PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Me :( S.T.A.L.K.E.R in Vista :/

blackmanta
08-02-07, 01:39 PM
hey all i really need help here, i have windows vista 32-bit ultimate edition and the only game i have installed is S.T.A.L.K.E.R and i realise that vista hates Stalker as it crash non stop to the desktop, yes i've read the vista fix for it, but i guess it confuses me just a bit cause it doesn't seem to be working but thanks to a member named Greeno i figured out how to enter the bcdedit stuff, but i'm not sure if i'm doing any of it right, can someone please explain the fix to me, i need it explained cleary if someone wouldn't mind because this is driving me crazy and i'm so frustrated and i just want it to work *sighs* this is what i followed froim the other post i read i didn't really understandd the run as admin stuff:

"Now, I don't have S.T.A.L.K.E.R

But :-

"Now comes the additionally part for Vista32:

You have to go to start-program-equipment. Now you have to right click on input-request and start as Administrator.

Equals - "Start --> All Programs --> Accessories --> Run (As Administrator) It's important it says "This task will be created with administritive privileges"
Now enter: bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 3072

Simply paste :- bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 3072 and click run, you'll see a black screen pop up and disappear again quickly... reboot and you should be set... it's kinda like using the /3GB switch in XP.

After that you have to restart Vista. This is important!

He also wrotes:

The adress area for windows maschines is short and this trick only helps applications that are prepared to use more than 2 GB. Like the trick with "App can handle> 2gb adressest". You should only use the trick for exceptional cases."

- Hope that helps, although, perhaps it's the second part you're struggling with?"

thank you very much in advance for taking a few minutes to help me, i'm desperate and grateful

Electronic Punk
08-02-07, 01:47 PM
Daft one, but have you patched to the latest version?
I found it ran alot better then.

A new patch should be out "soon" that will optimise the game a little more as well.

Seadogs
08-02-07, 01:49 PM
I "think" I see what you are getting at. I used to have to use that workaround but I haven't needed it since the latest patch.

Anyways, here's the same setup, explained a little easier to understand.

http://fsx-tweaks.4t.com/CTD.html

Look on the notes for editing the FSX.exe file. Just substitute stalker, it's the same fix.

EDIT: Whatever you do back up your original .exe, It will not patch correctly without it.

blackmanta
08-02-07, 01:59 PM
Daft one, but have you patched to the latest version?
I found it ran alot better then.

A new patch should be out "soon" that will optimise the game a little more as well.

yeah i have the latest patch 0003 or something

blackmanta
08-02-07, 01:59 PM
I "think" I see what you are getting at. I used to have to use that workaround but I haven't needed it since the latest patch.

Anyways, here's the same setup, explained a little easier to understand.

http://fsx-tweaks.4t.com/CTD.html

Look on the notes for editing the FSX.exe file. Just substitute stalker, it's the same fix.

EDIT: Whatever you do back up your original .exe, It will not patch correctly without it.
thanks i'll take a look at that and yeah i do have the newest patch

blackmanta
08-02-07, 02:00 PM
oh and i have 2GB's in my system

blackmanta
08-02-07, 02:36 PM
ok so none of that worked, i downloaded the program and ran it and followed the instructions and first off the app 2GB thing was already enabled, so i unchecked and re checked and then savced, ooops nah won't save, so i had to change the file name and save it to desktop, so then i go to command prompt and copy and paste this: bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 3072 and pressed enter nah access denied so what the hell?

EDIT: yeah when i try to save it, it says can't overwrite original file, this has me frustrated to no end, its effing ridiculous

Seadogs
08-02-07, 04:09 PM
ok so none of that worked, i downloaded the program and ran it and followed the instructions and first off the app 2GB thing was already enabled, so i unchecked and re checked and then savced, ooops nah won't save, so i had to change the file name and save it to desktop, so then i go to command prompt and copy and paste this: bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 3072 and pressed enter nah access denied so what the hell?

EDIT: yeah when i try to save it, it says can't overwrite original file, this has me frustrated to no end, its effing ridiculous

Hmmm. When you open the command prompt, try right clicking and selecting "Run as administrator"

blackmanta
08-02-07, 04:20 PM
Hmmm. When you open the command prompt, try right clicking and selecting "Run as administrator"
ok gonna try and your litterally the only person helping me, i'm super grateful!!

EDIT: i've reinstalled Stalker and i'm starting the process all over again and this time when i ran that program the 2GB thing was unchecked so i checked and clicked save but it will not let me overwrite the file *sighs*

blackmanta
08-02-07, 04:30 PM
ok it let me enter and patch bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 3072 in command prompt but its still not letting me saved in the CFF Explorer program -_-

noko
08-08-07, 12:17 AM
I am using Vista 64 and Stalker crashes to desktop everytime I try to save or get killed. Using lastest patch as far as I know. Has anyone any luck with this game in Vista? Vista 64?

grey_1
08-08-07, 03:54 AM
I am using Vista 64 and Stalker crashes to desktop everytime I try to save or get killed. Using lastest patch as far as I know. Has anyone any luck with this game in Vista? Vista 64?
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89138&highlight=Vista

This worked for me. ymmv, lloks like blackmanta not having to much luck with it. Hoping the next patch will make it much more playable.