PDA

View Full Version : DirectX 10.1 Preview & New Audio Tech

Pages : [1] 2

ChaoticNick
07-31-07, 06:13 PM
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2164632,00.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=529f03be-1339-48c4-bd5a-8506e5acf571&DisplayLang=en&displaylang=en

From MS's site:

"Direct3D 10.1 Tech Preview

Direct3D 10.1 is an incremental, side-by-side update to Direct3D 10.0 that provides a series of new rendering features that will be available in an upcoming generation of graphics hardware.

* TextureCube Arrays which are dynamically indexable in shader code.
* An updated shader model (shader model 4.1).
* The ability to select the MSAA sample pattern for a resource from a palette of patterns, and retrieve the corresponding sample positions.
* The ability to render to block-compressed textures.
* More flexibility with respect to copying of resources.
* Support for blending on all unorm and snorm formats.

This tech preview provides an early look at these features and the handful of new APIs that support them. The August 2007 Direct3D 10.1 Tech Preview requires the Windows Vista SP1 Beta which will be available to MSDN subscribers once it is publicly released.

XAudio2 Beta: New Cross-Platform Audio API

The August release includes Beta 1 of XAudio2. XAudio2 is a new cross-platform audio API (Windows and Xbox 360) that is based on the Xbox 360 XAudio API. XAudio2 is a low-level audio signal processing library for Windows XP and Windows Vista providing a fully modern audio pipeline, including:

* Multi-channel and surround-sound support with full per-channel volume and mapping control.
* Programmable, cross-platform DSP effects framework.
* Per-voice filtering, arbitrary submixing, and multi-rate processing.
* Multicore optimized, non-blocking API design.
* Pluggable and generalized 3D spatialization support, with a full-featured implementation provided by the independent X3DAudio math library.

XAudio2 is designed to be the game-audio API that will replace DirectSound.

Please visit the Microsoft Connect XAudio2 Beta website for feedback, bug reporting, links to discussion forums, and an audio feedback survey."

I suppose we'd need SP1 AND DX10.1 hardware though...

Lith1um
08-03-07, 10:58 PM
Interesting bit of news, thanks.

DRen72
08-03-07, 11:11 PM
XAudio2 sounds pretty good.

XxDeadlyxX
08-04-07, 01:01 AM
Yay, I hope every game from now has OpenAL at least until XAudio2 comes along, unlike C&C3 which was released after Vista yet still used DirectSound.

$n][pErMan
08-04-07, 09:26 PM
How about we get some DX10 games out and get them working good first.... :p

jAkUp
08-04-07, 09:52 PM
What about tesselation?

breathemetal
08-04-07, 10:17 PM
[pErMan']How about we get some DX10 games out and get them working good first.... :p

QFT!

Bokishi
08-05-07, 01:23 AM
[pErMan']How about we get some DX10 games out and get them working good first.... :p

Yeah man, this newly announced tech ain't exciting me at all lol

jcrox
08-05-07, 02:41 AM

+1

We haven't got a decent DX10 game yet and 10.1 is coming out?? Sounds like it graphics wise it will mostly just be a sticker on the video card boxes for a while.

retsam
08-05-07, 07:48 AM
+1

We haven't got a decent DX10 game yet and 10.1 is coming out?? Sounds like it graphics wise it will mostly just be a sticker on the video card boxes for a while.
so that hasent happened in the past?why does everyone always act critiaclly when a new version of an api comes out..giod, im so sick and tired of listening to poeple whine about this stuff as if this hasnt been happening for the longest time...

Rakeesh
08-05-07, 11:31 AM
Yay, I hope every game from now has OpenAL at least until XAudio2 comes along, unlike C&C3 which was released after Vista yet still used DirectSound.

What else would they use? OpenAL still requires directsound on 95% of the sound cards out there, and its not as if they removed directsound from vista.

hell_of_doom227
08-05-07, 01:56 PM
Dx API is nothing but crap. A new ID tech5 OpenGL engine is more exciting then DX10.1. Can't wait for OpenGL 3.0.

Redeemed
08-05-07, 01:59 PM
Dx API is nothing but crap. A new ID tech5 OpenGL engine is more exciting then DX10.1. Can't wait for OpenGL 3.0.
:wtf:

Really, drugs are bad. Stop while you have some resemblance of a brain remaining.

Rakeesh
08-06-07, 03:58 AM

Really, drugs are bad. Stop while you have some resemblance of a brain remaining.

No kidding. If you are going to complain about a new technology, at least know what the hell you are talking about first.

vläd
08-08-07, 11:17 PM
ExtremeTech (http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,2168429,00.asp?kc=ETRSS02129TX1K0000532) has a new article with DirectX 10.1 details from SIGGRAPH.

"...The highlights are as follows:

* DirectX 10.1 is a series of extensions to DirectX 10
* It's supported by upcoming graphics hardware, but not current DX10 hardware
* It requires (and will be part of) Vista Service Pack 1

This is business as usual, as far as DirectX is concerned. DX 10.1 hardware will be backwards compatible with DirectX 10, but current DX10 hardware won't be forward compatible. So games looking to support DX 10.1 still need a DX 10 rendering path to support today's DX10 cards. Think of it like when Microsoft released DirectX 9.0c with added Shader Model 3.0 support."

