PDA

View Full Version : Red Faction 3 Under Development!

SH64
08-02-07, 07:11 AM
Destructible environments anyone ?
THQ released its financial results for the Q1 2008, revealing lower revenue ($104 million compared to $138 mill. last year), but less net loss ($9.3 million, compared last year's $12.1 mill.). Sales were mainly driven by Ratatouille, and older titles such as WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2007 and Cars. In the subsequent conference call, CEO Brian Farrell confirmed it is developing Red Faction 3.
http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=44854&mode=thread&order=0

crainger
08-02-07, 07:16 AM
Oh I loved Red Faction. Never played Red Faction 2. Heard it was pretty crap. I'm hoping number 3 is a solid FPS. The first had a great Total Recall style Mars atmosphere and some really satisfying weapons.

SH64
08-02-07, 07:18 AM
Oh I loved Red Faction. Never played Red Faction 2. Heard it was pretty crap. I'm hoping number 3 is a solid FPS. The first had a great Total Recall style Mars atmosphere and some really satisfying weapons.
Yep i played RF1 & 2. 1 ruled & 2 sucked pretty bad.
hopefully 3 carry on the goods of 1.

crainger
08-02-07, 07:24 AM
Hey anyone remember that old vid that had the guys from Summoner playing D&D with one of the guards from Red Faction? I love that clip.

maxpaynez
08-02-07, 08:52 AM
Yep i played RF1 & 2. 1 ruled & 2 sucked pretty bad.
hopefully 3 carry on the goods of 1.

Same here, heres hoping it's like an updated RF 1. MP was a blast... blowing holes in walls to escape rocked.

ArrowMk84
08-02-07, 09:01 AM
I'd rather have a Freespace 3, but that's not going to happen, especially now that he that shall not be named* has the rights to it.

*If that's too cryptic, think Battlecruiser 3000AD. I dare not risk naming him, lest he Google his name and flame us!

Thingding
08-02-07, 09:21 AM
Seriously from a guy who only played Red Faction.. last year, there was only one outstanding thing about it and that was the greenhouse tech demo level where you could blow a deep hole in the floor with rockets, fall into it, and have no possible way to get back out again without committing suicide. If ever a game needed a grappling hook, this is it.

RAY16
08-02-07, 10:37 AM
The first Red Faction was... decent at best. The only awesome thing it really had going for it was Geomod, which unfortunately was totally underutilized throughout the game. It was playable though, and mostly enjoyable on the first run through, but I never could make it through another run.

Red faction 2 was just ass.

Hopefully this one will be the best in the series, and with the power inside current console and computer hardware there's no reason why they can't use Geomod to its full potential. I want to see it deeply integrated in the level design and not just have it there because it looks cool and because you may occasionally be able to blast a few holes through a wall and bypass a small section of the map.

jAkUp
08-02-07, 12:50 PM
RF1 was sweet :D

Tomato
08-02-07, 07:38 PM
Yeah,

I would MUCH rather have FS3......... Oh gee another Shooter.

crainger
08-02-07, 09:01 PM
I'd rather have a Freespace 3, but that's not going to happen, especially now that he that shall not be named* has the rights to it.

*If that's too cryptic, think Battlecruiser 3000AD. I dare not risk naming him, lest he Google his name and flame us!

LOL. Does he really have the right to Freespace? :(

ArrowMk84
08-03-07, 08:51 AM
LOL. Does he really have the right to Freespace? :(

Actually, he may not, according to Wikipedia. The entry says he was interested, and I remember a flame war breaking out between him and the FS2 mod community (in which Mr. Smartass threaten to sue the modders...).

With any luck, he doesn't have the license.

muaddib
08-03-07, 10:18 AM
Though 1 was much better, they were both good. Played them both in my PS2... It was a unique and atmospheric experience, especially considering it is a PS2 game.

|MaguS|
08-03-07, 12:39 PM
I hope this is alot more like the first, the sequel just felt flat.

SH0DAN
08-04-07, 10:07 PM
I hope this is alot more like the first, the sequel just felt flat.

I very much agree with this asessment.

SH64
02-05-08, 05:37 PM
Some few details revealed :
In the subsequent investors conference call THQ CEO Brian Farrell revealed that Red Faction III is being developed by Volition for PS3, X360 and PC. Scheduled for fiscal 2009 (April 2008 - March 2009) RF3 will focus on interactive environments and destruction.
http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=49460&mode=thread&order=0
Great news!

|MaguS|
02-05-08, 05:51 PM
Wait the enviroments are going to be interactive and destructible? OMG, Why didn't they ever think of that for the first!??! :p

LORD-eX-Bu
02-05-08, 05:54 PM
oh noes.

malachi1313
02-05-08, 06:32 PM
had alot of fun with red faction. Hope this one is as good

NaitoSan
02-05-08, 06:35 PM
Awesome, Volition is on it again. Hopefully it's a lot better than 2nd game (imo, it was pretty disappointing)

JigenD
02-05-08, 07:28 PM
Yep, universal agreement, 1st was very cool but not perfect, 2nd was complete ****.

Technology has advanced enough that I also hope the Geomod type stuff has advanced some. It won't be too good if it's basically the same only with a nice Havok on top of that...

Sobbsy
02-05-08, 10:36 PM
Geomod is so simple it's, well, it's actually quite funny. I have absolutely no doubt with todays advancements and incredible precision of effects, we could see some incredibly detailed destuction 'models' in place. Unfortunately, all it takes is a ****ty budget and suddenly we get RF1 Geomod with better textures :P

Can't wait. I still play RF dedicatedly to this day. RF2 was shamefull in so many ways.

Atomizer
02-05-08, 11:24 PM
Red Faction 3 really has alot to prove in todays market, I mean, while Crysis doesnt have actual geomod like stuff built in, its got alot of destructable content, and most new FPS games are getting this destructable environment feature.

Id be expecting at least Crysis level destruction + geomod type stuff, hopefully with terrain deformation, I want to shoot/dig myself a cave!