PDA

View Full Version : Quest For Glory I: important question

nVJoe
08-01-07, 12:06 PM
I am looking for the free version of Quest For Glory I: So You wanna Be a Hero?
I know they redid this in SVGA and made it a free down load. Does anyone know where I can find this, be sides Google? :D I know it is out there.

Namrok
08-01-07, 12:51 PM
I never knew they made it free. Well, if its anywhere, it'd probably be at Home of the Underdogs. A quick google should find it, I forget the exact address. Underdogs usually catalogs everything that is freeware. If its not there, then its not really freeware.

Man, I remember all the time I spent playing QfG. Good times. Now I have the music stuck in my head!

nVJoe
08-01-07, 01:09 PM
I never knew they made it free. Well, if its anywhere, it'd probably be at Home of the Underdogs. A quick google should find it, I forget the exact address. Underdogs usually catalogs everything that is freeware. If its not there, then its not really freeware.

Man, I remember all the time I spent playing QfG. Good times. Now I have the music stuck in my head!
I am almost certain it is free. If it isn't, it is only $4 to down load a 2meg program. LOL

Yeah it is a great game. I want to play it through again and introduce it to my son. He will love it.

CaptNKILL
08-01-07, 01:57 PM
I am almost certain it is free. If it isn't, it is only $4 to down load a 2meg program. LOL

Yeah it is a great game. I want to play it through again and introduce it to my son. He will love it.
The SVGA version was released as a remake in 1992:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quest_for_Glory_I:_So_You_Want_to_Be_a_Hero

Namrok
08-01-07, 02:02 PM
Concerning the remake, and it being free, you might be confused with Kings Quest. Anonymous Game Developers took it upon themselves to remake Kings Quest 1, and eventually 2, using the SVGA, point & click interface of the latter Sierra Adventure games. They are currently working on Quest for Glory 2 last I heard, if they are still at it. I should really check on them actually.

However, Quest for Glory 1 was remade (I actually only ever played the remake) but to the best of my knowledge, its never been free, unless they released it as freeware to promote Quest for Glory 5 when it came out.

CaptNKILL
08-01-07, 02:05 PM
Here is the anthology for $110 :o

http://www.amazon.com/Quest-for-Glory-Anthology-PC/dp/B000BQYX8S/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-7040089-5721512?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1185994487&sr=8-1

nVJoe
08-01-07, 02:48 PM
Concerning the remake, and it being free, you might be confused with Kings Quest. Anonymous Game Developers took it upon themselves to remake Kings Quest 1, and eventually 2, using the SVGA, point & click interface of the latter Sierra Adventure games. They are currently working on Quest for Glory 2 last I heard, if they are still at it. I should really check on them actually.

However, Quest for Glory 1 was remade (I actually only ever played the remake) but to the best of my knowledge, its never been free, unless they released it as freeware to promote Quest for Glory 5 when it came out.
I think you are right.

I'll just buy the remake. I played the original. LOL pretty colors... I think. LOL!

Rakeesh
08-02-07, 12:26 AM

That would be hard to make QFG2 that way, at least if they did it like the original was. Remember that game mostly consisted of that city which was more like a giant maze. LOL I always had a hard time finding my way around in that one, such a pain in the ass. I remember having a hell of a time trying to find that house to rob on the street called "Sharki Darb" (if I recall correctly,) and I spent a long time trying to figure out where the hell sharki darb was.

LOL, listen to the music with a true(ish) soft synthesizer that is commonly available today, rather than that tone generation crap that 99% of us had back in the days of these games. It's a whole different world.

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arcade/7435/Goodies/Music.htm

I think you are right.

I'll just buy the remake. I played the original. LOL pretty colors... I think. LOL!

Assuming the game even works on todays hardware. I think you'll need a VM simulating an older architecture, probably running windows 98.

I think of all of them I liked QfG3 the best. QfG2 probably the least because of that whole maze mess. QfG4 kinda pissed me off because you HAD to be a paladin in order to play any of the extra content (e.g. the Piotyr thing which was really a huge part of the back story of that game and is gone completely unless you play as a paladin, the rusalka thing also can't be completed unless you are a paladin, etc.) I never played QfG5 though. I played the demo a little bit and wasn't terribly impressed. The rest of them were all very good games though.

Namrok
08-02-07, 09:19 AM
Assuming the game even works on todays hardware. I think you'll need a VM simulating an older architecture, probably running windows 98.

Dosbox my friend, dosbox :D

Last I checked on their compatibility list, all the QfG's work great. Well except 5, don't think that's dos based though.

Rakeesh
08-02-07, 02:47 PM
Dosbox my friend, dosbox :D

Yep, just tried dosbox, works well with 1 (vga) and 3. You can even get GM synthesis from it. BTW, dosbox is effectively a VM, which is why it works so well.

Last I checked on their compatibility list, all the QfG's work great. Well except 5, don't think that's dos based though.

I think QfG5 will probably work in windows XP.

Rakeesh
08-04-07, 10:46 PM
Speak of software synthesis, it turns out that they designed the music score AND the effects of the first two games to be rendered from a Roland MT-32 sound module (I was previously under the assumption it was meant for adlib gold.) There are actually quite a few details here and there that are missing without one, nevermind the poor quality of those older soundcards. So if you want to hear the music and sounds of these games the way the developers intended (which is WAY ahead of other games of this era,) just do this:

Download munt:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/munt/

Get these rom files for use in munt:

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=176023&postcount=7

The post references these instructions for making MT32_CONTROL.ROM:

1. Download the following file http://www.oldcrows.net/~patchell/mt32/mt32.zip. Extract it.
2. Download WinHex http://www.winhex.com/winhex-e.zip
3. Open WinHex and choose File Manager-> Unify -> Bytewise
Click ok and then choose the MT32A.BIN as first file and MT32B.BIN as second file. Write the output to MT32_Control.ROM.

That is an old post though, the newer version of winhex would be tools > file tools > unify > bytewise

Then install munt and configure it as the midi device according to its readme file.

DOSBox supports MT-32 passthrough as well, so play these games in dosbox, and set them to use the MT-32 with their setup programs.

QfG 3 and 4 will run better if you set those to general MIDI as they were developed for that instead, and in windows set your sound device to be the microsoft GM synth.

Something that is also nice for all 3 of these games is to use the advmame3x or super2xsai video scalers in dosbox.

I think you are right.

Oh and BTW, you can find the first 3 (including the remake) on the abandonware site xtcabandonware.com