DRen72
08-09-07, 08:57 AM
ExtremeTech (http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,2168429,00.asp?kc=ETRSS02129TX1K0000532) has a new article with DirectX 10.1 details from SIGGRAPH.

This is business as usual, as far as DirectX is concerned. DX 10.1 hardware will be backwards compatible with DirectX 10, but current DX10 hardware won't be forward compatible. So games looking to support DX 10.1 still need a DX 10 rendering path to support today's DX10 cards. Think of it like when Microsoft released DirectX 9.0c with added Shader Model 3.0 support."Sounds good to me. Looks like progress. I imagine a lot of us will be picking up a 9800GTX in a few months and those will no doubt support this extension. No worries.

SavagePaladin
08-12-07, 06:00 AM
XAudio 2 should rock. DirectSound has been mostly unchanged for over ten years...it's about damn time MS noticed they needed to do something.

As for DX10.1, meh. The .1s on DX are never all that impressive, for obvious reasons.

Absolution
08-13-07, 05:11 AM

actually he is right

and a lot of developers would agree

almost all shaddy ports are directly to directx because its the easier and less efficient of the two languages

a game written in opengl that is graphically equall to its directx equivilant will run faster

it was true back when the original half life came out and continues to this day. . .

SavagePaladin
08-13-07, 08:59 PM
Try almost all shoddy ports are DX because almost all is DX to begin with.

OGL is faster, theres not much denying that, for reasons I'm not going to bother going over, but it has less features (except via extensions, which complicate things) and gets the features it does get a lot slower.

DX has improved a hell of a lot over where it used to be, and has made this whole OGL/DX argument irrelevant. Both have their places, both work great, and for the most part the only people who say otherwise are Linux fanatics.

Redeemed
08-13-07, 10:09 PM
Try almost all shoddy ports are DX because almost all is DX to begin with.

OGL is faster, theres not much denying that, for reasons I'm not going to bother going over, but it has less features (except via extensions, which complicate things) and gets the features it does get a lot slower.

DX has improved a hell of a lot over where it used to be, and has made this whole OGL/DX argument irrelevant. Both have their places, both work great, and for the most part the only people who say otherwise are Linux fanatics.

QFT.

I fully support all the verying Linux distros and OpenGL... but to say that DX is pure garbage in comparison is ignorance to the infinite degree.

With DX9's appearance we had FarCry. The only OpenGL game to even come close to FarCry's graphic quality was Doom3... and that wasn't out till nearly a year after FarCry's release (if memory serves me correctly). Even still Doom3 fell short compared to FarCry's visuals in many areas.

Look at HL2... no OpenGL game that I've seen to date offers the same level of realism for characters that HL2 offers... including facial expressions. Quake4, Prey? Yeah right, you have to be joking if you think those are comparable in that area.

OpenGL is great, and I fully support it, and I'd love to see more developers using it. My dream would be to have it split 50/50- 50% of titles released using DX and 50% of titles released using OpenGL... that'd be the sweet spot in my opinion. But it is not that way, and for good reasons.

svetli_pp
08-14-07, 02:31 AM
Well if you think facial expressions have something to do with the graphics api you are totally ignorant of 3d and game development. Sorry if I offend you.

SavagePaladin
08-14-07, 08:55 AM
And now you're putting words into his mouth. All he said was that the level of detail put into some DX titles has not been seen on OGL titles. He did not imply that was a negative on OGL.

Quick420
08-14-07, 09:34 AM

This is business as usual, as far as DirectX is concerned. DX 10.1 hardware will be backwards compatible with DirectX 10, but current DX10 hardware won't be forward compatible. So games looking to support DX 10.1 still need a DX 10 rendering path to support today's DX10 cards. Think of it like when Microsoft released DirectX 9.0c with added Shader Model 3.0 support."

DX10.1 requires NEW HARDWARE.............lol f-you.Now I know we are being taken advantage of.They inticed most us with DX10,it didnt have the desired effect(flop so far) So instead of tweaking or fixing performance they call for new hardware.UN-FRIGGING BELIEVABLE:thumbdwn:

Rakeesh
08-14-07, 04:39 PM
DX10.1 requires NEW HARDWARE.............lol f-you.Now I know we are being taken advantage of.They inticed most us with DX10,it didnt have the desired effect(flop so far) So instead of tweaking or fixing performance they call for new hardware.UN-FRIGGING BELIEVABLE:thumbdwn:

No, this is just a natural progression of adding effects, functions, etc. You don't have to go out and buy new hardware right away. It probably won't be for a while until you actually see any games take advantage of this. It'll probably be a year or two before they finally do.

We saw the same thing happen back in the DX9 days. Hardware vendors would support some but not all of the dx9 features, and as time progressed they supported more and more of them. If you wanted those higher features, you still had to buy new hardware for it.

There really isn't anything new here. The only difference is now you are aware of what hardware generations will support what features, so now you are complaining when you don't have every single feature available, when there were many times in the past when the same thing happened but you were just unaware of it.

AngelGraves13
08-14-07, 05:47 PM
Just skip 10.1 and wait for 11 if you seem to care so much. Skip the Geforce 9 series and get the 10 series in 2009.