PDA

View Full Version : Pretty newbie at this..

altheman9993
08-01-07, 09:32 AM
hey, first post here. It is also my first time actually building a custom built PC (bare with me :D ). (only just realised how crap some pre-built systems are in value for money) I've done research, reading reviews ect. Also reading diffrent comments on these forums.
So far, I have come down with these specs

EVGA nVidia 650i Ultra
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 4Mb Cache 1333
EVGA GeForce 8800GTX 768MB KO ACS3 (626MHz, 2000MHz)
Western Digital Raptor 74Gb (OS, Gaming and internet)
Corsair TwinX 2GB Kit 800 MHz
Antec Nine Hundred Ultimate Gamer Case
Western Digital Caviar 160Gb (No OS, Storing files, like pictures and music)
Corsair HX620 620 Watt PSU
Zalman CNPS9500-LED (Just incase the stock cooler sucks, and it can give me more chance of overclocking it)

Price :1184.07 Dollars: I believe it's $2403.65

Now just a few questions.
1.) Will the video card fit in the case, I really don't want to be bashing holes in the case first day of buying it >.< If so, could you recommend me a Case that can fit if this is the verdict?
2.) I am rather confused when it comes to power units, people saying 12 v cables ect :confused: , So i'm rather clueless when it comes to PSU's , but is the PSU I have picked capable of powering my machine and futureproofing it for any upgrades that require additional power?
3.)Is the CPU a good choice, I was origonally thinking of getting the 6600 (dual-core),I've heard many good reviews about it, however I have never overclocked before so i'm unsure how :P , but the motherboard does say it has overlocking utilities. (My AMD 3200+ 2.0 Ghz don't like overclocking, the motherboard dosn't have any utilities for it either) I thought that the 3.0 GHz one would do overall, but is it worth getting the Q6600? ( I Think it could be overkill personally )

Thanks, I'm pretty new to this hobbie, I just want a system that can run all my games max, AA x 16 maybe? CoD2, Quake 4, Medieval II total war ect..

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. :jumping:

~al

Revs
08-01-07, 09:42 AM
Everything looks fine. Good choice of hardware :)

The PSU could arguably do with being a bit bigger. It will cope fine, but if ya ever wanted to upgrade to SLI you really would be pushing it. Even now the fans will probably spin up and be annoying. After-market CPU cooler is a must IMO.

MUYA
08-01-07, 10:51 AM
hey, first post here. It is also my first time actually building a custom built PC (bare with me :D ). (only just realised how crap some pre-built systems are in value for money) I've done research, reading reviews ect. Also reading diffrent comments on these forums.
So far, I have come down with these specs

EVGA nVidia 650i Ultra
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 4Mb Cache 1333
EVGA GeForce 8800GTX 768MB KO ACS3 (626MHz, 2000MHz)
Western Digital Raptor 74Gb (OS, Gaming and internet)
Corsair TwinX 2GB Kit 800 MHz
Antec Nine Hundred Ultimate Gamer Case
Western Digital Caviar 160Gb (No OS, Storing files, like pictures and music)
Corsair HX620 620 Watt PSU
Zalman CNPS9500-LED (Just incase the stock cooler sucks, and it can give me more chance of overclocking it)

Price :1184.07 Dollars: I believe it's $2403.65

Now just a few questions.
1.) Will the video card fit in the case, I really don't want to be bashing holes in the case first day of buying it >.< If so, could you recommend me a Case that can fit if this is the verdict?
2.) I am rather confused when it comes to power units, people saying 12 v cables ect :confused: , So i'm rather clueless when it comes to PSU's , but is the PSU I have picked capable of powering my machine and futureproofing it for any upgrades that require additional power?
3.)Is the CPU a good choice, I was origonally thinking of getting the 6600 (dual-core),I've heard many good reviews about it, however I have never overclocked before so i'm unsure how :P , but the motherboard does say it has overlocking utilities. (My AMD 3200+ 2.0 Ghz don't like overclocking, the motherboard dosn't have any utilities for it either) I thought that the 3.0 GHz one would do overall, but is it worth getting the Q6600? ( I Think it could be overkill personally )

Thanks, I'm pretty new to this hobbie, I just want a system that can run all my games max, AA x 16 maybe? CoD2, Quake 4, Medieval II total war ect..

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. :jumping:

~al
16X AA at ultra resolutions maybe pushing it :) Maybe in SLI with 2 8800 GTX. However do not expect that in newer titles or upcoming games. Make sure your monitor purchase also compliments your other purchases!

altheman9993
08-01-07, 11:10 AM
Well at the moment, I got a 17" 1280 x 1024, I'm gonna keep that and gonna seperatly buy a 24" 1920 x 1200 moniter one month later.

EDIT: To my origonal post. Is it worth waiting for anything, Like a price drop or new CPU's ect..?

Revs
08-01-07, 01:42 PM
Well at the moment, I got a 17" 1280 x 1024, I'm gonna keep that and gonna seperatly buy a 24" 1920 x 1200 moniter one month later.

EDIT: To my origonal post. Is it worth waiting for anything, Like a price drop or new CPU's ect..?

New GPU's coming in Nov. The 9800GTX is thought to have double the power of the 8800GTX, price should be similar. New CPU's in new year ish but i'd stick with the one you chose as it's very good performance/price.

Also, I would have a really good read about mobo's. U could probably spend a few more $/ and get a 680i chipset, with SLI ability, more SATA ports and dual LAN!

DRen72
08-01-07, 01:48 PM
EDIT: To my origonal post. Is it worth waiting for anything, Like a price drop or new CPU's ect..?As Revs said, new GPU's are coming in November. You'll do fine with that rig, but I'd highly recommend waiting for that 9800GTX since its so close to release.

jcrox
08-01-07, 02:00 PM
I would double check on the motherboards too. While I am quite happy with this 680i LT I bought it only because the price was right as I plan on a near complete upgrade soon. The 650i is a nice board but, unless you plan on going SLI I would recommend a board with an Intel chipset, even if you are planning on going SLI you should at minimum go with the 680i LT as it has 2 - 16x pci-e slots instead of 2- 8x pci-e slots, I would recommend a straight 680i though over both 680i LT and 650i.

Libertysyclone
08-02-07, 03:52 PM
Agree'd, if you only plan on having a single GPU get the P35 chipset from Gigabyte or Asus.

If you are going SLI get the 680i SLI (maybe the LT version) save some $$

CPU cooler
get a thermalright ultra or a Tuniq tower

I prefer a full tower vs a Mid tower. They are a hell-of-a-lot easier to work in.

That sucsk you arent in the US, Newegg has a screaming deal on a CM stacker combo'd with a 1000w PSU.