=dword:00000002
"ContextUIPolicy"=dword:00000001
"TaskbarUIPolicy"=dword:00000001
"CplGroupUIPolicy"=dword:00000002

Hope it helps, and works, let me know.

Don't see but the one line, but it works ok for me, so not sure.

DJB
08-02-07, 12:21 AM
all you need is the "SedonaDisable"=dword:00000002
Then you can change back and forth between the old and new.

DJB

Stevedroid
08-02-07, 08:14 PM

Any ideas?
You know at some point it really is going to be gone for good, or at least not work correctly. Why delay the inevitable and give yourself a headache trying to get the old one up and running? There's really no rational reason to use the old on anymore. The new one is functionality equivalent and has a much nicer interface. I don't know how I could ever stand adjusting 3D settings in the little 4 line high box in the old CP.

daforce
08-02-07, 09:06 PM
Yeah I have to agree, the latest nvidia control panel is actually pretty damn good.
Now that it has a proper navigation area down the left hand side its actually usable.

easyrider
08-03-07, 01:28 AM
I disagree woth the last 2 posts.
The new cp would be fine IF it had some of the settings I needed.
If you two know how to get this option in the new cp, I would be willing to drop the old cp completely, but I have not found a way, so please feel free to find a way and let me know.
Thje setting I need is in the "Video Overlay" section, and the ption is called Enabled VMR at the bottom left side, wich greays out the rest of the settings in that part. I have found on some web sights I need this, and it fixes what my issue is.
Maybe this is also why some others are wanting the old cp as well, not sure, bnut I do know that the new cp doesn't have anything to do or set in the Video Overlay part, not that I can find anyways.

The registry I use is:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]
"NVCplShowEnableVMR"=dword:00000001

daforce
08-03-07, 01:40 AM
The overlay stuff has had a name change.

Its now called "adjust video color settings" which is under "video and television"
Thats what the overlay is about.

As for VMR.. not sure.. what was it used for.. what does it stand for?

easyrider
08-03-07, 01:51 AM
The overlay stuff has had a name change.

Its now called "adjust video color settings" which is under "video and television"
Thats what the overlay is about.

As for VMR.. not sure.. what was it used for.. what does it stand for?

Not sure exatly, but it fixed my issue I was haveing.
I watch like I think it's cbs, but shows like what about jim, and Boston legal, and lost, and sometimes I am at work, and can't watch them, so I go to thier site, and can watch the full episodes. Well when I play the video, it's like every 2 mins, I get a complete freeze of my system for about 1-2 seconds, then it's fine for about 5 mins and freezes for about 1-2 seconds, and so on, it's basically annoying and unwatchable doing that. I posted in forums, and somone mentioned it sounded like a vmr issue, and gave me a reg to enable that setting, and I check it, and everything works fine then.
Not sure what the name stands for really.

daforce
08-03-07, 02:03 AM
ah ok right.

well it seems it stands for Video Mixing Renderer, weird how it fixed the freezing tho.
There are some other tick boxes.. like inverse telecine which I dont think will help.
But if its only 1 settings which you need and you can access it via reg anyway, then I think your all set. However I believe there must be something wrong elsewere if you had that freezing in the first place. I would find it hard to believe that everyone with a nvidia card would get those freezes.

easyrider
08-03-07, 02:37 AM
ah ok right.

well it seems it stands for Video Mixing Renderer, weird how it fixed the freezing tho.
There are some other tick boxes.. like inverse telecine which I dont think will help.
But if its only 1 settings which you need and you can access it via reg anyway, then I think your all set. However I believe there must be something wrong elsewere if you had that freezing in the first place. I would find it hard to believe that everyone with a nvidia card would get those freezes.
I haven't found any instances, but I have heard it is an issue I guess, not sure, but all the reg does is enable it to be checked, I still have to manually checkmark the box, so just the reg is not enough, and I have not as of yet, found a way to use this within the new cp, or have it auto enabled via a reg file. If nvidia gets rid of the old cp all together, or doesn't make a way to enable it in the new, I will seriously be thinking about going to ati my next buy.

Elvin Presler
08-04-07, 04:37 AM
There's really no rational reason to use the old on anymore.

Temperature monitoring. Reason enough right there. :thumbdwn:

Xophile
08-08-07, 04:26 AM
Easyrider,

you registryhack does not work either... Weird!